1 John Overview - Part 4
First Proof is Obedience—2:3, 5
A. Negative – sin must be out
– Not walking in darkness.
1. Darkness means
– That a man is ignorant of God – Romans 1:21 “because, although they knew God, they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.”
– Evil behavior & deeds – John 3:19-21
– Man’s nature is dark – Ephesians 5:8
– Man is unfruitful in life – Ephesians 5:11
– Man dwells in darkness – 1 Thess. 5:4-5
– The influence & power of Satan – Acts 26:18
– The place of punishment and hell, the pit of darkness – Eph. 6:12; Jude 13
2. 1 John 1:6-7
a. If a person says that he is saved & then lives in the darkness of this world, he lies.
b. God is light v.5; therefore, if a person walks in darkness he does not know God.
3. 1 John 2:9-11
– Not practicing sin.
1. 1 John 3:6-8
a. V.6 – If we abide in Christ we do not continue to sin
1) We turn away from sin.
2) Our desires are to break the habit of sin
b. V.6 – if we sin, then we have not seen Christ, or know Him.
c. V.7 – we can be deceived about sin in our lives
2. 1 John 3:9
– “to sin” is in the present tense and means “to continue in sin; constantly sin; to practice sin; to habitually sin ; to live in sin
a. We do not reach sinless perfection while living on this earth.
b. Our love for God & wanting to please God will keep the genuine believer away from a lifestyle of sin
c. Remember what Joseph said when Potipher’s wife tempted him:
1) "[There is] no one greater in this house than I, nor has he kept back anything from me but you, because you [are] his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?"
3. 1 John 5:18
– “keeps himself” “in the love of God” Jude 21
a. the same word of concern Jesus used in His high-priestly prayer
1) John 17:11 -- "Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We [are].
b. God guards us doing His part, however, we must continue to do our part.
1) If you practice sin, you will pursue after sin.
2) If you practice righteousness, you will pursue after righteousness
a) Sanctified Vessels – 2 Timothy 2:22 – flee youthful lusts, pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
c. The genuine believer “keeps himself’ on guard constantly against sin—Wiles of the devil.
1) 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 – Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God [is] faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear [it].
B. Positive – Righteousness must be in 2:29
– Keeping His commandments – 2:3
1. Jesus related the keeping of His commandments to loving Him.
a. John 14:21 – "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."
b. John 14:15 – "If you love Me, keep My commandments.
2. Jesus related the keeping of His commandments to His Lordship over your lives.
a. Luke 6:46 – "But why do you call Me `Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?
b. Matthew 7:21-23 – "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. "Many will say to Me in that day, `Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
3. Jesus related the keeping of His commandments to following His example.
a. "You call me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for [so] I am. "If I then, [your] Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. "If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them
b. We are to “walk as He walked”
4. Jesus related the keeping of His commandments to
a. Loving God completely
b. Loving our neighbor as ourselves
– Keeping His Word – 2:5 “keep” is a continuous action; to continue on and not stop; a day by day obedience
1. When we draw near to God, keeping His Word, we begin to establish a relationship with Him.
a. Just as a boy who meets a girl and begins to draw near to her.
b. He begins to know her and develop affection for her.
1) The same with God, the more we draw near to Him, keeping His Word, learning about Him, the more we love Him! “Love of Christ constrains me”
c. The only way to know somebody is to get near to that person.
2. If I am in Him, His love is being perfected in my life.
a. There are those who are easy to love.
b. Those who are difficult to love.
c. Those who are impossible.
1) But I know that I am “in Him” & God is working in my life when
a) I begin to love those that are impossible for me naturally to love.
b) Supernaturally we can love those who we can not love naturally.
2) You cannot mentally prepare yourself to love someone, you will fail!
a) Only God can do this in you – Philippians 2:12-13
II. The Second Proof Is Love—3:14 How do we know what we know?
A. Negative—1John 2:15
– Do not love the world
1. Satan is the head of the worlds system—the god of this age.
a. But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
b. John 12:31 –"Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
2. The world is under his power.
a. 1 John 5:19 – We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies [under the sway of] the wicked one.
b. Ephesians 2:1-3 – And you [He made alive], who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
3. The world is evil – Galatians 1:4
a. Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father.
4. The tragic affects of loving the world.
a. A turning away from the Lord’s work & other believers – 2 Timothy 4:10
1) Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica.
b. Alienation from God – James 4:4
1) '' Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
c. Falling into corrupting sins – 2 Peter 1:3-4
1) His divine power has given to us all things that [pertain] to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption [that is] in the world through lust.
2) Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life.
d. Deception by false teachers – 1 John 4:1 cf. 2 John 7
1) Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2) For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ [as] coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
5. The solution to the love of the world – 1 John 2:15
a. Having a greater love for the Father & His Son!
1) By seeking to please Him daily in everything
2) Drawing near to God, establishing a relationship with Him.
