(08-09-14) Building the Church - Isaiah 44.6-8; 1 Corinthians 3.10-15
Title – Isaiah 44:6-8; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15
· Images of the Church in the NT
o bride, body, household, building
· 2 points from the image of buildings
o building on the right foundation
o building with skill and good materials
· Foundations are specific to the planned building
o the right dimensions, strength, depth
· You couldn’t build a skyscraper on the foundations for a shed...
o the foundation wouldn’t support the structure...
· Building the Church on anything other than Jesus doesn’t work
o Jesus is God’s ‘rock’, hinted in Isaiah
o the building won’t be able to perform its purpose
§ the worship of God
§ Jesus the Way to the Father
· “on this rock...” (Matthew 16:18)
· Building with skill and using the right tools
o quality of a building is tested over time by severe conditions
§ fire, flood, wind, earthquake
o with the foundations right, what is our job?
§ how will we be tested?
· Building up the Church
o building a temple
§ a worshipping community – ‘living stones’ (1 Peter 2:4-5)
· loving God with heart, soul, mind and strength
· loving our neighbour as ourselves
§ a community that helps one another to do these things
§ a community that does them together
o skills and materials
§ love of God
§ love of one another
· Might be able to make it look right...
o makeover programmes!
· Testing – strange sounding verse (15)
o only perfect, holy things (characteristics) will be found in the new heaven and new earth
§ the refiner’s fire will test us at the resurrection
· removing all that is not holy
· giving us our resurrected selves
§ “Store up treasures in heaven...” (Matthew 6:20)
· asking God to grow our love and our character