Prayer Based on the Ten Commandments
Prayer Based on the Ten Commandments
1.Thou shall have no other Gods before Me.
Pray that God would be worshiped above all else in our land.
2.Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image.
Ask God to reveal our nation’s idolatry.
3.Thou shall not take the Name of the LORD thy GOD in vain.
Pray that the Lord’s name will be honored; ask God to bring a fresh conviction against profanity and depravity.
4.Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Pray that God’s people will set an example for this nation by honoring the Lord through a Sabbath rest.
5.Honor thy father and they mother.
Intercede that the family will be restored to its rightful place of honor and respect as God designed.
6.Thou shall not kill.
Pray that the culture of death would be broken; pray for a culture of life to reign.
7.Thou shall not commit adultery.
Intercede for marriages in this land; ask God to restore the sanctity of the marriage bond.
8.Thou shall not steal.
Pray that personal property would be respected; that both personal and governmental theft would end. Pray that Christians would honor the Lord with their time and not steal from those who employee them.
9.Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Intercede for a day when integrity and concern for our fellow man would cause us to honor our neighbors. Pray that we would learn to speak only the truth.
10.Thou shall not covet.
Ask God to help us to be satisfied and content with what He provides and not envy those who have more. Pray that men and women would discover their true purpose and contentment in serving the Lord.
Exodus 20:3-17 (KJV)
(Prepared by P & R Schenck Associates in Evangelism, Washington D. C.)
! Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Children
- Salvation. “Lord let salvation spring up within my children, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory”
“You heavens above, rain down righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness grow with it; I, the LORD, have created it.” Isaiah 45:8 (NIV)
“Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.” 2 Timothy 2:10
2. Growth in grace. “I pray that my children may grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18)
3. Love. “Grant, Lord, that my children may learn to live a life of love, through the Spirit who dwells in them”
“Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25
“Live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:2
4. Honesty and integrity. “May integrity and honesty be their virtue and their protection.”
“May integrity and uprightness protect me; because my hope is in you.” Psalm 25:21
5. Self-control. “Father, help my children not to be like many others around them, but let them be alert and self-controlled in all they do”
“So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.” I Thessalonians 5:6
6. Love for God’s Word. “May my children grow to find Your Word more precious than much pure gold and sweeter than honey from the comb”
“The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.” Psalm 19:9-10
7. Justice. “God, help my children to love justice as You do and act justly in all they do”
“For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face.” Psalm 11:7
“He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8
8. Mercy. “May my children always be merciful, just as their heavenly Father is merciful”
“Be merciful just as your Father is merciful” Luke 6: 36
9. Respect (for self, others, authority). “Father, grant that my children may show proper respect to everyone, as our Word commands”
“Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.” I Peter 2:17
10. Biblical self-esteem. “Help my children develop a strong self-esteem that is rooted in the realization that they are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus”
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
11. Faithfulness. “Let love and faithfulness never leave my children, but bind these virtues around their necks and write them on the tablet of their hearts”
“Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.” Proverbs 3:3
12. Courage. “May my children always be strong and courageous in their character and in their actions”
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
13. Purity. “Create in them a pure heart, O God, and let that purity of heart be shown in their actions.”
“Create in me a pure heart, O god, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Psalms 51:10
14. Kindness. “Lord, may my children always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else”
“Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.” I Thessalonians 5:15
15. Generosity. “Grant that my children may be generous and willing to share, and so lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age”
“Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that if truly life.” I Timothy 6:1819
16. Peace-loving. “Father, let my children make every effort to do what leads to peace”
“Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.” Romans 14:19
17. Joy. “May my children be filled with the joy given by the holy Spirit”
“You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.” I Thessalonians 1:6
18. Perseverance. “Lord, teach my children perseverance in all they do, and help them especially to run with perseverance the race marked out for them”
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews12:1
19. Humility. “God, please cultivate in my children the ability to show true humility toward all”
“Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.” Titus 3:1-2
20. Compassion. “Lord, please clothe my children with virtue of compassion”
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12
21. Responsibility. “Grant that my children may learn responsibility, for each one should carry his own load.”
“for each one should carry his own load” Galatians 6:5
22. Contentment. “Father, teach my children the secret of being content in any and every situation, through Him who gives them strength”
“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:12-13
23. Faith. “I pray that faith will find root and grow in my children’s hearts, that by faith they may gain what has been promised to them.”
