Christmas as the Angels Saw It by Colin Smith
Introduction: * 1 Timothy 3:16 is one of the earliest Christmas carols.
- Consider the Christmas story through the eyes of the angels.
- As the pinnacle of heavenly creation, angels are present when heaven and earth meet.
- The Gospels give us seven answers to what the angels saw.
1. The angels saw Christ in heaven. * The pre-existent Christ brought the angels into being.
- Isaiah 6:1–3
2. The angels saw Christ in the manger.
3. The angels saw Christ in the desert. * Jesus was tempted at every point as we are, yet was without sin.
- Angels ministered to him after his exhausting struggle.
- Illustration: John Henry Newman's poem on Christ's temptation.
4. The angels saw Christ in the garden. * An angel appeared to strengthen him in the agony of Gethsemane.
5. The angels saw Christ on the cross. * Matthew 26:53
6. The angels saw Christ at the Resurrection. * Matthew 28:2
7. The angels will see Christ at the Second Coming. * Revelation 5:11
We are to tell the nations what the angels have seen.
Conclusion: * We should share the angels' sense of awe in worship.
- Because of Christ we will be exalted with Christ and above the angels.