If the Mind is Set On the Spirit
Theme: Your walk reflects your mind. Rom. 8:1-8
- Recently we looked at how a wretched man of sin (that’s everyone who ever lived) could be freed from the bondage of sin.
- The obvious – and most glorious – answer is through Christ Jesus our Savior. Rom. 7:24-25
- Far from bondage: there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. Rom. 8:1
- Does that mean Christians have the liberty to go about sinning? No! Cp. Rom. 6:1
- No, a person who loves the Lord will desire to be lead by Him.
- And, to those who walk in His Spirit – should they sin (and naturally would repent) – have no condemnation.
No Condemnation To those In Christ
- Because the law of the Spirit of life in Christ rules in/over our lives. Rom. 8:2
- He (the Spirit of life in Christ) has set us free from the law of sin and death.
- The Law could only condemn and convict us of our sins: not save us from them. Cp. 1 Cor. 15:45
- That is why while it (the law) couldn’t save He (God) could and did! Rom. 8:3
- Our Savior took on the likeness of sinful flesh, otherwise He could not have been one of us. Cp. Jn. 1:14; Phil. 2:7
- God’s eternal purpose (Eph. 3:11) was to send His Son (Jn. 3:16) condemn sin in the flesh.
- Through Christ the righteous requirements of the law is fulfilled in us. Rom. 8:4
- Through Him Satan (who had the power of death) is rendered powerless. Heb. 2:14
- Through the cross of our Savior the righteous requirements of sin is meted accordingly. Phil. 2:5-9
Those Who Set Their Minds…
- On the flesh: live accordingly.
- Make the cross of Christ of no effect in their lives.
- Further, such a mind makes us enemies of our heavenly Father. Cp. Jas. 4:4
- In the end, mind is set on the flesh brings forth death. Gal. 5:19-21
- On the Spirit: live accordingly.
- Notice what the paramount of the law of the Spirit includes. Matt. 22:38-39
- This is exemplified through the fruit born of the Spirit. Cp. Gal. 5:22-25
- There is no law to which a person who lives accordingly is condemned.
- Christians, consider your walk… it is a reflection of your mind. cp. Rom. 8:8
- If your mind is set on the Spirit, then He dwells in you and gives you everlasting life!