Bridging the Gap between what we know and what we do II
Bridging the Gap between what we know and what we do II / NV 5-25-08am
OS:1 “What’s the first thing you have to do to receive forgiveness of sins?” …. “The first thing you have to do is sin.”
I. Bridging the Gap – Last week = Problem
A. There is a gap between what I know and what I do.
B. Illu – 3 hikers came to a raging river.
1. “God make me strong enough to swim this river” Poof, he had big strong arms, muscular legs, 2 hours of struggle he makes it.
2. “God give me enough tools to cross this river” Poof, he had a row boat – hour later he makes it.
3. “God please make me smart enough to cross this river” Poof, God made him a woman, he looked at the map, walked five minutes upstream and crossed the bridge.
C. To bridge the gap what do we need to ask of God?
II. Maybe we need to understand a little more about why we have this problem.
A. Last week – Romans 7 / this week Romans 5:12 – 6 (What)
B. Today – Why
C. Next Sunday – More about the How.
III. When you talk about “why” you end up with understanding.
A. Knowledge is a must to bridge the gap.
B. We would rather have a three step process – but sometimes we just have to understand some things first.
TS] If you want to bridge the gap between what you know and what you do then you must understand that….
I. 2Your actions are guided by who you are, more so than by what you know.
A. 3 Notice Romans 5:12-21 (12&18)
1. “One” 11 times (our identification with Adam & Christ)
2. “Reign” – 5 times (Adam & Christ – kingdom)
3. “much more” – 5 times (We have gained much more in Christ than we ever lost in Adam.)
B. :To be a Christian is a matter of identity.
1. Our initial identity is in Adam – not by choice.
2. 4 Romans 5:13-14 (death still reigned – people do not die because of their own sin, but physical death is inherited from Adam’s sin – or else babies would not die)
3. People die because they are united racially to Adam, and “in Adam all men die. 1 Corinthians 15:22, For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.
C. In becoming a Christian we assume our identity in Jesus
1. 5 Galatians 2:20, I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
2. 6 Through Baptism - Romans 6:2-5
3. Baptism has a role in who we are, and what we do with the life God has given us.
D. When our identity is in Jesus we naturally are becoming like Him more and more.
1. Illu – married couples begin to look alike over the years.
2. 2 Corinthians 3:18, And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
TS] If you want to bridge the gap between what you know and what you do then you must understand that your actions are guided by who you are – identity is Jesus…And, understand that…
II. 7 Your actions are first decided by your choice of a Master, not behavior. (Illu – BB / what will you do if…)
A. Notice 5:18, “Justification of life” -The result of a Jesus identity
1. Our identity with Adam made us sinners; our identity with Christ enables us to “reign in life”
2. 8 Romans 6:16-19
3. Identity = The quality or condition of being the same as something else.
B. :Identity = relationship
1. We could never save ourselves.
2. Yet, after baptism we tend to un-identify with Jesus and identify with our own ability to be obedient, and we fail.
3. 9 Romans 12:1-2
4. 10 Romans 6:13
TS] If you want to bridge the gap between what you know and what you do then you must understand that your actions are guided by who you are – identity is Jesus…And, your actions are guided by your choice of Master…And understand that…
III. 11 If you don’t get a handle on these points you can defeat yourself.
A. Remember – Christianity is about Jesus and our identity in Him, not a set of laws.
1. 12 Romans 5:20
2. Romans 7:7-8
B. If we don’t daily assume Christ’s identity, his death and resurrection (#1), and daily submit ourselves to Him (#2), then the sin of Adam will instead be guiding what we do. And then, the Bible, spiritual knowledge can actually become like the law, and keep us from obeying God.
IV. 13 The why of Bridging the gap – Christianity is much more than what we know, it’s who we know.
A. It’s a long process of relational growth
B. 14 John 15 – I am the vine and you are the branches, remain in Me and you will bear much fruit. Apart from Me you can do nothing!
C. Bible is empty without Christ!