Scripture: Matt 4:23
● Jesus' main message was the good news of the Kingdom (Matt 9:35)
● “Kingdom” is another way of saying “rule” or “government”
● The “Kingdom” is not the church or Christianity
● The Kingdom has always existed (Ps 103:19), but has now broken into history
● Jesus brought the kingdom into our world (Luke 11:20)
● The Kingdom is the rule of God in Christ, which created the church, and is already destroying God's enemies (Col 1:13, Matt 16:17-19)
● The kingdom is also a future state, when God's rule will be perfectly experienced (Rev 21:1-4,22-27, 1 Cor 15:50)
● The mystery of the kingdom: God's rule is here, but not in its fullness (Matthew 13:24-30)
● We must enter the kingdom through repentance, faith and the new birth (John 3:5-6, 16)
● The kingdom can be accepted or rejected now, because it is hidden and comes in secret (Mark 4:11,30-32)
● There are only two kingdoms in this world, and they oppose each other (Matt 12:25-28)
1. What do you think of when you hear the word “kingdom”?
2. How was the kingdom described in the Old Testament (Is 2:1-4, Is 9:6-7)? How was Jesus' message different from this (Luke 17:20-21, 24-25)?
3. What are some signs of God's rule entering into our lives? ( Luke 10:8-15 OR Luke 19:1-9)
4. How is the future kingdom described? (Rev 21:1-4,22-27)
5. How do we enter into the kingdom? (John 3:5-6, 16)
6. What are the signs of the kingdom of darkness (Eph 2:1-3, Gal 5:16-21)? How are we different(v22)? Why are we different?