A. How we are made.
1. It is not good for us to be alone. (Genesis 2:18)
2. God made us for relationship.
3. We have a desire to know and be known by other people. We have a desire for relationships.
1. A relationship is a connection between people.
B. Cause of Relationships
1. Proximity—being in the same places as another person.
!!!! a) Live in the same house.
b) Live on the same street.
c) Go to the same school.
d) Go to the same church.
e) Go to the same restaurant.
f) Play on same team.
!!! 2. Affinity—having the same interests as another person
!!!!! (1) Cheering
(2) Hunting & Fishing
(6) Sports Team
!!!! b) Creating Depth
(1) The more things you have in common, the deeper of a relationship you can have.
(2) When you have the most important things in common, the deeper of a relationship you can have.
C. Depth of relationships
1. Categories of Relastionships
a) People you know
(1) Live near each other, but don’t see each other all the time.
(2) Have a few things in common
(1) See each other more often.
(2) Have things in common.
c) Best friends
(1) See each other frequently
(2) Have many things in common
(1) See each other all the time
(2) Have a ton in common
2. Real Depth
a) Without sharing the most important and intimate things with another person, you will not have true depth.
b) The deeper the relationship, the more joy you have.
A. “Partnership in the Gospel”
a) Connection between people who believe the gospel.
b) Connection between people who have the same faith.
c) Connection between people who are filled with the Holy Spirit and follow Jesus.
2. True joy is found in relationships between people who are “partners in the gospel.”
B. :Affection of Christ”
a) Loving another person as Christ loved us.
(1) Christ gave up all the he had for us.
(2) Christ died for us.
2. What it looks like
a) Thanking God every time you think of the other person.
b) Praying for each other
3. People who are partners in the gospel love each other with the “affection of Christ.”
C. “Righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ”
a) Being pure and blameless before God.
2. How it is achieved
a) Comes through Jesus Christ
b) We are given his righteousness.
c) When God looks at us, it is as if he is looking at Jesus.
d) We have peace with God.
3. When we have the “righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ”, we are able to be “partners in the gospel” with other people.
4. True joy in relationships can only be achieved by believing in Jesus.
A. If true joy in relationships can only come from other people who believe in Jesus, should we only have relationships with those people? What is the point of relationships with people who don’t believe in Jesus?
1. To share the gospel with others so that they can have true joy as well.
B. What makes a relationship with a Christian different than a relationship with a non-Christian? What special things can you do?
1. Share most intimate things about yourself.
2. Encourage each other.
3. Understand each other.
4. Pray for each other like Paul prayed for Philippians.
3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you— 9And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. 8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.