Can God PM
"Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness?"
Sounds like us sometimes, doesn't it?
We say we want to serve the Lord and know His will, then when He tells us what He wants us to do, we often balk at what the Lord is doing.
This was Israel's problem.
They were called out of Egypt to follow the Lord by faith. However, they seemed to constantly doubt the power, the promises and the presence of God as they traveled.
The entire attitude of their hearts is summed up in the two-word question they voiced, "Can God?"
When they asked this question, they doubted everything about the Lord.
They needed a lesson in trust. This morning, I realize that we are a lot like Israel.
We often ask the question "Can God?"
Today, I want us to see from the Scriptures that "God Can!"
The God we serve is still the Lord of glory.
He is still the King of kings and He is still able to do all the things He has ever been able to do.
I. The Condition Of The People
A. They Were Faithless - (v. 20, 41)
1. Here was a people who called themselves by God's name.
2. Here was a people who should have trusted the Lord without reservation.
3. Yet, they seemed unaware to the power of God in their midst.
4. Isn't that a lot like the people of the Lord today?
5. Instead of trusting God and living by faith, we worry and we fret.
6. But it doesn't have to be that way!
7. We have a God in Whom we can trust, without reservation and without fear.
(John 20:27) Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing
B. They were forgetful - (v. 7; 42)
1. It seems the nation of Israel just couldn't remember all of the wonderful miracles that God had performed on their behalf.
2. The nation of Israel suffered from a serious bout of forgetfulness.
a. Forgetful of how He had delivered them from Egypt by the plagues.
b. How He had parted the Red Sea.
c. How He made the waters of Mara pure.
d. How He had put their enemies on the run.
e. How He had proven Himself to be God and to be all powerful time and again.
3. They were forgetful of the mighty power of God they had witnessed in their lives.
4. Again, this describes us, doesn't it?
a. How many times has God come through for us?
b. How many times has He moved mountains, parted the waters in our life?
c. How many times has He lifted the veil of affliction and suffering in our lives and allowed the light of His glory to brighten our day?
d. How many times has He spoken peace to our storm?
e. How many times has He met the need, done the impossible, and proven Himself to be our God?
f. And, how often have we forgotten all about what He did yesterday when the trials of today comes up?
5. We need to take a look back this morning and remember all the things God has done for us.
6. If God did it then, we can be sure that He will do it now!
7. We need to take inventory and remember the Lord's power when the next storm begins to blow in our lives.
C. They Were Foolish -
1. By asking "Can God?" they proved their ignorance of His power and of His Person.
2. This same scene was played out many times during the course of Israel's wilderness wanderings, and after they arrived n Canaan.
3. One time that comes to mind is when the 12 spies were sent into Canaan.
4. While there, they encountered a race of people known as the Anakim who were giants.
5. When the 10 faithless spies saw the giants, they looked at them and then they looked at themselves and compared themselves to grasshoppers, Num. 13:33.
6. In reality, they were comparing God to the problems.
7. Once again, we are guilty of the same type of comparisons.
II. The Character Of Their God
A. His Promises v5-7
1. Israel had seen God keep His Word time and time again.
2. He was always faithful to do what He promised to do for them.
3. God hasn't changed!
4. He is still a God who keeps His Word!
5. Everything God has promised, He will do!
(Rom 4:21) And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
(Titus 1:2) In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
B. His Performance v4; 12
1. Throughout their history, Israel had enjoyed the presence and the power of Almighty God.
2. Time and again God had demonstrated His power in the midst of His people.
3. Imagine seeing Him part the Red Sea, drop manna from the heavens every day for 40 years.
4. Imagine seeing God defeat all your enemies.
5. Imagine the thrill of seeing His glory as He came down upon the Tabernacle.
6. Imagine the pillar of cloud and of fire. God had proven Himself time and again to His people.
7. Look back over the years and remember the times the Lord has displayed His great power in your life.
8. He has proven Himself to you and me repeatedly!
C. His Power
1. Throughout their history, God had proven that He was stronger than every obstacle they faced.
2. He was more powerful than Egypt, and the Amalekites.
3. He proved Himself to be greater than their thirst and their hunger.
4. He was able to overcome all they faced by His great power.
(Eph 3:20) Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
D. His Patience v38
1. While God continued to show Himself strong on behalf of His people, Israel continually lacked the faith to trust the Lord as they should.
2. However, the Bible tells us that "many a time" He turned His anger away from them.
3. He was patient with them and lead them along in love and in grace.
4. Thank God we serve a patient God!
III. The Challenge For Today v6-8
A. Have Confidence In God
(Mark 11:22) And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
(Psa 62:8) Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
(John 14:1) Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
B. These verses teach us that we are to trust Him for all our needs and in every situation.
1. When the world wrings its hands in despair and doubt and asks the question "Can God?"
2. We, who believe the Bible should stand forth and cry out, "Yes!"
3. King Darius wondered if God could deliver Daniel, but the next morning he found out that God can!
4. Nebuchadnezzar questioned whether God could deliver the three Hebrew young men from the fiery furnace, but he soon saw that God can!
5. The disciples in the ship in the midst of the storm stood in amazement when Jesus calmed the wind and the sea, and discovered that God can!
6. The widow of Zarephath, along with Jarius, Mary and Martha came to realize that even in death, God can!
C. Carry Out His Commandments.
1. Genuine faith in the Lord always manifests itself in obedience to the Lord and His Word.
2. Remember, Faith come by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
3. When we get into His Word and allow it to lodge in our hearts, changing us, then we will learn to trust Him more and more.
Remember God's character tonight and remember that God can…supply our need, overcome all obstacles, and strengthen us.