Revelation Bible Study #32 Behold I Am Coming Soon
Revelation Series #32
Behold I am Coming Soon
What a glorious end to the Canon of Scripture we have here
What a glorious end to the Revelation of Jesus Christ
This angelic guide, one of the priestly angels that came from before God, that poured the bowls of God’s wrath on the earth, now closes his prophesy
Remember that this prophesy is given from Father to Son and from Son to US through this Angel of Revelation. This Messenger of Revelation.
As he speaks, he speaks FOR God, he speaks with God’s 1st person words, God’s Urgency, God’s Authority and Certainty.
He Speaks FOR Christ and he does not diffuse the words, so it can be difficult to follow unless you take that into account.
After Revealing what John has seen in the Revelation of Christ in chapter ONE. Hearing what God had to say to the 1st Century Churches in chapters 2 and 3 and teaches the church from every generation.
John was translated to Heaven, as is the Church, in Chapter 4 and The Scroll of Prophesy and ownership is opened by the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, Worthy to take the scroll.
This 7 Sealed book is opened, the political, physical, commercial, economic, religious landscapes of the world change. God begins to judge the sinfulness of this world
He calls a holy, Israel back to himself
144,000 Evangelists proclaim Jesus as Messiah yet most of the world mocks as they follow Satan’s spiritual “son” in the Antichrist, the Man of Sin, the Beast of the Sea.
The False Prophet the Beast of the Earth unites the world to worship the Antichrist, in the middle of a 7 year treaty with Israel, the Beast begins to persecute Israel
God protects his people, an innumerable number come to Christ, die as martyrs, and are recognized as true believers
7 Trumpets of Judgment Sound bringing further wrath and judgment
IN the 7th Trumpet, 7 vials of God’s worst wrath are emptied in Justice from the Holy of Holies to avenge the truth, and God’s people.
Jesus Christ will split the sky at the end of that 7 year period, riding a White Horse, with the Word of God proceeding from his mouth, he will vanquish every foe, snatch beast and prophet and cast them into the Lake of Fire. Satan will be interred in the Abyss for 1000 years. All of God’s enemies will be destroyed and God will establish Christ as ruler from Jerusalem for 1000 years with his Bride, the Church, and the Old and Testament and Tribulation Saints reigning with him. Then Satan will be released on last time, will deceive some who were born during the Tribulation and attempt again to destroy God’s people and his Holy City, only to be destroyed by the fire of God. Satan will be cast in Hell, then all those who have not had time for Christ will stand before God at the Great White Throne, where their deeds will be judged. If they have never received Christ as Savior will follow Beast, Prophet, and Satan into hell for ever and ever.
Then the New Jerusalem will come down out of Heaven, Beautiful, Shining, gloriously, perfect in every way. There will be a New Heaven, New Earth, New Sea, a River of Life flowing from the Throne, the Tree of Life lining it. Eternity will begin with us living as God intended in this universe.
In light of this amazing revelation we come to the end of the book, the end of the scriptures.
“Behold I am Coming SOON” –
That is our outline for this final lesson
I Am Coming
Jesus says this THREE times
V7 – “Behold I’m coming soon!”
V12 – “Behold I’m coming soon!”
V20 – “Yes, I am coming soon.” --- like he is saying … “yep, I’m coming soon … have I said that already?”
Let’s look at that phrase
1. Behold –
idou /id-oo/ SEE … LO … BEHOLD – we don’t use the word “LO” very often but it is a middle English word used to draw attention or show wonder or surprise --- it is like we would use the word “HEY” or “Look” – In light of all this Revelation all that you have seen and learned … “LOOK, HEY, Pay Attention”
A. Look – Pay Attention – Where? To What?
1. Look Up --- Lift Your Head – take your focus off of the struggles, difficulties, inhumanities, inconsistencies, of this world, LOOK, “HEY, I’m coming”
2. this word is being used as if to say … “your understanding is different now, look, you don’t have the same perspective, don’t be the same person you were!”
The same word is in 2 Cor 5:17 if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature, the old things have passed and BEHOLD … (look) the New has come.”
Take notice, change your perspective … JESUS IS COMING … HEY … LOOK … THINK … BEHOLD
3. Look at this world in light of this understanding and revelation – HEY look around … He is COMING …are we ready? Are they ready?
