Revelation Bible Study #26 Victorious White Horse Rider
Victorious White Horse Rider
As we begin today let's remember Revelation 1:17b-18
“Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
We need not fear the future, we need not fear the time of the end
At the beginning of the Revelation Christ speaking tells us
"Do not be afraid …"
Then he gives us 7 reasons NOT to Fear and they are ALL wrapped up in who he is
So this is a 7-fold Christ reason not to fear because he said
I am the First
I am the Last
I am the Living One
I was Dead
I am Alive for ever and ever
I hold the key to Death
I hold the key to Hades
If you know of another that can not only MAKE those claims, but also BACK UP those claims … FOLLOW HIM / HER or IT
You will NOT find any other that can make that claim …
Because Jesus IS … FIRST, Last, Living like a flowing river, was Dead, is alive forever and ever, and controls the grave and all that comes after the grave is the controller of reward or punishment, heaven or hell
I need not be afraid if I am in relationship with him
Now, lest you think that Revelation is the only place that speaks, prophesies to these last things and lest you wonder why Israel is treated so harshly, it seems, for having rejected … They Knew …
Let's Read from the last few chapters Isaiah (63-66)
Read - 63:1-3; 64:1; 65:1-2, 13-14, 16; 66:16, 22-24
The Church has been caught up to Christ, translated, given new bodies, crowns, thrones, harps, et al
The 7 Seals have been opened, the title deed to this Earth
The Antichrist has enticed the World into one united people
They have worshipped him as god
They are marked with his name
Yet NOT every knee on earth has bent to him.
There are those who have refused him and those who have refused him AND turned to Christ in this time of Tribulation and Great Tribulation
Two witnesses have appeared and proclaimed the truth for 3 and ½ years
Angels have born witness to Christ so that all are without excuse
The Antichrist has made a 7 year covenant of peace with Israel and then broken it after only 3 and ½ years
He has put up an image of himself in God's Holy Place
He has poured out his wrath on Israel for 42 months
She (Israel) has fled into the Desert with God's protection, most likely South and West to Edom or Moab
7 Trumpets of Judgment have sounded
7 Vials of God's wrath have been poured out on the Earth
Through famine, drought, wars, the hand of the Antichrist, and God's Supernatural hand, more than ½ of the world's population has died
Countless, multitudes of converts to Christ have been martyred for their faith
and Babylon, though exalted in religion, rule, and commerce, has been destroyed by the Fire of God …
The Church has been wedded to the Lamb, pure and spotless, without wrinkle, bright and shining,
Multitudes of the Old Covenant Saints, and the Tribulation Era Saints have been invited to the Wedding Celebration Supper of the Lamb
Now the fulfillment of prophesy reaches its apex of fulfillment
Heaven will open for the 2nd time in this book
-7 the first time in Chapter 4:1 - the church was caught up as the Christ, Bridegroom, went to the Bride's home, earth, to take her back to HIS home to prepare for a Wedding and Celebration.
