Samson: Strong Man
Judges 13:5 (NIV)
5because you will conceive and give birth to a son. No razor may be used on his head, because the boy is to be a Nazirite, set apart to God from birth, and he will begin the deliverance of Israel from the hands of the Philistines.”
1. His name means “sunny” or “of the sun” or “like the sun.”
2. He was born miraculously to a sterile woman after an angelic visitation and announcement (Judges 13:3).
3. He was dedicated to God from birth as a Nazirite (Judges 13:5).
4. He was endowed with supernatural strength (Judges 13:25; 14:6, 19; 15:14) and judged Israel for twenty years (Judges 15:20).
5. God used his desire for a Philistine woman as an occasion to confront the Philistines (Judges 14:4).
6. He used a riddle and a wager to try to garner wealth, but the Philistines coaxed the answer of the riddle from his wife (Judges 14:15-17). To pay the wager he killed thirty of their men from Ashkelon (Judges 14:19).
7. He caught three hundred foxes and tied them in pairs and fastened a torch to them to burn up the philistine grain fields (Judges 15:4-5).
8. He killed one thousand Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey (Judges 15:13-17).
9. God miraculously provided water to satisfy his thirst (Judges 15:18-19).
10. He became infatuated with a woman named Delilah, who betrayed the secret of his strength to the Philistines (Judges 16:4-20).
11. He was taken captive by the philistines, who gouged his eyes out and degraded him (Judges 16:21-25).
12. Samson prayed to the Lord for one last time and the lord gave him the strength to push down the two massive pillars that held up the roof of the temple, so that he died along with them, so that he killed more philistines in his death than when he was alive (Judges 16:26-31).
1. The greatest strength can be rendered powerless by moral weakness.
2. It is never too late to turn to God.
3. Personal relationships can intrude on our relationship with God.
1. Keep faith with God.
2. Always be quick to turn to God if you do break faith with Him.
3. Always keep your relationship with God above every other relationship.