Why I am Proud of the Gospel
Why I am Proud of the Gospel
Romans 1:16-18 (KJV)
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Proud to be an American, to be free, to be poor, heck some folks talk like they are even proud to be a “redneck”! What am I proud of you might ask? Proud of the gospel!
“I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ” What a statement for Paul to make! There were a lot of reasons Paul could have had reason to not feel this way the not the least of which was his very life! Many Christians were hiding their faith to stay away from arguments, fearing what others might say, to keep their friends they had from before they knew Jesus as their savior.
By understanding the several reasons why Paul wasn’t ashamed we can fully use the benefits of the gospel in our lives and share the gospel with others.
We should be proud of this gospel . . .
1. Because of what it is (verse 16: “the gospel of Christ”)
Luke 9:26 (KJV)
26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels.
- We feel pride because of what it is, who it stands for, what it is all about!
- It is good news (“the gospel”) in contrast to the bad news of the world.
- It is Christ centered (“of Christ”)
- It is all about salvation, free salvation!
2. Because of this dynamic power (verse 16: “the power of God unto salvation”)
It is all powerful (“power of God”). Even Satan himself cannot overcome this great power with all that he has to fight it with! The war is already decided and he lost! Hebrews 2:14-15 (KJV)
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
- All other religions have their dogmas and their codes of ethics to live by, but they do not have this dynamic power to achieve them.
- It is saving (“to salvation”) and saves the whole person.
3. Because of its method (verse 17)
- It is a true revelation for us all! (“for therein is the righteousness of God revealed”).
- It is progressive (“from faith to faith”)
- It is appropriated by faith (the just shall live by faith”).
4. Because of its results (verses 17-32)
- Reveals the righteousness of God to the believer (“the righteousness of God is revealed”).
- Condemnation of unbelievers who suppress the truth (verses 18-20).
Romans 1:18-20 (NLT)
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who push the truth away from themselves. 19 For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. 20 From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God.
Are you proud of the gospel or embarrassed by it? If you are proud of the gospel because of what it is, its power, its method, or its results then you will want to praise God for this good news.
If you have been embarrassed to accept the gospel then open your heart today and receive Jesus into your heart.