Now … Heaven will open AGAIN …
The Heaven's will "REND" - split as Isaiah 64 says and Christ will come down … with his Bride to clean House and have 1000 year long Honeymoon and Wedding celebration
You see in Jewish tradition, the size and length of the Wedding Banquet, was directly related to the wealth of the Family. Well, our Father's matchless wealth will result in a 1000 year celebration
But we move ahead …
Let's read the remainder of Chapter 19:11-21
>He came Once emptied of Heaven's Glory
- He comes Again Full of Glory with all the Rights and Authority of Heaven
>He came Once Broken and Spilled Out
- He comes again Whole and ready to Pour out his Wrath on Sin and his Grace on his people
>He came Once as a Sin Bearer
- He comes Again apart from sin and the Sinner's Savior
>He came Once to Redeem us and steal the penalty of sin
- He comes Again to steal back what Satan stole and Claim the Redeemed as his Inheritance
>He came Once and wore a crown of thorns
- He comes Again and will wear the Diadema of Victory, Dominion and the Bridegroom
>He came Once as the subject of scorn and shame
- He comes Again High and Lifted Up
>He came Once he brought Salvation and called the world to Himself
- He comes Again calling his people to himself and for the world the opportunity is gone
>He came Once despised and rejected as have been those who followed him
- He comes Again and He will be seen as he is Glorified and we will be glorified with him and then Return with him
He came ONCE as a Suffering Servant a Lamb without spot of wrinkle to be slain
He Comes NOW as a Conquering King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He comes as a War Wagon leading, White Horse Riding, King, Commander, and Justice Bearer
<Viewpoints – listed at the bottom of these notes>
1. Heaven Opened as Prophesied
--- This Day has been prophesied in numerous scripture … IN this book and in other scripture
2. White Horse Rider
A. Called Faithful and True
a. pistos pis-tos = trusty, faithful, persons who have shown themselves faithful in the transaction of business, the execution of commands, or the discharge of duties
b. Jesus Christ has shown himself faithful in business, he executes his commands, and completes all of his responsible duties. In that he has provided forgiveness and promised consequences for rejecting his mercy and grace so now he comes, faithful to keep all his promises, those pleasant and unpleasant
a. alethinos al-ay-thee-nos = that which has not only the name and resemblance, but the REAL NATURE corresponding to the name, in every respect corresponding to the idea signified by the name … Real … True … Genuine
b. Jesus Christ is not only Faithful but he is the REAL DEAL … he doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk. His nature matches his names, he lives up to the ideals and expectation … he is the genuine article … as advertised and MORE every time and it will be no different in the end … he does not disappoint
B. With Justice he Judges and Makes War
1. Justice goes before him --- Grace has been rejected so Justice rules that day
2. If you follow him Grace follows you all the days of your life and into Eternity
3. If you stand before him Justice is Received and that Day Justice will be handed down --- He is completely Just and Righteous in his Judgments that day because all other provisions were offered and rejected. The word for "Judges" there means to "separate, put asunder, to pick out" he will separate those who have separated themselves from him for ever and ever
4. He MAKES WAR - he becomes completely active in bringing war to those who have warred against God personally in rejection and corporately as a world without Christ.
5. The time for Grace and Mercy is NO MORE now just Justice and War
1. like burning fire
2. seeing the Soul … penetrating
3. no rash judgments or mistakes because he see all
D. On his Head … Many Crowns
1. this is NOT the stephanos which was the victors crown … though he has been victorious and he HAS the stephanos … The Bridegroom wore a stephanos as well … but this a diadema that is a blue band marked with white which Persian Kings used to bind their turban or tiera … it was the crown of authority and Rulership … He is wearing MANY … he has on his head the mark of EVERY Ruler, Every Kingdom … ALL THINGS have been placed under his feet
2. "we the people" - will say "But I thought we were in Charge, don't we have to vote on this, can't we override this veto?"
3. The Dictator - will say "I thought I was in Charge … how did he get my CROWN?"
4. The anarchist - will say "I thought no one or everyone was in charge"
5. The atheist --- will say "I though you didn't exist"
BUT EVERY KNEE will BOW … no matter what their belief or political system all WILL BOW
E. Unknown Name - written on him
1. He has a name which no one knows
2. this word for unknown name or "name that no one knows" speaks about his "FAMILY NAME"
3. He has no lineage, no ancestry, not beginning, we cannot know or understand him in this way because he has not beginning or background before him … there is NOTHING before him
4. Even the Darwinist, or the Big Bang Scientist says there was a Beginning, a time when in a matter of seconds matter went from something compressed to inches of dense matter, expanded to this vast universe.
5. However, all say we don't know where the matter came from or what was before that moment, whenever and wherever that was
6. But the White Horse Rider says "I KNOW!"
a. I AM that I AM
b. I Am what I AM
c. I AM who I AM
d. I AM! PERIOD, end of sentence, discussion over, you can't know it, you can't understand, so stop trying and believe and only then does understanding begin
F. Dressed in a Robe Dipped in Blood
1. Isaiah 63:1 - who is this coming from Edom, from Bozrah, with his garments standing crimson? Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? "it is I, speaking in righteousness, might to save".
2. of course he is the lamb that was slain … so this could be the blood of his sacrifice, but instead this is the blood of judgment. I believe this is the image of what he is doing and that is slaying those who have rejected him and those who have led the world in down that path.
