I Am Not Nocturnal
Walking with Adjusted Eyes
1 John 1:5–10
Walking in the Light
5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
(crashing car sound)
(night african animal sounds)
How many of you knows what a nocturnal (nocturne) animal is? This is an animal that becomes more active during the night rather than the day- their eyes are made to function in the dark.
WE are diurnal (diurne)- we typically function during the day and sleep at night unless your name is Pastor Muller, then you don’t know the difference between night and day because he is up at all hours of the day.
I am officially starting to get the strange looks that I was expecting, no I promise I am not teaching you a science lecture. But please be patient with me because today I am going take you on a bumpy ride and hopefully at the end of the message we will find ourselves looking back understanding the why I took down all the different little roads that I did today.
Have you ever gotten up from bed and not turned the lights on and walked around getting yourself ready and suddenly someone turns on a bright light? (Maybe use another example here)
It is such a huge shock on your eyes, you cannot see anything even though the lights are on. This shock is because it takes time for your eyes to adjust for the quick change in light.
That shock you go through every time that happens is very small in comparison to what happens when God enters the picture, a shock comes to the world around us.
Last week Pastor Muller talked a bit about Genesis so let us dive right back into
The Creation of the World
1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness
You see darkness is the absence of void of light. What is light? Is light just the brightness that just helps you see in the dark?
I Am the Light of the World
12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
5. So when you open up your Bible and start to read the Bible and make a real attempt to understanding the scripture and not just reading the words on the page, the light is going to start to fill that void and actually push the darkness out of your life. It is more like as read, you consume the scripture through reading it, you notice that blinding shock.
All the sudden now the light has been turned on in your life and it is so bright you cannot see because you have become so use to and have adjusted your eyes to living in the dark! Now you get to adjust to living, and walking in the light.
6. When you commune with God in prayer, and not just the five minute Lord I need, Lord help me, Lord do this prayer but spending time actually seeking God himself, if you do this once in a while when you are in desperate situations you may feel better. However, if you consistently spend time talking with God, on a daily schedule, you are going start seeing that light start pushing that darkness out of your life. As you start seeking Jesus, you are going to start finding Jesus! How many of you want to find Jesus and know him rather than just talking about him and holding onto the stories of people that did know him? How many people want to experience that light in their life for themselves?
7. If you are not spending time in God’s word, if you are not spending time praying and talking with God you are walking in darkness.
8. You say pastor Rebekah I am not walking in darkness I am a good person, I go to work, I pay my bills, I send my kids to school, I come to church most of the time. I still say to you that you are walking in darkness, and that you are not practicing that truth of Jesus Christ.
9. How can you practice the truth or not walk in sin, how can you reflect Jesus Christ if you do not spend time getting to know who Jesus is? Getting to know the Character of Christ?
10. You were not created to be like a nocturnal animal walking in darkness. Yes your spiritual eyes adjust, and yes you can see some in the dark but how much better if you could see clearly around you when you are in the scripture and spending time in prayer because now you have the light pushing out the darkness out of your life and you can see the world around you more clearly.Walking with Adjusted Eyes