1. The basis of giving
Because of or instead of? --II Cor. 8:5
1. Commitment vs. 5 1. Lack of Commitment
2. Overflowing Joy vs. 5 2. Overwhelming guilt
3. Rich generosity vs. 2 3. Substitute generosity
Is the money a symbol of me or substitute for me?
2. The motive for giving
To express my love for God by loving others. God doesn’t need my money-people do
1. Insuring purity of motive
a. Direction of gift-saints in Jerusalem
b. Manner of giving – II Cor. 8:9-21
c. Left hand and right
3. The method and purpose of giving – II Cor. 9:6-9
2. Cheerfully Why?
Godly giving is not money down a rat hole. It is sowing, harvesting, and sowing again
B. Purpose – to equip and supply for good works v. 8, also Eph. 2:10