3. I DID want to point out something of semantics here … His robe is DIPPED, immersed, but it is the word bapto not the word baptizo. Both words mean to DIP or IMMERSE, but baptizo means to immerse and produce a permanent change in substance and nature, where as bapto is a temporary change without changing substance or nature. My point is THIS … he comes because of his Justice and must bring about Judgment on the wicked and his robed will be stained with their blood, but that does NOT change his nature which is LOVE, Purity, Holiness. He is NOT consumed with the hatred and wickedness that wanton bloodshed can and does produce. He is simply temporarily stained by the blood of this judgment. James 3:17 says all things from Heaven are PURE, and HOLY, peace-loving, considerate, full of mercy, impartial, sincere and Jesus remains those things even though temporarily his robe is dipped in the blood of judgment…
G. Name is The Word of God -
1. John 1:1-14
2. Jesus Bar-Joseph, Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus crucified outside of Jerusalem in the early part of the 1st Century AD by the Jews with the permission of a Jewish Governor named Pilate
3. This is the WORD OF GOD … the 2nd Person of the Trinity, the One who created all things, the one who became flesh and dwelt among us from Bethlehem, to Egypt, in Nazareth, throughout Judea, Galilee, and Capernaum, the one who was rejected by his own … This is Jesus, the Christ … let there be no mistake, misinterpretation, misunderstanding, or misinformation … This is Jesus
H. Leading the Armies of Heaven following Him
1. riding White Horses
2. Dressed in Fine Linen, White and Clean
3. Does this description sound familiar? Who is wearing a garment, FINE Line, White and Clean? This is almost an exact quote from the description of the Bride in verse 8 of this chapter …
4. This is the Bride of Christ among the Armies of Heaven
5. It is time to Kick the Bully off the Beach so we can enjoy our Honeymoon with the Bridegroom
6. We chose to follow him in Life … now we follow him in Victory - 1 Thes 3:13; 2 thes 1:10; Jude 14/15 among others
7. Oh but we will NOT fight … OUR garments are WHITE … Because when Jesus Shows up, the Victory is completed BY Him, Through him, and For Him
I. Out of His Mouth -
1. Sharp Sword - the word sharp … means "sharp, quick, swift" -- Sword - rhomphaia hrom-fah-yah "a long sword … properly a long Thracian javelin, or a long sword worn on the right shoulder"
2. From his MOUTH --- this is The WORD of the WORD of God … if you will
3. Hebrews 4:12 - living and active, sharper than a double edged sword, dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow - Rev 2:12 (he has the double-edged sword)
4. He IS the Armor of God and WE will be clothed IN dressed in his Armor …
5. Isaiah 11:1-11 (especially verse 4)
He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
6. He will strike down the nations - Rule with an Iron Scepter - Jesus needs no other ammunition than the Word of Prophesy, the Word of The Gospel Rejected. Truth Sets Free, but Truth also sets in motion the natural course of their rejection
7. Remember Paul said He will descend with a Shout (1 Thes 4:16), I believe he will simply be proclaiming every word of Truth, from the 10 Commandments, to the Prophesies, to John 3:16 and following … Words of hope to us will become Words of Condemnation to them. The Stone of Building will become a stone of Judgment for them. The Seed of Hope for us will be the poison of death for them. The sweet fragrance of life for us will be the stench of death for them and every nation will be struck down by the Truth protruding from The Truth, the Life, the Way.
8. He Treads the Winepress … we knew this was coming from 14:17-20 … life will be extracted like grapes underfoot … This is a gruesome but real picture.
J. Name … King of Kings and Lord of Lords
1. This name is NOT hard to know or understand
2. On his robe --- maybe it’s on the back like a Ball Player? J
3. On his Thigh - when a Covenant was made you placed your hand under the thigh of the other … it was the place of oath, covenant, a promise of generation as well as of power because the sword worn over that area, and the life that is produced from the loins, so the understanding was that all my power is yours and that of my descendants or for YOUR descendants