3) Striving for spiritual growth – reading, studying, praying
b. Realizing that the world is passing away & the lust of it – 1 John 2:15
1) Mark 8:36 –"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?
– Love the brethren
1. 1 John 2:10
a. Abides in the light - The obedient man lives and walks with Christ
b. Is no cause for stumbling in him.
2. 1 John 3:11
a. the world will know that we are His disciples – John 13:34
b. we are to love one another as Christ has loved us – John 15:12
3. 1 John 3:14
a. This love is a sign to the world – John 13:34
b. Now becomes a sign to me that I have passed from death to life—knowing God
John the Baptist speaking of Jesus said
1) John 3:36 – "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
c. According to the Scriptures, there are many people who have never lived – 1 Tim. 5:6
1) They eat, sleep, walk, breath, but they never lived.
2) Life does not truly begin until you have life in Christ-The Spiritual life!
a) Ephesians 2:1-5 – made us alive
So how do I know that I have passed from death unto life, because of my love for the brethren? – 1 John 4:7-8
How do I know that I am in Him? Because His love is being perfected in me.
– God’s Love For Us
1. 1 John 3:16
How do I know God loves me?
a. God shows His love for us by pointing to the cross of Jesus!
There is the proof that God loves me, “He laid down His life for me”!
1) John 3:16
2) Romans 5:8
3) In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son [to be] the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10.
2. Many circumstances in our lives would cause us to challenge God’s love for us.
a. God’s love is not always manifested so that we can see it in the circumstances.
God does not always explain to me the reason for the things He is doing in my life.
1) The reason is He wants me to trust in Him!
b. Our faith is being tested at this time.
Whenever we come in to a painful experience Satan say’s “If God really loved you, why would He allow you to experience this pain?
1) I don’t know. We don’t always understand.
If you ever question God’s love for you, He will point you to the cross where He proved His love for you!
How do I know that I am of the truth?
– A Genuine Love “Your Actions Speak Louder Than Your Words”!
1. 1 John 3:16-18
“In deed and in truth”
a. James 1:22 – “Be doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves”
b. James says in 2:15-17 – If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what [does it] profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
c. Matthew 25:41-46 – "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, `Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: `for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; `I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.' "Then they also will answer Him, saying, `Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?' "Then He will answer them, saying, `Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do [it] to one of the least of these, you did not do [it] to Me.' "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
2. Jesus speaking to the Scribes & Pharisees.
a. "Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: `These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with [their] lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching [as] doctrines the commandments of men.'" Matthew 15:7-9 NKJV
How do I know that God abides in me?
III. The Third Proof Is the Spirit—3:24
A. Positive – the Holy Spirit
1. 1 John 3:24 – Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
2. 1 John 4:13 – By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.
Paul mentions this in Corinthians
a. Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us [is] God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee. 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 NKJV
b. 2 Corinthians 5:6 – the Spirit of guarantee.
c. Ephesians 1:13-14 – “sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee.
d. We now can cry out “Abba Father-daddy”! Romans 8:15…Galatians 4:6
B. Negative – Spirit of the Antichrist
We need to ask the question, “who do you say that Jesus is?”
The way a person responds to this question, will determine their ETERNAL DESTINY!
1. 1 John 4:1-6
The cults all have a wrong view of who Jesus Christ is.
a. Jesus said when the Holy Spirit comes that He would testify of Me – John 15:26
b. "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own [authority], but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare [it] to you. John 16:13-14
2. The Cults deny that Jesus Christ is God
a. Mormons – the brother of Lucifer
b. JW’s – Michel the Arch Angel
3. Scriptures of the Deity of Christ.
a. John 17:3 – believing that Jesus is anything less than God is to NOT POSSESS eternal life
b. John 1:1 The Word was God
c. John 20:26-29 – Jesus received worship from Thomas
1) -no rebuke but a blessing
2) -John did not change his mind, nor did Thomas, but the resurrection from the dead proved His deity.
3) -Psalm 35:23- My God and My Lord
d. 1 John 1:1-2…1 John 5:20 The Eternal Life…only God is eternal
e. Titus 2:13 Our Great God & Savior
f. Hebrews 1:1-13
1) 1:6 – only God can receive worship
a) Jesus said this in Matthew 4:10 Away with you, Satan! For it is written, `You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.'"
b) Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
Then he said to me, "See [that you do] not [do that]. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God." Revelation 22:8-9 NKJV
2) 1:8 – this is God speaking to Jesus—The Father called Jesus God
a) But to the Son [He says]: "Your throne, O God, [is] forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness [is] the scepter of Your Kingdom.
So anybody who says Jesus is less than God doe not possess Eternal life.
Who Do You Say That Jesus is?
We Must Consider What the Bible says, not what you or I say.
The Bible is the Inspired, Inerrent, Authoritative Word of God! The Final Authority of our lives!
6. The pleasures and possesses of this world.
a. Where is your heart? On earth or in heaven?