B. Yes --- I am coming Soon –
1. he says BEHOLD two times then he says “yes” --- the first two have exclamation points the last doesn’t … after a final call and warnings not to corrupt this word, he just says YES … there I CERTAINTY in these words of Jesus
2. v 6 says these words are TRUSTWORTHY (FAITHFUL) and TRUE
a. trustworthy --- pistos 1) means a person who if faithful in business transactions 2) trust to execute his promises or commands 3) one that can be relied on
b. true --- alethinos /al-ay-thee-nos/ = that which has not only the name and resemblance, but the real nature corresponding to the name, in every respect corresponding to the idea signified by the name, real, true, genuine --- You and I are TRUTHFUL at times, but JESUS is the complete epitome of the name in every aspect so … YES …
3. because I am faithful to complete the business we have where I’ve already made a deposit in the Holy Spirit and because I execute the commands I say I’m going to, because you can rely on me, because I am TRUE, not just in appearance or in name but in nature; YES I am coming soon
Psalm 119:89 your word, O Lord, is eternal it stands firm in the heavens.
119:152 – Long ago I learned from your statues that you established them forever
199:160 – all your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal
Isaiah 40:6-8 all men are like grass, and all their glory is like flowers in the field. 7 the grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the Lord blows on them. Surely the people are grass. 8 The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.
That word STANDS means FIXED … SET IN PLACE … WILL NOT BE MOVED
If Christ said it … you can mark it down
Take it at Face value
Take it to the Bank
Take him at his Word
PAY ATTENTION to this prophesy … because
2. I Am Coming
A. Blessed v6– makarios – blessed, happy is the one who KEEPS the Words of this Prophesy
1. it doesn’t say “blessed are the ones who have this prophesy all figured out
2. I know some people who have this out of place and they are smug and satisfied because they think they have it figured out … that is NOT what he is saying here
3. blessed is the one who KEEPS the words of this prophesy
a. the NASB says HEEDS … the NLT says OBEYS …
b. tereo /tay-reh-o/ = to attend to carefully, to guard, to observe
c. how do we KEEP the word of Prophesy or OBEY Prophesy if it is just telling us what is going to happen?
1) BELIEVE IT – when we don’t believe this word of prophesy … “oh God won’t do that”, or “I could never imagine that”, or “I don’t believe God works that way” … we lose the happiness, the joy, that this Revelation was intended to bring
2) when we adjust our lives to come in line with the provisions of the prophesy --- Happiness comes when we realize that this prophesy is true and we embrace it with our lives. We live like he is heir of all things, king of kings, Lord of lords, is coming again, we give our lives to him, we live as if he may come TODAY … that is where the Blessing comes
Titus 2:11-13 – For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 it teaches us to say ‘no’ to ungodliness and world passions, and to live self controlled, upright godly lives in this present age 13 while we wait for the blessed hope – the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
B. “My Reward is with me” v12 –
1. when the boys were little and I would be gone on a ministry trip, I would talk to them every day and some time in the conversation the question would come up … “are you going to bring me something?” And usually the response would be “did I tell you I would bring you something?” or “don’t I always bring you something?” The reward for the separation was that I was coming back like I promised and I was bringing something with me
2. Let me say that first that HE is our reward – The Lord told Abram …
Genesis 15:1 “do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward”
3. Ps 18:24 the Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight
4. Ps 62:12 … you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done
5. Those who have rejected him will have THEIR reward and those who have embraced him will have their reward
a. first it is HIM
b. 2nd there IS a reward for our righteousness … 1 Cor 3:8-15 says that our useless acts, as believers, will be burned up, but the righteous acts will remain and we will be rewarded
c. we learned that as the Bride of Christ our Righteous Acts are what we make the fine white linen in which we are clothed with at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb
d. for those apart from Christ the only thing that will matter is what have you done with Jesus Christ
C. I Am Alpha and Omega
1. I started this world I will bring it to the proper conclusion
2. I am the beginning and the end, I am first and last
3. Don’t follow a TREND, Follow the Winner.
** Shell Houston Open … we started out following Vijay Singe awhile, and John Daly awhile, but he wasn’t doing too well, so we followed Tom Kite, because we wanted to see him play and he was leading, but by the 3rd Day he was slipping out of the lead and by the 4th day … Craig Stadler was in the lead and we started following him. He came all the way down to the last hole and we followed him all the way, but he ended in a tie, then they played the 10th hole again, and the 18th again, and the 10th and the 18th, and ultimately … Mike Heinen won. WHO? We tried to follow the winner, but ultimately we found we were just following another one who would lose.
