Repent, For The Kingdom Is At Hand
St. Matthew 3:1-3; 4:16-17
1 re•pent \ri-ˈpent\ vb
[ME, fr. AF repentir, fr. ML repoenitēre, fr. L re- + LL poenitēre to feel regret, alter. of L paenitēre — more at penitent] vi 14c
1 : to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one’s life
2 a : to feel regret or contrition
b : to change one’s mind vt
repentance Contrition, the acknowledgment and condemnation of one’s own sins together with a turning back toward God. Springing from a disinterested love of God, it includes sorrow, confession, and a determination not to sin again. (Nelson's New Christian Dictionary)
You must come to the place that you are sorry for what you've done.
Sermon text with italics and bold and John 3:16 and v. 20.
What Does Salvation Cost You?
You must be willing to give up some things when you come to God.
- self righteousness
- love of ease
- the favour of the world
If You Want To Go To Heaven, It's God's Right To Tell You How To Get There Because It's God's Heaven.
- Who's Not Going To Heaven?
- 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 (electronic ed. of the 1769 edition of the 1611 Authorized Version.) (Ga 5:19-21).
- Who's Going To Heaven?
- The blood washed and delivered.
- Those that have repented of their sins and turned from their wicked ways.
There Is A Difference Between Remorse And Repentance
You can be sorry for what you have done only because you are suffering the consequences. But that is only remorse, not repentance.
- But in order to enjoy fellowship with God, there must be more than remorse, there must be genuine repentance.
- There is a law of the kingdom that says that there must be a repentant spirit.
- You've got to know that what you have done was offensive to God.
- That's right, you must realize that you have caused pain to the heart of the God Who loves you and cares for you.
- Your spirit must be broken.
- */Like the Prophet Isaiah, when he came in contact with the holiness of God.
- He sees himself as a sinner in need of change, and rather than justify himself and his sins, he declared himself to be sinful and in need of forgiveness.