When you are lost, use GPS
1. Next week is father’s day. Father’s day is one of those holidays that you may be uncertain on what to get for that special person.
a. We have those lasting gifts: personalized plaque, sports memoribila, #1 dad cup.
b. Then we have those sounded good gifts: a grill belt, a tie, front page of the paper.
c. The hottest gift of the season: GPS.
2. Some benefits of having a GPS:
a. Helps you see where you are.
b. Helps you see where you need to go.
c. Tells you when you go the wrong way.
d. Tells you how to get back on track when you are lost.
3. Spiritually speaking, there is a GPS system that will show you the way when you are lost.
a. It’s called: God’s Plan of Salvation.
b. Our Lesson today is entitled: When you are lost, use GPS.
I. G.P.S. HAS BEEN REVEALED
A. The Bible tells us which direction to go – Colossians 3:1,2.
1. With a GPS system, you have a map of the entire US at your fingertips. The Bible is God’s Roadmap to heaven, and we have it at our fingertips.
2. "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."
B. The Bible tells us when to turn – Acts 26:20.
1. Many GPS systems speak to you and tell you where to turn. The Bible teaches us to turn to God.
2. “But declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.”
C. The Bible tells us what to avoid, 1 Corinthians 6:18; 1 Tim.6:11.
1. Some GPS models have traffic alerts. If a problem is up ahead, the unit will automatically reroute your path. The Bible alerts us and tells us how to stay on the best path.
2. "Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.”
3. "But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness."
D. The Bible tries to get you to turn around (1 Pet.3:11).
1. One review I read about a certain GPS unit said that after the unit told the driver to turn around 5 different times, it automatically said goodbye and shut down. God wants us to turn around, yet He gives us the choice to do so.
2. "Let him turn away from evil and do good; Let him seek peace and pursue it.”
E. The Bible has an ultimate destination in mind (Mt.7:21; Heb.12:1-2).
1. With a GPS you just type in the name of the restaurant, gas station, hotel, etc. and it will lead you step by step to your destination. The Bible will lead us to our ultimate destination.
2. "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
II. G.P.S. IS NEEDED
A. There is a great debate whether or not one should get a GPS.
1. Some are “DIRECTIONALLY CHALLENGED” and really need help getting where they need to be when they are driving.
2. However, not everyone thinks they need it: “We’re not lost,” or “I don’t need to stop and ask for directions.”
B. There is much debate on whether or not one should need the spiritual GPS.
1. Some would deny that anyone will be lost. (Universalists).
2. Some would say that a loving God would not allow anyone to be lost.
3. Some would say that once a person believes in God, it is impossible for them to be lost.
C. Without G.P.S. we WILL BE eternally lost.
1. These shall go away into everlasting destruction, Matthew 25:31-46.
2. He will take vengeance on those who do not obey, 2 Thess 1:7-9; Revelation 21:8.
D. Because of sin, all are lost. With G.P.S. however, we can be saved.
1. Because of sin, Romans 6:23.
2. Because of their OWN CHOICES. (Not because of inherited sin from another i.e., (parents or Adam).
E. People ARE lost and in need of GPS.
III. G.P.S. PROVIDES THE RIGHT DIRECTIONS
A. As with any electronic, there will always be glitches.
1. It is very possible that you will not always have the best directions.
2. Such is not the case with the Bible.
B. We have the treasure map (if you will) to heaven.
1. While man may teach many ways to heaven, the Bible teaches only one (Jn.14:6).
2. Our salvation is in Jesus (Ac.4:12).
C. Jesus is our guide, and we must follow His instructions.
1. Believe – Jn 8:24
2. Repent – Lk.13:3
3. Confess – Mt.10:32
4. Baptism – Mk.16:16
D. God has always expected obedience to His GPS
IV. G.P.S. MUST NOT BE NEGLECTED
A. What good would it be to have a GPS in your car if you never turned it on, or if you thought you knew a better way?
1. There is only one way.
2. The best route is to obey God like they did in the Bible, i.e. right now.
B. What good would it do to know the truth and not obey it?
1. “How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?” Hebrews 2:3.
2. Answer: WE WON’T.
1. Are you on the right track today, or have you neglected God’s Plan of Salvation?
2. Have you followed G.P.S.?
3. Why not obey it today?