Every Spiritual Blessing
Every Spiritual Blessing
1. Read Eph. 1:1-3.
2. Regarding Text:
(1) It is a key to the chapter, as well as the book.
(2) Our attention is naturally attracted and well placed on the verse.
(3) Paul, an apostle – not by his own choosing, but by the will of God, is writing this “prison” epistle in chains awaiting trial.
(4) In three short verses (actually one verse – v. 3) covers the source, scope and sphere of the blessings which Christians enjoy.
(5) Notice that the word blessed appears twice in verse three.
A. First time = adjective – In reference to God.
B. Second time = verb – in reference to Christians – eulogesas = connected to our word eulogy. In other words, God – for some reason – has seen fit to speak well of Christians.
3. Blessed be the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The verse is simple, but the verse runs deep in meaning…
I. The Blessings Are From God.
1. Our God is a giver.
(1) God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son (Jn. 3:16).
(2) Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed (given) upon us… 1 Jn. 3:1
(3) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning (Jas. 1:17).
A. James picture is similar to that of Paul. --- Father of darkness and Father of marvelous light.
B. Every good and perfect gift is from above – in the Greek = every good act of giving is from above.
2. I love the idea presented here. We can enjoy salvation because we choose God, but even more so, because God chose us.
(1) We will not delve too deeply into the subject matter of biblical predesitination.
(2) Suffice it to say that the Bible teaches predestination. God has not predestined the individuals who will be saved. God predestined the type of individual who could be saved and the way that we can be saved (in Christ).
3. Question = how will you respond to the gift of God.
II. The Blessings Are Spiritual.
1. Time would fail us to list every physical blessing.
(1) Beauty of nature to our eyes, ears, and sense of touch.
(2) Great and grand wonders of the world. Microscopic blessings to design of human body.
(3) Yes, God blesses us in that way, BUT which would you rather have--- Water that quinches you thirst for an hour or living water which will comfort for eternity?
2. Spiritual blessings – the forgiveness of sins. (Cf. Eph. 1:7)
(1) Wages of sin = death (Rom. 6:23).
(2) 2 Cor. 5:21; Heb. = better sacrifice. If I depended upon the sacrifice of a goat… I could never really be sure (Heb. 10:4), but with Christ I have that spiritual blessing.
3. Spiritual blessings – out of darkness and into light.
(1) Beautiful metaphor and a beautiful reality.
(2) In Him there is no darkess or variation or shadow of turning.
(3) Notice Paul’s progression – sins forgiven… spiritual enlightenment.
(4) I once was blind but now I see.
4. Spiritual blessings – adoption as sons…heirs of eternal riches.
(1) Words mean something… God describes Himself as our Father.
(2) We are sons and we have an inheritance!!! Quality of life…longevity existence.
III. Every Spiritual Blessing Is Provided.
1. This would still be a great verse, encouraging verse, rewarding verse if it read – Blessed be God and Father… blessed us with some…few…ONE!
2. But God delivers abundantly and perfectly. For our spiritual health.
3. Maybe Job said it best – “I know that you can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from you.” (Job 42.2).
4. I don’t know who some people are talking about when they talk about God, but I do know that the Bible says…
(1) God does what He says.
(2) God delivers what He promises.
(3) God desires what is good and right for you.
(4) God doesn’t waver.
A. He doesn’t just give us a few pieces of the puzzle and say – “There go figure it out!”
B. Look at the text again…”Blessed be the God and Father… every spiritual blessing…”
a. If you’re not motivated spiritually… It is not God’s fault.
b. If you are not growing spiritually… It is not God’s fault.
c. If you are not happy spiritually… It is not God’s fault!
IV. In Christ.
1. The point so many of our religious neighbors and some brethren want to overlook.
(1) Yes they want to acquire spiritual blessings.
(2) Yes they recognize Jesus as the vehicle of sorts or the catalyst.
(3) BUT they fail to realize… THIS IS AN ALL OR NOTHING PROPOSITION
A. Everry Spiritual blessing VS… All you heart soul mind and strength
B. Every spiritual blessing VS Fear God and keep His commandments for this is man’s ALL.
C. Every spiritual blessing VS If anyone desires to come after Me let him deny himself…
D. Every spiritual blessing VS “I don’t think you have to try and do everything God asks…
E. Every spiritual… VS – “I never study, hardly worship, and seldom evangelize.
F. Every spiritual… VS – “”I know that’s what the Bible says… BUT I’m not changing.
2. If you want the blessings God provides through Christ… YOU MUST BE IN!
3. IN = small word with gigantic consequences.
(1) If you are not in you are out. If you are out you are WITHOUT…
(2) I could ask the youngest of students with basic understanding of English language… “Where is the place of every Spiritual blessing?” ANS = IN CHRIST.
(3) NOW – That’s where God put every spiritual blessing. Where have be to enjoy?
(4) Question = ARE YOU IN CHRIST? Would God say same of you, or is that just your answer / hope? Bible tells you clearly how to get there.
A. Read Gal. 3:26-27.
B. Cf. Rom. 6:3f.
C. Cf. Acts 2:47
4. When you obey the Bible’s teaching as to requirements for salvation… Christ places your hands back into God’s hands, and God in turn places you—
(1) Not into Abraham… Not into Moses… Paul… John Baptist…
(2) Upon active obedient faith… God places you… INTO Chirst – the perfect expression of God’s love.
CONCLUSION: If you are not in, you are out. If you are out, you are without…