Are You Troubled By The War 2 Cor 10
Are You Troubled By The War?
1. Illustration - Quotations
(1) The most persistent sound which reverberates through men's history is the beating of war drums. ~Arthur Koestler, Janus: A Summing Up
(2) Never has there been a good war or a bad peace - Benjamin Franklin
(3) History teaches that war begins when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap. - Ronald Reagan
(4) We make war that we may live in peace. – Aristotle
2. How do you feel about the war? Are you troubled by the war? Don’t Answer Yet.
3. Surely men want peace. Right? Why then war?
(1) Someone says, “It’s because of capitalist pigs. Imperialist Americans!”
(2) Someone says, “It’s something with which we are born.”
(3) Someone says, “It’s religion’s fault.” Christian, Muslim, etc.
(4) Someone else says, “It’s because bad men do bad things.” Another = “Good men don’t do good things.”
4. It would be nice if we could put some sort of think tank together and develop an action plan to stop and even prevent wars. If only it was a disease, and doctors developed a vaccine.
(1) Even so, someone, somewhere would miss out on the vaccine…
(2) Even if, who would we trust with the vaccine?
(3) Reality = in a world where men / women are free moral agents –
A. They may choose and often will choose the wrong things.
B. They will even fight and perhaps war over what they think are the right or wrong things.
C. They will disagree. They will disagree on how to solve their disagreements.
D. They will make mistakes .They will do the right thing. They will sin.
5. Illustration: “The World At War – Current Conflicts”
6. Are you troubled by the war? Solomon said that there was a time for peace, but there is also an appropriate time for war? (Eccl. 3:8).
7. Are you troubled by the war? I’ve manipulated your thinking somewhat, but if you are thinking of earthly conflict, it is of concern, but not the focus of this lesson.
(1) 2 Cor. 10:3-5.
(2) Eph. 6:10-12
8. The wars of the world are significant and troubling, but there is a greater war raging round about us. Casualties of it are being damned to an eternal hell. Victors – eternal reward.
9. Let’s look more closely at the battle field – Read Rom. 6:1-13
DISCUSSION: The War Is Raging About Us --
I. We Must Have A Great Appreciation For Salvation.
1. Newness of life (Rom. 6:4)
(1) Kainos - “new regarding nature or quality” not new in time.
(2) Remember 1 Jn. 3:14 (passed from death to life)?
(3) If a Christian, you have died to sin, if not you are dead in sin.
2. New Cause (buried with Christ, and we have been raised with Christ).
(1) America is described in our anthem as “land of free and home of brave.”
(2) If it is true about America (and should be), it should be doubly so for church!
A. Americans stand on constitution, history, knowledge of right and wrong, fair.
B. Christians stand on promises of God! Faith built on nothing less than Jesus blood…
(3) Are you on the front lines fighting for salvation of others, defending your own? If not, WHY NOT? (Eph. 6:10)
A. 18 This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 1 Tim 1:18
B. Jude 3; 1 Cor. 16:13 (W, SF, B, S… L); Lk. 17:17 (Were not ten cleansed…)
(4) Are you singing, I am resolved no longer to linger…” but still lingering?
3. Brighter Future.
(1) Islam offers a host of virgins to their faithful soldiers.
(2) Christianity, offers you a home with God (Jn. 14:1-6)! Which would you choose? Sit at the feet of Heavenly Father and be a true child again OR spend eternity rutting around like a dog in heat?
(3) Isa. 55:9 – “For as high as the heavens are above the earth…
(4) I want to go home to God. Forever! Christ is the way.
II. We Must Be Aware Of The Consequences & Pervasive Nature Of Sin.
1. Sin is not subject for the funny papers, back page…
(1) Sin is front page news.
(2) Sin is a shameful act with eternal consequences. (Jer. 3:25. Isa. 59:1,2)
2. The wages of sin = death, and there’s gonna be a payday some day!
(1) Ezek. 18:20
(2) Rom. 6:16 pictures “sin leading to death.” It is a weary road. Dark path.
3. Jesus bore the consequence of your sin / my sin. Died that you might live.
(1) 24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness— by whose stripes you were healed. 1 Pet 2:24
(2) Once offered to bear the sins of many (Heb. 9:28).
4. Troubled by the war raging round about you? You should be, because it means that your sins will lead you to death, unless you find the forgiveness and newness of life available through Jesus Christ.
III. A Choice Is Being Made By You Even As I Speak.
1. Master (Rom. 6:16).
(1) Faithful living is no accident.
(2) You will have to choose! You will have to choose appropriately (Mt. 6:26)
(3) It is not a hard concept to absorb. GOD or Not God! Every page of Bible screams out “Choose God…Today…Before It’s Too Late!
2. Armor (Eph. 6:10).
(1) Earthly relationships, bank accounts, education, strong muscles, electronic gadgets… May deliver significant enjoyment… distraction…
(2) Before the wiles of devil… they will not defend you. Before the judgment bar of God… they will not defend you.
3. Purpose – life of righteousness? Life of what you think is right for you?
1. Wars and rumors of wars rage round about us. They trouble us, and rightly so, BUT only the devil would have us feel defeated or demoralized by them.
2. If you are a Christian, as the wars rage, you can rejoice that you have overcome the world and the sin therein. You may have desires for the day to day operation of this old earth, but in the end your desire is to dwell with God.
3. If you are not a Christian, the war is raging round about you.