Pastor Greg Stansel Acts 19:1-10 September 4, 2022
Snap shot: True belief in Jesus as the Messiah is evidenced by the presence of the Holy Spirit. I. Do you only have part of the Gospel? (19:1–4)
II. Be baptized into the name of Jesus Christ (19:5–6a)
III. Evidences of receiving the Holy Spirit (19:6b–10)
IV. Evidences you rejected the Gospel message (19:8, 9)
What are some evidences of the Holy Spirit you see in your life?
Point 1: Do you only have part of the Gospel? (19:1–4)
READ Matthew 3:1–12
1) What does this passage tell us about the baptism of John? How is John’s message a part of the gospel, but not the complete picture? How does John point to the fulfillment of the gospel message?
2) How do some people who say they believe live more like disciples of John than disciples of Jesus? What does being baptized with the Holy Spirit practically look like in the daily life of the Christian?
Point 2: Be baptized into the name of Jesus Christ (19:5–6a)
READ Romans 6:1–14
3) What does Paul reveal is part of being baptized into the name of Jesus Christ? How does being baptized into Jesus change us? How is that baptism different than John’s baptism?
4) What does it practically look like to be buried with Christ? Give an example of how you can walk in the newness of life tomorrow as a believer? What role does the Holy Spirit play in dying with Christ and living with Him?
Point 3: Evidences of receiving the Holy Spirit (19:6b–10)
READ Galatians 5:22–24; John 14:26; 16:13, 14; 1 John 4:2
5) Read the above passages and make a list of evidences of receiving the Holy Spirit.
6) When you receive the Holy Spirit, does that mean you will automatically look like the above verses? How can you start to grow in “evidences” that you are indwelled by the Holy Spirit?
Point 4: Evidences you rejected the Gospel message (19:8, 9)
READ Acts 19:8, 9
7) How do many in Ephesus reject the gospel message? What would be some warning signs of unbelief or ignorance of the gospel for a person who says they are a believer?
1. Spend time in prayer and reflection asking yourself the questions in Acts 19:2, 3
2. Have you lost the spiritual vitality in your life? Is there no evidence of the Holy Spirit working in and through you? Return to the foot of the cross; seek forgiveness; repent; return to your first love.
Pray the passage
Spend some time praying through Acts 19, asking the Lord to continue building you up as His disciples. Seek forgiveness where you have quenched the Spirit. Pray for the Lord to fill you afresh with His Spirit and use you powerfully for the advancement of His Kingdom.
Memorize & Meditate
“And Paul said, ‘John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus’” (Acts 19:4).
Preparing for next week
Read: Acts 19:11-20
Ask: questions of the text.
Pray: through text, for Rob Hill as he prepares, for your heart to hear, for the congregation to hear, for all of us to be obedient.