Expecting the Impossible
Expecting the Impossible
TEXT: Matthew 19:26
Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible
Mark 10:27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Luke 18:27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
INTRODUCTION: From these verses we should get the fact that nothing is impossible with God. He is an almighty and sovereign God. I would certainly not wish to attempt to take away anything concerning our understanding of Him. However, the title for the message this morning is this: Do not expect the impossible! Now, let me explain what I mean.
God, the Creator of universe, is a God of law and order. He created this universe with certain laws which govern it. Therefore, we should not expect things to be contrary to His natural law.
We should not EXPECT THE IMPOSSIBLE!
- Touch hand to hot object; Do not expect not to get burned.
- Step of the roof of a building; Do not expect not to fall to the ground.
- Plant a seed and it produces after its kind; Do not expect watermelon to grow on corn stalk.
God is a God of law and order. His Word declares that in spiritual realm, laws are just as fixed as in physical. Spiritual laws revealed for man to know, comply with in order to receive blessings.
This is not a Matter of what God can do! That has already been established. Nothing is impossible with God.
- He could make watermelon grow on corn stalk.
- But as long as his laws are in effect, it is impossible.
- God has chosen to work with the limits that he alone has set in place.
I. A Sinner often Expects the Impossible.
A. Some expect to be saved by some mysterious act of God.
1. But there is only one way to save
a) By grace through faith.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
b) We must believe the Word of God concerning Christ as Savior.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
c) God is no respecter of persons.
d) What He does for one, for all.
B. Some expect to be saved apart from obedience to gospel.
1. But the Gospel declares fate of disobedient.
2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power
2. God longs for all to be reconciled.
2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.
3. He is not willing that any should perish.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
C. Some do not expect to give account for deeds:
1. The Word of God makes it clear that we will all appear before God.
2. The question today is have our sins been covered by the atoning blood of Jesus Christ?
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
II. Christians Expect the Impossible when it comes to the Local Church.
A. Many expect it to grow without them putting forth any effort.
1. Growth will not come just because we wish it will happen.
2. It will only come when we get to work!
Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
B. Many think the church will grow if they have:
1. A new, "fired up preacher".
2. A great music program.
3. An exciting youth ministry.
4. Beautiful facilities "if we build it they will come" doesn’t work with a church!
C. Growth is the result of people being obedient to truth.
1. Too many expect interest to grow with them doing nothing.
2. They expect attendance to increase without them inviting and encouraging others to come.
3. They expect neighbors and family to be saved without confronting them with Gospel of Jesus Christ.
III. Individuals Often Expect the Impossible:
A. They expect to be strong spiritually, to be able to overcome temptation, without applying the principles of God’s Word in their lives.
1. If we fail to take sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God.
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
2. If we neglect to pray.
Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
3. If we fail to put on the whole armor of God, we will be unable to stand!
4. Faith must be based on knowledge.
B. They expect satisfaction without being fully committed to cause of Lord.
1. Great disappointment comes as result of trying to hold on to this life, and to the hope of life hereafter.
a) We cannot serve two masters.
b) We are deceived if we think this present life has priority and expect fulfillment in serving God.
Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
C. Expect joy from worship when nothing put into worship.
1. Too often we come to church for the wrong reasons.
2. If you look for something wrong, you will find it.
3. We should come to worship God.
4. In the presence of God, there should be confession of sin, self-examination, and ask for forgiveness.
5. We need to listen for His truth to apply to our lives.
CONCLUSION: Are we expecting the impossible today? If you are without Christ and expect to go to heaven any other way than by the cross…it is impossible. Come to Jesus today!
Christian, if you are expecting God’s blessings on your life without living in accordance to His Word, then you are expecting the impossible!
If you are expecting this church to grow without becoming an active part of this ministry, then you are expecting the impossible!