Tools of the Trade
Tools of the Trade
The gifts of the Holy Spirit are received prior to the Baptism in the Holy Spirit
1 Corinthians 12:7-11 (KJV)
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
1. Word of Wisdom A wise utterance spoken through the Holy Spirit. This is a revelation of God’s Word or the Holy Spirits wisdom to a situation or problem (Acts 15:13-22) it is Not the same as having the wisdom of God for daily living. (If you want that read James 1:5-6)
2. Word of Knowledge This is an utterance inspired by the Holy Spirit about people, circumstances, or Biblical truth. It is closely connected with prophecy (Acts 5:1-10 *Annanias)
3. Gift of Faith This is not Saving Faith, but a special supernatural faith that makes us able to believe God for miracles it removes mountains!
4. Gifts of Healing these gifts are given to the church to restore physical health through supernatural means.
5. Miracles Things that are done which alter the very laws of nature.
Prophecy The ability to bring a word or revelation DIRECTLY from God it is not delivering a prepared sermon, nor is it foretelling the future, but proclaiming word of encouragement. Or offer edification, exhortation, comfort, warning,, and judgement. We cannot believe every word of prophecy some are false prophets.
1 John 4:1-3 (KJV)
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
Discerning of Spirits This is a special gift to properly discern and judge prophecies whether they are from God. Also to tell whether an utterance is from the Holy Spirit. It is during these times we now live that this gift is especially important. Matthew 24:5-13 (KJV)
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
6. Gift of Tongues this is not the same as evidence of the Baptism in the Spirit it is a message given in an unknown or heavenly language which is spoken. It must not be done out of control or without an interpreter
7. Interpretation of Tongues
1 Corinthians 14:27-33 (KJV)
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.