A.G. Girl and mule "you must be very religious!"
NtK. Joy is the expression of our faith which the world can clearly see as evidence of our faith.
Pur. Since joy is the expression of our faith, we can use it as a barometer of our faith. I want you to know and express the fullest joy you can know.
Pre. 1. Joy as evidenced in the Bible.
2. Joy is the result of our fulfillment.
3. Joy is the expression of our faith.
Trans. Let's look at the many examples of joy in the Bible.
I. Joy is expressed throughout the Bible.
A. In creation
1. Psalm 65:12 "The grasslands of the desert overflow; the hills are clothed with gladness. The meadows are covered with flocks; and the valleys are mantled with grain; they shout for joy and sing."
2. Romans 8:18 25 Creation is now groaning for the return of Christ.
1. Job 38:7 "The morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy."
2. Luke 15:10 "In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of angels of God over one sinner who repents."
1.Psalm 33:6,8 "By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of His mouth. For He spoke, and it came to be; He commanded, and it stood firm."
2. Genesis 1:31 "God saw all that He had made, and it was very good."
D. Holy Spirit
Gal 5:22 "the fruit of the Spirit is joy."
E. Jesus Christ He was happy in a sad time.
1. Seen with children.
2. Rejoiced often.
3. Encouraged others to be of "good cheer".
We are to express our joy. WE can rejoice over what the angels can't. Our salvation.
II. Joy is the expression of fulfillment.
A. What is joy?
1. Joy The emotion or expression evoked by well being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires.
2.Fulfillment to satisfy, to convert into reality, to develop the full potentials of, to realize one's desires.
3.Therefore, we can say, joy is the expression or emotion of being, or expecting, fulfillment.
4. 63% agree with this statement:
"The purpose of life is enjoyment and personal fulfillment.
B. The Ultimate fulfillment. Life in Jesus Christ.
1. John 14:6 "I am the way, truth, and life."
2. John 10:10 "I have come that they might have life, and have it to the fullest."
C. Fulfilled life brings JOY!
1 Peter 1:8,9 "Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."
III. Joy, as Christian is also an expression of our faith.
1. Joy is the emotion or expression of fulfillment or the prospect of possessing what one desires.
2. Fulfillment is to realize one's potential, to convert into reality.
3. Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Habakkuk 3:16 19. Faith is the belief in God regardless. Joy is the expression of that faith.
B. Don't let the world choke out your joy.
1. Luke 8:11 15 Joy is choked out by the cares of the world.
2. John 10:10 "The thief comes to steal and destroy."
C. What is the key to our joy. Jesus.
1. Habakkuk. 3:18 "I will rejoice greatly in the Lord."
2. Psalm 33:21 "In Him our hearts rejoice, we trust in His holy name."
3. Remember joy is also expectation of receiving. Our joy is not behind us, but before us.
a. Hebrews 12:2 "For the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and set down at the right hand at the throne of God."
At 12, His Father's business.
At 33, It is finished.
What was His joy? What was his mission.
Doing His Father's will.
b. Matthew 24:21 "Well done, enter into your master's happiness."
c. Acts Paul says finish the race with joy.
4. You cannot claim the past, only the future.
Conclusion If you don't know Jesus, you can't know real joy.
Joy is accomplishing an objective.
What greater, more joyous, objective is serving almighty God, who alone can give fulfilled life?
Are you fully filled.
Psalm 16:11 "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. 121497