The Wise and Foolish Builders
The Wise Man & The Foolish Man
Matthew 7:24 -27
Introduction: Coming as it does at the end of this great sermon, we need to view it as encompassing all of the things Jesus had just said (“...these words of mine.”) Jesus does not give us the option of choosing those parts that appeal to us and leaving the rest alone!
I. The Point of the Parable
A. Not a difference in opportunity – both hear the same words!
B. Not a difference in ability - both start out equal!
C. Not a difference in the houses!
D. Not a difference in the trials!
E. The difference is in the foundation!
1. The wise man is portrayed as building on rock (cf. Luke 6:48).
2. The foolish man builds upon sand!
3. The houses may well have looked alike on the outside, for the foundation does not show.
F. When it comes to building a life, let us remember, “Other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 3:1l).
II. Building on Jesus’ Teachings (Proverbs 9:l – the seven pillars).
1. Theme of Ecclesiastes - “I have everything to live with and nothing to live for.”
2. Ecclesiastes 12:13 - “Fear God, and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.”
3. Ephesians 3:21 — “Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end.” (Cf. 1 Corinthians 10:31)
1. 1 Corinthians 16:13 - “Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit ye like men.”
2. 1 Tim. l:7 - “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
1. 1 Tim. 5:22 - “Keep thyself pure.”
2. 1 Tim. 1:5 - “The end of the commandment is love out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.”
1. “That which gives, lives.” Illustrate: The Sea of Galilee vs. the Dead Sea.
2. Eph. 4:28 - “Let him that stole steal no more; but rather let him labor, working with his hand the thing that is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.”
E. Right Thinking
1. Proverbs 23:7 - “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.”
2. “A penny for your thoughts” is too cheap!
1. 2 Corinthians 5:7 - “We walk by faith, not by sight.”
2. Grounded on the word of God (Rom. 10:17).
1. 1 Corinthians 15:58 - “Wherefore, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, for as much as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord!”
Conclusion: James 1:22-25
1. Purpose, 2. Courage; 3. Purity; 4. Unselfishness; 5. Right Thinking; 6. Faith;