Abram, meaning exalted father
Abraham, meaning father of a multitude
God’s Call of Abraham:
Abraham left the city of UR in Mesopotamia, at the call of God, not knowing where he was going. Going without knowing (Hebrews 11:8) demonstrates faith in the one who calls and obedience.
God’s Promise To Abraham:
God promised Abraham that he would make him a great nation, that he would give him land, descendants, and blessings, and that all the nations would be blessed through him. (Gen. 12:2, 3).
- True Faith Responds In Obedience To God - Hebrews 11:8 (NIV)8By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. )
- True Faith Results In Righteousness Before God – Romans 4:3 (NIV) 3What does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
- True Faith Produces Works For God – James 2:20-24 (NIV) 20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
- True Faith Is Tested By God
Genesis 22:1-2 (NIV) 1Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!”
“Here I am,” he replied.
2Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.”
Hebrews 11:17 (NIV)17By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son,
- True Faith Secures The Promises Of God – Genesis 21:2 (NIV)2Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him.
Abraham died at 175 yrs. Of age.