Jesus, In Paul's eyes
JESUS — IN PAUL'S EYES
Paul's use of the term "Christ" or "Messiah" in reference to Jesus included at last six ideas, attested to throughout the Pauline writing:
• The Messiah is Israel's true king and the world's true Lord.
• The Messiah will successfully fight Israel's great and ultimate battle against the forces of evil and paganism.
• The Messiah will build the Temple, the house to which Israel's God will at last return and live.
• The Messiah will thus bring Israel's history to its climax and usher in the new world of which the prophets had spoken.
• The Messiah will act in all of this as Israel's representative.
• The Messiah will also act as God's representative to Israel and to the world.