Way to Life-Lesson 11a
Jesus’ Victory over Death
- You know that you are going to die. How does that fact make you feel?
- Why must all people die?
- What would you do if someone told you that they saw a dead person come back to life?
The Eleven (9, 33) – These are the original twelve disciples except for Judas who betrayed Jesus, and killed himself.
Prophet (19) – A prophet is a spokesperson for God.
Redeem Israel (21) -- They had hoped that Jesus would set the Jewish nation of Israel free from the domination of the Roman Empire.
Christ (25, 46) – The Christ was the redeemer God promised to send the Jews. They had waited hundreds of years for him.
Scriptures (27, 32, 45) – The Scriptures refers to the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms (44), the Old Testament of the Bible.
Simon (34) – Also known as Simon Peter, he was one of the twelve disciples (or apostles). He was a leader among them.
Repentance (47) – To repent is to change your mind, or to turn your life away from sin to follow God.
Read Luke 24:1-53
- What would you have done if you were among the women who found the empty tomb and saw the angels? (verses 2 – 5)
- Why do you think the travelers on the road did not recognize Jesus? (verse 16)
- What did Jesus do that opened the eyes of the two travelers to his identity? Why would that action make them recognize Jesus? (verses 30 – 31)
- So then, what finally convinced them that Jesus rose from the dead? See Luke 24:30-45, 50-53.
- What do you think they meant when they said that their hearts were burning within them? Have you ever felt this? (verse 32)
- What does Acts 2:22-32 teach about the Christ? (Acts 2:22-32 is taken from Psalms 16:8-11).
- Jesus knew the disciples had doubts. What does he say and do about those doubts? How does he prove that he is truly alive? (verses 37 – 43)
- What was the assignment Jesus gave to the disciples before he returned to heaven? (verses 46 – 49)
- What do you think this power from on high is? (verse 49) See also, Acts 2:32-33.
- The disciples worshipped Jesus when He returned to heaven. What does this say about the identity of Jesus? Would you worship Jesus? (verse 52)