If You Had One More Day to Live
IF YOU HAD ONE MORE DAY TO LIVE!!
TEXT: Luke 12:16-21
A. Death is a very scary thought to each and every one of us.
1. I believe that it would be correct for me to say that each and every one here today has wondered what death holds in store for themselves:
2. How will I eventually Die??? By fire, car accident, drowning...etc...How will I DIE?
3. This is a very disturbing thought as each and every one of us knows that death is inevitable...
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die,
B. However, one must realize the importance that as Hezekiah was told to set his house in order, as he would soon die, II Kings 20:1 so are we also told the same thing in the N.T....James 4:13‑16
1. Many of us would think that this was a bad situation, (being told that you would die shortly), yet we need to see the blessings of this knowledge.
a) The knowledge of death provoked a changed attitude.
b) The knowledge of death led Him closer to God.
c) The knowledge of death turned His face to the wall and wept bitterly to the Lord, displaying his dependency upon the Lord for forgiveness.
2. The same should be true of the Christian today.
a) We have the knowledge of pending death...Hebrews 9:27.
b) We have the knowledge of the time when this is to occur...could be any time...
c) With this knowledge we should have the same attitude and reaction that Hezekiah displayed in II Kings 20:2‑4-Prayed
d) Our houses should be set in order at All times, 24 hours a day, 52 weeks a year...etc.
3. Yet the sad truth of the matter is that many of us think that we have much time to spare and that when we have done all the things that we think are important we will get our lives straight with the Lord.
C. So on this thought I want us to consider this vitally important question...IF YOU HAD ONE MORE DAY TO LIVE WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
1. This is truly a sobering thought!
a) Some Atheists would do nothing, yet we who are believers in Christ come to the realization that in 24 hours I'm going to stand before my Creator and will have to give an account of the good and evil that I have done in this life...
b) Will I stand approved of God or will it be disapproval?
c) Would I run around frantic trying to right all the wrongs that I have caused or would I just continue to live like I presently am.
d) This knowledge of oncoming death should provoke us to examine our lives and our deeds to see whether our ways are God’s ways.
I. WHAT SOME NEED TO DO!
A. There are many today who are not ready to face the Lord in judgment, who still needs to come to the belief that Jesus is our Lord and Savior.
1. One must realize that this is more than just a mere mental acceptance and acknowledgment that Jesus is the Christ.
2. Rather the belief that is referred to here is that saving belief that comes about by convicted OBEDIENCE to the will of God...
a) The belief that is related with action...
b) There are many who believe that there is a God but they have no greater belief than is said of the demons... James 2:19.
c) Notice their belief...
Luke 4:33-34 And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God.
Luke 4:41 And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And he rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ.
d) The demons believe what many today refuse to accept.
3. There are many, maybe even in this audience, who have turned a deaf ear (through pride and prejudice's) to the Word of the Lord...
B. There are many who need to obey the Gospel. They know that they need to do it but just keep on putting it off.
1. Listen to this wise person of poetry... "Procrastination is the thief of time and of souls"
Romans 10:16 Not all have obeyed the Gospel... ;
II Peter 3:9 but the Lord is not willing that any should perish but that all should come unto repentance....
2. Those who have heard and did not obey Await Eternal Destruction...II Thessalonians 1:7‑9.
C. There are many who have believed in Christ and have obeyed the Gospel, yet there are many in this situation that need to live that faithful dedicated life as children of God....
1. We should be "Zealous unto all good works"...Titus
2. Those works that are lukewarm where not acceptable to God in Revelation 3:15‑19 church at Laodecia and certainly will not be accepted of God now.
a) Those who have become to worldly minded, forgetting about their spiritual well being would need to start getting their priorities in place...Matthew 6:33‑34.
II. SOME THINGS WE WOULD NOT DO!
A. With the knowledge of Death, we would not be busy in selfish hoarding of material things for a rainy day....Luke 12:15‑20
1. Much of that which we call "security" is covetousness... which is seen as idolatry...Colosians 3:5.
2. We would also be wise to heed the warnings that it is impossible to serve two masters. Matthew 6:24; Matthew 6:33
3. By seeking for the "good life" in the years to come would be foolishness if we only had 24 hours to live.
B. Secondly we would not be selfish in our giving of the talents that God has given us.
1. I would no longer Rob God of the things/ offerings that have been put aside for His work.
2. The song "Here I Am Lord Send Me" would have more meaning to me.
3. I certainly would not say that there is too much preaching, but rather GIVE ME MORE.
C. Thirdly we would not put off things until tomorrow.
1. We were to die in 24 hours we certainly would like to use every single minute that we have for good work. We will not spend time frivolously or foolishly, knowing that every minute counts.
2. Procrastination is truly the thief of souls...
a) Certainly the expression..."I'm too busy" will seem foolish to the one who only has 24 hours to live.
D. Fourthly we would not continue to take the gifts of God for granted.
1. So many forget the great sacrifice that Christ paid on our behalf...John 3:16; Romans 5:8.
2. So many forget the great gift that we have of being able to assemble with others members of like precious faith... Hebrews 10:24‑25.
3. Praying for our health, food, and our families well being would not seem foolishness to us anymore...James 1:17.
E. Fifthly we would not take chances doing questionable things.
1. We might think well just this one time, but that one time might be all it takes to lose your soul.
2. Each and every day would be filled with walking for Him.
F. Sixthly we would not be indefinitely undecided in Christianity.
1. Some say they are concerned about spiritual things but truly are undecided as to what to do about it...
2. Some are "almost persuaded" yet with 24 hours will they be "almost persuaded" and go to our graves as such.
a) Will our Epitaphs read..."He/She. was almost persuaded to do right.
3. Consider the Ethiopian Eunuch's reaction...
a) Could have said..."I'll wait till I get home"
b) Yet His reaction was...Acts 8:32‑38.
III. WHAT WOULD OR SHOULD WE DO? ...Do all that is needful to put one's house in order.
A. We should search ourselves...II Corinthians 13:5.
1. Criticism of others become of less importance.
2. Look towards ourselves...Matthew 7:1‑5; Luke 15:17.
3. We would reflect upon the number of years that we have spent in foolish living.
B. We would spend time in the study of God's Word...II Timothy 2:15.
1. We would love its precepts...
2. We would be interested in Christian discussions not worldly thoughts.
C. We would spend time in Prayer...I Thessalonians 5:17.
D. We would become faithful in our service to the Lord.
1. By becoming a Christian in the true sense of the word.
2. I would not argue about attendance... Heb 10:25.
E. Certainly we would fix up all the wrongs we have with others...Matthew 5:23, 24.
1. We will try and be reconciled...Matthew 18:15.
2. Pray for those...Matthew 5:44‑45.
3. We would not longer hold grudges towards others.
The Christian should live each day as though it were his last...
The Christian would realize that there is no assurance of tomorrow...
The Christian will also realize that we need to redeem the time while we still have it...
It is too late after death!
Why do you wait? You have the time now; the opportunity is Now, yet do you have the right condition of the heart Now.