4. A name of Covenant for this White Horse Rider is "King of Kings and Lord of Lords"
5. While it may have seemed like he was NOT in control … he IS a Covenant Keeper, a Promise Keeper.
a. he said he would Return
b. he said he would Repay Evil
c. he said he would Avenge the Righteous
d. he said we would Reign with him
e. he said we would forever be with him
HE IS KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS he keeps his word
3. The Battle Ends
When Jesus shows up, the Battle is OVER …
It appears from what we have read and can read in scripture that the Battle of Armageddon will be going on possible for weeks … because of the amount of bloodshed and the scope of the battle
But in the battle, the whole world will see the Coming of Christ …whether that is supernaturally, or Technologically doesn't really matter, though I believe it will be supernaturally
He will be seen with his Militant Bride
Read Zechariah 14:2
Remember that those who remain in Jerusalem will most likely be those who have once again rejected the Revelation of Christ as Messiah, they have rejected the 2 Witnesses, the 144,000 Evangelists, and the call to flee to God's protection in the Desert yet they have also rejected the Antichrist so he will make war against them that will go so far as house to house battle
So, this final attack on Jerusalem will be a result of their refusal to follow anyone … Christ OR the Antichrist … their lukewarmness makes God sick (rev 3:16)
They will be ransacked in House to House Persecution
Listen to this song of joy, taunting the wicked of that day,
Christ will return and put and end to this week’s long war and 7 year tribulation. He will return JUST AS HE LEFT according to Acts 1:11. He will strike down and defeat EVERY Foe with is Word
4. Come and Eat
While the Bridegroom, his Bride, and his Faithful Ones are invited to the Marriage Celebration of the Lamb, another Gruesome Supper Invitation goes out
I don't even like to picture this
An Angel standing in the Sun … Cries LOUD … to all the Birds … Vultures, Carrion Eaters … "… to all the birds flying in midair … 'Come, gather together for the great supper of God, eat the flesh of kings, generals, mighty men, horses and riders, all people, free and slave, small and great" and then verse 21 finishes this scene "the birds gorged themselves on their flesh"
Now if we follow our principles of literal versus symbolism, there is nothing about this that would lead us to see this symbolically. If he just called for the birds, you might see that as a taunting picture. But Verse 21 is pretty simple and easy to understand … It IS what it IS
Midair … or mid-heavens, means birds flying at "high noon" position … It is the picture you've seen in movies, westerns etc. These are birds circling the impending death below … looking for their opportunity.
Jesus Shows up … Quotes Scripture, Proclaims Prophesy, And his Word slays his enemies
5. A Gathering for War Cut Short by Victory
I saw the Beast and Kings of the earth and their armies
… to make war against the rider on the horse and his army …
They are ready … they think
They are prepared … they think
They are equipped … they think
They are empowered … they think
They are blessed with favor … they think
… v 20 --- Oh some of the greatest words in the Bible are "but God"
- 1. Gen 7:24,8:1 - "The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days … 1 But GOD remembered Noah …
- 2. Gen 21:11,12 "The matter distressed Abraham greatly because it concerned his son 12 But GOD said to him 'to not be distressed …'
- 3. Gen 31:42 - Jacob said to Laban "if the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But GOD has seen my hardship …"
- 4. Gen 48:21 "Israel said to Joseph, 'I am about to die, BUT GOD will be with you …'"
- 5. Gen 50:50 "you intended to harm me, But GOD intended it for good …"
- 6. 1 Sam 23:14 "… day after day Saul searched for him, BUT GOD did not give David into his hands"
- 7. 2 Sam 14:14 "Like water spilled on the ground which cannot be recovered, so we must die. BUT GOD does not take away life; instead, devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him
- 8. 1 Chron 28:3 David wanted to build the Temple … says "But God said … 'you are not to build a house for my Name …"
- 9. 2 Chron 20:15 "do not be afraid for discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, BUT GOD'S …
- 10. Job 24 beginning in verse says "in the dark, men break into houses … make friends with terro … they prey on barren and childless woman … and to the widow show no kindness …" and verse 22 says "But GOD drags away the mighty by his power …"
- 11. Ps 64:6,7 "they plot injustice … surely the mind and heart of man are cunning 7 But GOD will shoot them with arrows; suddenly they will be struck down"
- 12. Ps 73:26 - "My Flesh and my heart my fail, BUT GOD is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." He goes on to say in the next verses "those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."
