How to Survive the Shaking/Sifting
“For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: 26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.” Heb 12:25-27
1. How does the Bible describe the shaking?
· Isaiah 17:4-6 (Ephraim, the Northern Kingdom)
· Ezekiel 38:18, 19
2. When did the shaking begin?
“The mighty shaking has commenced and will go on, and all will be shaken out who are not willing to take a bold and unyielding stand for the truth and to sacrifice for God and His cause. The angel said, "Think ye that any will be compelled to sacrifice? No, no. It must be a freewill offering.” EW 50
3. Are we now in the shaking time in this Church?
· Heb 3:12-15
“I saw that we are now in the shaking time. Satan is working with all his power to wrest souls from the hand of Christ and cause them to trample underfoot the Son of God . . . Character is being developed. Angels of God are weighing moral worth. God is testing and proving His people.” 1T 429
4. What is the purpose of this shaking/sifting?
· 1 Kings 18:17-21
“Sins exist in the church that God hates, but they are scarcely touched for fear of making enemies. Opposition has risen in the church to the plain testimony. Some will not bear it . . . I saw that individuals would rise up against the plain testimonies. It does not suit their natural feelings. They would choose to have smooth things spoken unto them, and have peace cried in their ears. I view the church in a more dangerous condition than they ever have been. Experimental religion is known but by a few. The shaking must soon take place to purify the church.” 2SG 284
The terms “shaking” and “sifting” are synonymous in the Spirit of Prophecy but sometimes “sifting” is the more severe of the two terms. Either way, a separating process is involved. Shake sand and gravel in a pain, and they will separate within the pan; drill holes in the bottom and continue shaking; now you are sifting, as the sand falls out and only the gravel remains.
Throughout the history of our church, many superficial believers have been shaken out. (Our problem today is that the church is so lukewarm, that the superficial feel very much at home—and those faithful to our historic beliefs are instead being crowded out: a reverse shaking!) But the shaking/sifting process in our church will climax in the crisis brought on by the enactment of the national Sunday law.
Things that caused the Shaking in Christ’s Time
5. What caused a shaking in Capernaum during the time of Christ ________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:28-33
6. What word of truth (“present truth”) was Jesus teaching ________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:35
7. What was the condition of the people at that time _________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:36
8. What was the reason for the “present truth” Jesus taught then __________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:39, 40
9. Because of the “pointed” truth Jesus taught, how did His own people discredit Him ____________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:42
10. Did Jesus continue teaching truth ____________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:47-51
11. What was the condition of the people after hearing these solemn truths ____________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:52
Second Phase of the Shaking in Capernaum
12. Did Jesus back down from teaching “present truth” ____________________________________________?
· John 6:53-58
13. What was the condition of the people as a result of His message? How did they respond to Him ____________________________________________________________________?
· John 6:59, 60
Things That Cause The Shaking Today
A. False theories produce a shaking
“When the shaking comes, by the introduction of false theories, these surface readers, anchored nowhere, are like shifting sand. They slide into any position to suit the tenor of their feelings of bitterness. . . . Daniel and Revelation must be studied, as well as the other prophecies of the Old and New Testaments. Let there be light, yes, light, in your dwellings. For this we need to pray. The Holy Spirit, shining upon the sacred page, will open our understanding, that we may know what is truth. . . .” TM 112
· “The enemy will bring in false theories, such as the doctrine that there is no sanctuary. This is one of the points on which there will be a departing from the faith. Where shall we find safety unless it be in the truths that the Lord has been giving for the last fifty years?” Ev 224
B. The shaking occurs when the truth is refused.
· “There is to be a shaking among God's people; but this is not the present truth to carry to the churches. It will be the result of refusing the truth presented.” 2SM 13
· “There must be a refining, winnowing process in every church, for there are among us wicked men who do not love the truth or honor God. We are in the shaking time, the time when everything that can be shaken will be shaken.” LDE 173
· “Not having received the love of the truth, they will be taken in the delusions of the enemy; they will give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils, and will depart from the faith.” 6T 401
C. The rejection of the straight testimony brings the shaking.
· “I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this is what will cause a shaking among God's people.”
· “I saw that the testimony of the True Witness has not been half heeded. The solemn testimony upon which the destiny of the church hangs has been lightly esteemed, if not entirely disregarded. This testimony must work deep repentance; all who truly receive it will obey it and be purified.” EW 270
D. Disobedience brings the shaking.
· “We are in the shaking time, the time when everything that can be shaken will be shaken. The Lord will not excuse those who know the truth if they do not in word and deed obey His commands. If we make no effort to win souls to Christ we shall be held responsible for the work we might have done, but did not do because of our spiritual indolence. Those who belong to the Lord's kingdom must work earnestly for the saving of souls.” CM p. 12
E. Persecution produces a shaking.
· “In the absence of the persecution there have drifted into our ranks men who appear sound and their Christianity unquestionable, but who, if persecution should arise, would go out from us. In the crisis they would see force in specious reasons that have had an influence on their minds. Satan has prepared various snares to meet varied minds.” Ev 360