9This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God. (Genesis 6:9 (NIV)
1. His name means “rest” or “comfort” (Gen. 5:29).
2. He lived in a Very wicked society in which he stood out as a righteous man (Gen. 6:5-8).
3. God commanded him to build an ark (chest) which took him 120 years (Gen. 6:3, 14-16).
4. He became the father of Shem, Ham and Japheth after he was 500 years old(Gen. 5:32).
5. While Noah built the Ark, he preached to a wicked generation (2 Peter 2:5).
6. The Ark was built to keep Noah, his family and all kinds of animals safe while he flooded the earth with water as judgment on a wicked generation.
7. After forty days and nights of rain (Gen 7:12)the ark floated on the waters for 150 days before it came to rest on Mts. Of Ararat. It was still a full year before Noah was released from the Ark with all the living creatures.
8. The first thing Noah did after leaving the ark was to build an altar to God on which he offered sacrifices that were pleasing to God (Gen 8:20-21).
9. God entered into a covenant with Noah that He would never destroy the earth with a flood, that is in effect to this day (Gen. 8:21-9:17). The sign of the covenant given to Noah was the rainbow (Gen. 9:13-14).
10. Noah became a tiller of the earth, and he planted a vineyard. He became drunk from the wine of the vineyard (Gen. 9:20-21).
11. Noah lived to the age of 950 years and then died (Gen. 9:29).
1. God Judges Sin (Gen. 6:13)
2. The obedient are safe in the hands of a faithful God. (Gen. 6:19)
3. Though God does not keep us from trouble, he will see us through it (Gen. 7:23)
4. Steadfast righteousness in the face of worldly degradation is rewarded by God (Gen. 6:6-8).
5. Our light must shine no matter how dark it gets (Gen. 6:9).
6. No one is exempt from temptation or sin (Gen. 9:21)
1. Be warned against sin (2 Peter 2:4-10).
2. Be Encouraged In Faith (Heb. 11:7).
3. Be Obedient To God (Gen. 6:22).
4. Be Steadfast In Righteousness (Gen. 6:9).
5. Be Ready For Sudden Judgment (Lk. 17:26-27).