We Are Partakers Of The Divine
We Are Partakers Of The Divine
1. "Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." (2 Peter 1:2-4, NKJV)
(1) NIV – His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness.
(2) NET - …has bestowed on us everything necessary for life and godliness.
2. Regarding text:
(1) Peter is the author of it.
(2) Seems one of Peter’s favorite words = power (dunameos / dunamis)
A. 1 Pet. 1:5 – We are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation …
B. 2 Pet. 1:16 – For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
3. Someone might say, “There you go, another example of Bible teaching that all you need to do is believe in Jesus.
(1) 1st consider that this is not written to unbelievers but rather believers. They already believed in Jesus, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t go astray.
(2) Next, notice the word knowledge in the Greek = epiginosko as opposed to ginosko
(3) Peter is speaking not only about being in possession of facts, but to experience those facts… put them into action.. in such a way leading to intimacy and strong relationship.
4. Paul made a similar reference in Rom. 8 when he spoke of nothing being able to separate us from the love of Christ.
(1) If you love Him, you will keep His commandments.
(2) If you do not… you will forever be on the fringe (wanting to, knowing should, but not really love Lord)
5. If you are on the fringe this hour, the plea from this pulpit, the plea from all of Scripture = lay that burden down, draw close to the Lord Jesus Christ and partake of the divine!
DISCUSSION: Only A Christian Has Privilege Of Partaking Of --
I. His Blessed Name
- "And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch." (Acts 11:26, NKJV)
- "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”" - Acts 4:12
- "Then Agrippa said to Paul, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian." Acts 26:28
- "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins." - Matthew 1:21
1. Not everyone can have the name Soechting. I can give it to you (marriage, adoption, birth…).
2. Not everyone can have the name Christian. Based upon the Lord’s giving it to you (marriage, adoption, and birth) rather than you taking it upon self.
3. Not a greater name under heaven given among men…
II. His Humble Nature.
- " Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus," - Phil 2:5
- "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." - Rom 8:9
1. We sing:
(1) Oh to be like Thee, Oh to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou are, Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness, stamp Thine own image…
(2) Pure was the mind of Christ, sinless I see; He the great example is and pattern…
2. World religions offer to make you… a more powerful person, a wiser person, a richer person, a happier person.
3. Jesus offers to make you a better person.
III. His Admirable Work.
1. Football players want to get into the Hall of Fame. Why? So the know that their labor was not in vain.
2. Corporate America want’s a promotion with bonus. Why? So they know…
3. We erect tombstones and statues. Why? So a person’s life not in vain.
· " We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain." (2 Corinthians 6:1
· "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love." - Gal 5:6
4. Christianity offers you opportunity to be engaged in the ONLY thing that is not in vain. SALVATION OF SOULS.
(1) Bottom lines; P & L s; Stock prices; investments, things… In the end = rise and fall and no value to you.
(2) Saving souls – “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who saves souls is wise” (Prov. 11:30).
IV. His Suffering.
1. Parents, when your newborn or old born is sick and suffering, where are you? ANS – Right by their side (literally or figuratively).
- "This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, We shall also live with Him. If we endure, We shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us." - 2 Tim 2:11-12
- "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." - 2 Tim. 3:12
- " Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy." - 1 Pet 4:12-13
2. Christianity never has offered the absence of trial, tribulation, suffering. It instead offers you peace amidst even the death of the cros.
3. Men and women have suffered / died in battle for our nation; men and women suffer and die for our nation as police, firemen, etc. Those are noble causes. Not as true or as noble as suffering for Jesus Christ.
V. His Divine Glory.
- "To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne." (Revelation 3:21, NKJV)
- "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." (1 John 3:1-3, NKJV)
1. Bible says that one day I will get to see Jesus as He is at this present moment (glorified / reigning / Spiritual being). That will be reward enough.
2. BUT, Bible also promises that I have the opportunity NOT ONLY to see Him as He is, but to be like Him. Oh to be like Him!
(1) You can think of people here on earth you would “like to be like” can’t you?
· “I reckon that the sufferings of this present age are not worthy to be compared with the glory that shall be revealed.” (Rom. 8:18).
1. We (Christians) have a most noble name. "Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?" (James 2:7).
2. How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believers ear
It soothes his sorrow, heals his wounds, and drives away his fear.
It makes the wounded spirit whole, and calms the troubled breast;
What a blessing it is to be a partaker with Jesus Christ. (John Newton).
 Outline from Johnny Ramsey – Partakers With Christ. Adaptations and additions by Toby L. Soechting for preaching at Howe TX on Sunday, Sept. 30, 2007.