sf991 - A Biblical Basis For A Sacred Assembly
Often in the Old Testament the leaders called the people together in an assembly (sacred assembly).
What is the Motive?
A Sacred Assembly is a time of corporate repentance, prayer, worship, and encouragement.
Under Moses (Exodus 33:7)
Under Samuel (1 Samuel 7:5-6)
Under Asa (2 Chronicles 15:9-15)
Under Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 20:3-13)
Under Nehemiah (Nehemiah 8:1-12)
Under Joel (Joel 1:13-20; 2:12-17)
May the Lord make us desperate for Him.
Ingredients of a Sacred Assembly:
1. Seeking God
2. Public and private confession
3. Public and private repentance
4. Scripture reading
1. Make every effort go attend and stay for the entire time.
2. Fast, no food. Fasting does not manipulate God, it is our denying self putting seeking God before food.
3. List things to seek the Lord for.
4. Pray for others to experience God prior to Sunday.
5. Develop a sensitivity to the corporate sins of our church and nation.