Follow the Winner, Jesus Christ, IS the winner, he is the Champion, he is the creator, he is the Sustainer, and he is the Ultimate winner
But the final thing I wanted to say about that fact that he is Coming … is
He tells us he is Coming because he is calling one last time …
D. Come to Me … PLEASE
1. “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony, …” That is what Jesus has done throughout ever generation … he sent the Angel to John, John as an Angel to tell the people through writing, and every preacher, pastor, teacher, evangelist, lay person witnessing, is an angel giving the same message, JESUS IS COMING, COME TO HIM
2. Jesus is calling to Come
3. The Spirit is calling to COME
4. The Bride says Come
5. The Believer --- he who hears says Come
6. Of course the call of the Spirit, and the Bride, and the Individual Believer is for CHRIST to COME … When Life hurts, we call for Jesus to come; when the day is hard … COME … When the night is DARK … COME … when we don’t know if we can go on … COME
7. But it is also a call for the Thirsty – I see thirsty people all around
a. the drug addict thirsty for a fix – COME – and never thirst again
b. the one thirsty for affection – COME – and know what true love and acceptance is - COME
c. the one looking for wealth – COME – and let him teach you the value of all things - COME
d. the one longing for power – COME – HE is King and Lord - COME
e. the child without a Father or Mother – COME – he will never leave us as orphans - COME
f. the Abused and Abuser – COME – HE will fill your need and take away the pain
g. the self-satisfied – COME – for your well is inadequate, you don’t know satisfaction COME
COME COME COME
8. “Whoever Wishes” – Whosoever will --- I believe this word don’t you? We would make the gospel more difficult if it were us … but we must take him at his word --- Come to take the Free Gift of the Water of Life. But if we believe the Word of God we find hope here, for sharing and receiving the Gospel
Dr. Criswell says it this way using the Greek to illuminate it … the word here is the word ho thelon – “Whoever wishes or wills” – then I’ll save him
“When the sainted Apostle John wrote this concluding invitation to all of these Holy Scriptures, the Spirit of the Lord inspired the Apostle John, saying, "Don't write there, ‘ho ginoskon – whosoever understandeth, let him come.’
"Don't write there, ‘Ho lambanon, whosoever receiveth, let him come.'
"Don't write there, ‘Ho paschon, whosoever feeleth, let him come.'
"Don't write there, ‘Ho pisteuon, whosoever believeth, let him come.'
"Don't write there, ‘Ho philon, whosoever loveth, let him come.'
"But John, in this last epistle, write there, ‘Ho thelon, whosoever will, let him come.' I'll receive him, blot out his sins, write his name in the Book of Life, regenerate his life now, and save him to heaven in the world that is to come. Ho thelon, whosoever will, let him come." (W.A. CRISWELL)
If you want it, and will take it, here it is COME
Do you remember what the Prodigal son said, when he had wasted and lost all and was eating with the hogs in the pits? He said “I will”. “I will rise and go to my Father … I will”
There must be a decision and whosoever will, whoever wishes, may, can, should, COME
We are TOO poor to BUY IT
We are NOT smart enough to understand it
We are NOT good enough to earn it
But God said, LOOK to ME and be Saved all the earth
Jesus Said like Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness … whoever looks to me … they simply looked at the Serpent …
I am Coming …
By the way … Daniel was told to “seal up his prophesy” John was told to REVEAL his prophesy.
No one really understood Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and the others … until John gave this Revelation of Jesus Christ.
