Ruth: Loyalty and Faith
Ruth 1:16-17 (NIV)16But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.”
1. Her name can mean Beauty or Friendship
2. She was from the country of Moab and lived during the period of the Judges (Ruth 1:1).
3. She married a Hebrew named Mahlon (Ruth 1:4, 4:10), the son of Naomi and Elimilech, who moved to her land to escape a famine in Judea with their two sons (Ruth 1:1).
4. She was widowed as was her Mother in-law before her (Ruth 1:5).
5. She chose to accompany her mother in-law back to Bethlehem, a foreign and unfamiliar land rather than abandon her and return to her homeland (Ruth 1:11-18).
6. She cared for her mother-in law by gleaning in the fields of Bethlehem (Ruth 2:3, 2:11), a practice that was instituted as a form of welfare in Israel (Leviticus 19:9-10).
7. God providentially led Ruth to the field of Boaz (Ruth 2:1-3).
8. Through Boaz, God provided food for Ruth and Naomi (Ruth 2:8-18).
9. Through Boaz, a kinsman redeemer, and Ruth, God preserves the line of Elimilech and raises up a king for his people and a savior (Ruth 4:21-22; Matthew 1:5, 16).
1. Those who put their faith in God will find shelter (Ruth 2:12)
2. God’s grace does not exclude anyone who places true faith in Him and teaches racial equality.
3. Both God and Ruth present examples of Loyalty and fidelity.
4. The kinsman redeemer presents a picture of Christ’s atonement.
5. God’s providence works in our lives even when we can’t see his hand at work.
1. Place your faith in God and find grace.
2. Never consider anyone beneath the grace of God.
3. Practice faithfulness and loyalty in friendship.
4. Recognize the close kinship of Christ and accept the atonement offered to you through him.
5. Trust God to work in your life even when you can’t see the evidence of it.