Way to Life-Lesson 9 Who Is Jesus
Who Is Jesus?
· Which of these inner qualities listed below do you possess? Which are you lacking?
n Peace of mind about the kind of person you are, your relationships with others, your achievements, your future, and your eternal future after death
n A joy that endures in good and even through bad circumstances
n The ability to love, forgive and be patient with all people
· Where do you think you can find more peace, joy, and love for your life? Is there anyone who can give that to you or anything you can do to fulfill your spiritual lack?
The Bible story for this study tells us about a man who had an extremely bad physical problem, and an even greater spiritual need. The solutions to both of his problems depended upon two facts. The first was the identity of Jesus Christ. The second was what the man and his friends believed that Jesus could do for the man.
Read Luke 5:17-26
A paralytic (5:18) was a paralyzed person. These people were, most often, considered outcasts, and were left to beg on the streets for their livelihood.
Blasphemy (5:21) is saying something that dishonors God. For instance, a man who is not God would blaspheme if he said he had the special power and authority that only God has. That would be stealing God’s honor. He would be claiming to be as great as God or implying that God is no greater than a human being.
Son of Man (5:24) is the name or title Jesus used for himself. This title was used to describe him hundreds of years earlier by a prophet in the Old Testament named Daniel (Daniel 7:13,14,27). Daniel prophesied that god would send “a Son of Man” who had God’s special power to rescue his people.
1. What kind of effort did the men make to get to Jesus? What does that indicate about what they thought of Jesus?
2. What showed that the men carrying the paralyzed man had faith? Since faith lies deep within the one who has faith, what was it that Jesus “saw” in these men?
3. Why did Jesus forgive the man’s sins before healing him?
4. How did the religious ‘experts’ respond to Jesus’ words?
5. What point do you think Jesus was trying to make to his audience by his words and deeds?
6. What difference does it make about what we have faith in or whom we have faith in?
7. How would you describe Jesus from this lesson? List the characteristics which he showed.
8. Who do you believe that Jesus Christ is?
· What do you feel are your greatest needs?
· What, if anything, do you believe that Jesus has to offer you?
· It was quite difficult for the paralytic’s friends to get him in to see Jesus. Is there anything that makes it difficult for you to go to Jesus for help? If so, what is it?