John was instructed to right them … because of the Certainty and the Immanency of his return
A. Sooner than you think
1. I always say at funerals that death always comes one day sooner than you expected
2. Jesus is coming soon, maybe not soon like you think, but sooner than you expect
B. When you Least Expect it
1. he is coming like a thief
2. no one expects a thief
3. thieves come without warning
4. thieves come when others feel most secure
C. Don’t be Unguarded
1. col. 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful
2. Luke 12:35+ be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning … it will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes, I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, and will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night
D. Don’t Be Discouraged
1. Jesus will DO what he said he will do, but the time table may not be what we think
2. Joseph was told to name the child “Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins” (Mt 1:21) --- Jesus is STILL the name he goes by here … He IS the one who WILL save his people from their sins, who WILL redeem, who is faithful to complete what he promised --- Jesus, the Savior, born, lived, died, resurrected, ascended, and sent this message because he will return SOON
3. SOON --- that word … the phrase, the time is NEAR is found often in the scripture and here in the Revelation – the word tachu / takh-oo/ speedily, without delay
Paul uses the same word in Acts 17:15 and it is translated “as quickly as possible” or I am coming at any moment, when it is best, as soon as I’m able.
The meaning that was received and understood to mean that he could come AT ANY MOMENT, any minute, day, hour, any second. But Jesus said it wasn’t for US to KNOW the TIME or the HOUR, or the DAY … just be busy …
We do not know when Jesus will come in Judgment
In the Old Testament when God’s Presence would enter the Holy of Holies a cloud would cover the Mercy seat so it couldn’t be seen.
So today, the details and times of God’s Judgment are shrouded from our sight and knowledge, it is only for God to know
Whether a day or thousands of years doesn’t really matter in God’s time table
2 Peter 3 says God is NOT slow as some consider slowness, or he is not lazy, he is waiting for MORE to come into grace, truth, mercy, and life, he would that NONE would perish.
His delay is evidence of his grace and mercy, his GLORY that he is slow to anger and rich in mercy
He is coming ANY moment, as soon as possible, within God’s timetable
Jesus says “YES … I am Coming Soon”
Remember Paul said that Jesus was the YES to Every Promise of God
The answer to every question we could have from Christ is in verse 20 “Yes my child, I am Coming Soon”
“Daddy are we every going to get there”
“Yes … soon”
“Daddy are you going to take care of the bully down the street?”
“Yes, Child, I’m coming soon
“Daddy what about those who abuse your word, don’t believe your word, add to your word, or take away from your word?”
“Yes, I know, don’t worry about them, I am coming soon”
“Daddy do you love me”
“Yes … I am coming for you”
“Daddy will I make it through another day”
Yes … I am coming soon
How should we respond to This Revelation
The Spirit leads the way and says COME
The Church says COME
The Individual Believer says COME
We should Call the World To Come – Come all who are weary, Come all who are hungry, Come all who are thirsty, Come all who are empty … Come to Christ, he IS the only Hope. I may not know about Tomorrow, but I KNOW who does
And we Should call Christ to COME … In response to the Entire Revelation of Jesus Christ, the good, the bad, the plain, the veiled, the easy to understand the hard to comprehend, sweet, and the difficult to swallow … in response to it all we say “Even So, Lord Jesus, AMEN, YES, SO be it, COME
We Say “Your Kingdom Come, Your Will Be Done … On Earth as it Is in heaven” – that’s How Jesus taught us to pray … you may have never seen it before … but Jesus taught us to pray with an EYE on Eternity, and EYE on HEAVEN
Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy Name
Thy Kingdom Come
Thy Will be Done
On Earth as it is in Heaven
Give us this Day our Daily Bread
Forgive us our Trespasses
As we forgive those who Trespass against us
Lead us not into Temptation
But Deliver us from Evil
Deliver us From Evil
For Yours is the Kingdom, the power, the glory
Every time we pray … we should have an eye on Eternity
God is exalted in Heaven and he will come to us
His Kingdom shall reign
He will provide for us today as a promise for what Eternity Holds
Our Sins will be wiped away
Temptation will be no more
He WILL deliver Us from All Evil
Pray with your heart set on Eternity!!
… and it will change the way you come to God
Now, may the grace of the Lord Jesus, that gave us this Revelation though undeserved, be with all of you … God’s People, AMEN! LET IT BE SO! AMEN!
Wednesday Night Bible study Fall 2005-Spring 2006
The following resources were used among others in preparation
Revelation Four Views: A Parallel Commentary – Steve Gregg
W.A. Criswell Expository Sermons on Revelation
Dr. J.A. Seiss Expositions on Revelations
MacArthur Bible Studies: Revelation – John MacArthur
Dr. David Jeremiah Expositions on Revelation
The Pulpit Commentary: Revelation
Wiersbe: The Bible Exposition Commentary