“He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard see, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.” Luke 17:6
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1 (See also the entire chapter)
24. A servant’s heart. “God, please help y children develop servants’ hearts, that they may serve wholeheartedly, as if they were serving the Lord, not men”.
“Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does whether he is slave or free.” Ephesians 6:7
25. Hope. “May the God of hope grant that my children may overflow with hope and hopefulness by the power of the Holy Spirit”
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you ay overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
26. Willingness and ability to work. “Teach my children, Lord, to value work and to work at it with all their heart, as working for the Lord, not for men”
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men” Colossians 3:23
27. Passion for God. “Lord, please instill in my children a soul that ‘followeth hard after thee and one that clings passionately to you.”
“My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.” Psalms 63:8
28. Self-discipline. “Father, I pray that my children may acquire a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair”
“acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair” Proverbs 1:3
29. Prayerfulness. “Grant, Lord, that my children’s lives may be marked by prayerfulness, that they may learn to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests”
“Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints” Ephesians 6:18
30. Gratitude. “Help my children to live lives that are always overflowing with thankfulness and always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ”
“always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 5:20
“rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.” Colossians 2:7
31. A heart for missions. “Lord, please help my children to develop a desire to see your glory declared among the nations, your marvelous deeds among all peoples”
“Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples” Psalms 96: 3
By Bob Hostetler Excerpted from Pray! Issue #4 compliments of Pray!
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all me; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. I Timothy 2:1-8
The first Duty of the Church: Prayer
Pray for all men
By supplication –prayers that focus on special needs in intense and deep brokenness before God in behalf of others
By prayers – special times of prayer set aside to worship God and pray for others
By intercession –bold praying, standing before God on behalf of others
By thanksgiving – thank God for hearing and answering
Pray for civil authorities
That we may lead quiet & peaceable lives
That we may lead godly & honest lives
Pray for all men to be saved
God is our Savior and wills for all men to be saved
There is only one God, not many gods of men
There is only one Mediator who can save us
Christ is the ransom for all
Pray everywhere & pray in the right spirit
Pray “lifting up holy hands” means do not pray with unconfessed sin in your life
Pray without anger or feelings in your heart against someone else
Pray without doubting
Prayer is the gateway to the power of God.
Pray to the Father in Heaven
This, then, is how you should pray: “Our Father in heaven” Matthew 6:9
Pray in Jesus Name
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. I Timothy 2:5
And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:13-14
The Holy Spirit helps us when we pray
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the spirit himself intercedes for us Romans 8:26
Praise and honor God in your prayer
Hallowed be your name Matthew 6:9
Pray in God’s will with confidence
Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Matthew 6:10
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us – whatever we ask –we know that we have what we asked of him. I John 5:13-15
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16
Effectual –“the effect produced in the praying person bringing him into line with the will of God” Praying in the will of God means being conformed to the will of God.
Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. Psalm 4:1
So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. I Peter 4:19
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
But he knows the way that I take when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. Job 24:13
Pray in agreement.
They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers. Acts 1:14
“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18: 19-29
Do not use vain repetition.
“And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” Matthew 6:7
Confess your sin.
Ask God to bring to your mind any sin or sins that you have not confessed and be specific in your confession to Him.
Divided motives – ego self fulfillment, self satisfaction, self worth
Unforgiveness, hatred, bitterness
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. Psalm 66:18
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. I Peter 3:12
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:1-2
Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Matthew 6:12
Pray without ceasing I Thessalonians 5:17
Specific things to pray for.
Forgiveness as we forgive others
Deliverance from evil, and not to be lead into temptation
Romans 10:1 Pray for the lost to be saved
James 1:5 Pray for spiritual wisdom
James 5:16 Pray for the sick
Psalms 139:23,24 Pray for God to show you your sin
Suggested guidelines for praying in a group.
1. Pray subject by subject. (the lost, the government, the church leaders, the sick, etc.)
2. Pray short specific prayers (rather than save the lost, pray Lord save Moses)
3. Pray simple prayers (God already knows your heart)
4. Pray specific requests.
5. Allow time for silent periods as the Spirit leads; do not feel that someone always has to be praying out loud.
6. Pray in small groups
7. As one person prays out loud, the others in the group pray silently in agreement for the same requests.