C. Oh the Big Plans that the Beast and the Kings have
BUT … before they can lift a finger against The Lord and his Bride, against his Heavenly Armies …
1. The Beast is "captured" --- the word can be translated seized or captured … but it literally means --- “to lay hold of or lay a hand on" … to apprehend in order to imprison"
2. I believe that Christ Snatches the Beast up by the scruff of his neck like a Bad Dog … and with the Other Hand Snatches up the False Prophet …
3. Their indictment --- they led the world astray, enticed, deluded …
4. They are THROWN ALIVE into Hell … The Fiery Lake of Burning Sulfer … do you wonder what Hell is? There it is … It IS a “lake of Fire”
5. If hell is NOT real … neither is Heaven. Hell has gone out of Fashion and with liberal theologians abounding … The next to disappear will be Heaven. Some will Tell you there is no Heaven and Hell, and God is really just an ideal, a way of living, just a choice for life to make life livable and enjoyable to make us better citizens
6. Hell is as real as Heaven, Hell is as Gruesome as Heaven is Glorious, it is as equally desirable as hell is despised place to spend eternity.
7. v21 - Then the rest of those in opposition to Christ, whether active or passive, will be physically judged and executed by the Words of his Mouth … The Word of God … It is appointed men once to die … they cannot be judged at the Great White Throne until they have first experienced physical death. Physical death is the first judgment of our sin. The only ones to escape physical death will be those Faithful Alive when Christ comes for his Bride at the Rapture of the Church and those Tribulation saints not martyred and alive at that final day of Deliverance
- How should we Respond to the Coming of Christ …?
*Taken from David Jeremiah "Escape the Coming Night" 1990/1997
Because he is Coming Again
- 1. We should Refrain from Judging Others - 1 Cor 4:5
Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.
- 2. 'We should Remember the Lord's table - 1 Cor 11:26
For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
- 3. We can Relate to One Another in love - 1 Thess 3:12,13
May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. ?13? May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.
- 4. We can Restore the Bereaved - 1 Thess 4:16
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
- 5. We may Recommit ourselves to Ministry - 2 Tim 4:1,2
In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: ?2? Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-with great patience and careful instruction.
- 6. We should Refuse to neglect church - Heb 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
- 7. We should Remain steadfast - James 5:8
8 You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near
- 8. We should Reach the Lost for Jesus Christ- Jude 23
snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear-hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
Historicist - either the ongoing victories by the church through the Word of God … or Christ’s continuing judgment upon his enemies as he conquers at Armageddon. In either case the horse is symbolic. Some suggest the horse is symbolic of the church taking Christ to the world.(Caringola) The sword symbolizes the words or doctrine penetrating the hearts of men (Barnes) The beast is Papal Power
Preterist – some “fully realized preterists” believe the Bible doesn’t speak at all of the 2nd Coming and that this 2nd coming is fulfilled in A.D. 70. Most preterists, though, expect an actual coming of Christ in the future. But still most do not see THIS as that event. They mostly agree with Jay Adams that this is a picture of Christ’s warfare with the church through the proclamation of the gospel after the fall of “Babylon”. David Clark says “is this not the conquering power of the gospel and the triumph of Christianity?” Many are postmillennialists believing that this campaign will bring most of the world to Christ
Futurists - Jesus is the rider, faithful and true, word of God, King of kings, sharp sowrd …
Mounce - ´the word in this case is not the gospel … symbolizes the lethal power of his word of judgment.”
Spiritual – The Rider is the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Those with him some see as ONLY the angels, while others see the saints there too. Some say the sword is the word spoken by Christ which now will judge them. It is not unreasonable, Swete, concludes to see the Antichrist luring the world governments into a battle against Christianity. “cast into lake of fire” … Hendriksen says it is imagery that at the 2nd coming the persecution of the church by satan and his deception will forever be ceased outside of hell.
Revelation Four Views: A Parallel Commentary – Steve Gregg
W.A. Criswell Expository Sermons on Revelation
Dr. J.A. Seiss Expositions on Revelations
MacArthur Bible Studies: Revelation – John MacArthur
Dr. David Jeremiah Expositions on Revelation
The Pulpit Commentary: Revelation