Victory through Prayer # 3
We’re going to continue teaching on the subject of “VICTORY THROUGH PRAYER.” A few weeks ago I had you turn to Romans chapter 8. I just want to go back there so that we all get a good foundation of what were talking about.
I) Look at Romans 8:26-27.
A) As we said last time these two Vs. are talking about intercession.
1) In verse 26 where it says, “THE SPIRIT ALSO HELPETH OUR INFIRMITIES” the Word “HELPETH” literally means, “TO TAKE HOLD TOGETHER WITH AGAINST.”
a) In other words the Holy Spirit takes hold together with us AGAINST THE POWERS OF DARKNESS.
2) The HOLY SPIRIT HOOKS UP WITH US enabling to pray in the Spirit with intercession.
a) Keep your finger there in Romans and turn with me over to 1ST CORINTHIANS 14:2.
(i) Paul likens “PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT” to “SPEAKING IN TONGUES.”
b) Now go down to 1st Corinthians 14:14-15.
(i) Paul clearly says in (verse 14) that the prayer he’s talking about is PRAYING IN TONGUES.
3) In (verse 15) Paul says, “I WILL PRAYER WITH THE SPIRIT.”
a) The word “WITH” in that verse is not really there in the Greek; the translators added it to try to bring clarity.
(i) But the word “WITH” can be just as well translated “IN,” which other translations do.
(ii) The AMPLIFIED BIBLE translates it. “I WILL PRAY WITH MY SPIRIT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT IS WITHIN ME.”
(iii) When we pray in tongues and when we enter into intercession the Holy Spirit hooks up with us to pray.
B) WHY IS THE HOLY SPIRIT SO WILLING TO HOOK UP TOGETHER WITH US?
1) Back in (Romans 8:26-27) it says that many times we don't know how to pray as we ought, but when we're praying in the Spirit we're praying according to the perfect will of God.
C) The Holy Spirit hooks up with us so readily because we’re NOT PRAYING according to our own will but ACCORDING TO THE PERFECT WILL OF GOD.
1) But the Bible also tells us in (JUDE 1:20) when we pray in the Holy Ghost we are building up ourselves.
a) The KJV quotes it this, “But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.” (JUDE 1:20)
b) If you want to be built up, edified, and strengthened you need to pray in the Holy Ghost.
2) Another important aspect of praying in the Holy Ghost or in the Spirit is that you’re doing battle in the spirit.
II) Many times when we pray and the answer doesn’t come soon, we feel that God hasn’t heard us, or that He just doesn’t bring the answer.
A) The answer doesn’t always come immediately.
1) Daniel had the same problem. The answer was sent immediately, but because of the spiritual battle the answer was delayed.
2) Sometimes when we pray, the answer doesn’t get through instantly.
a) That doesn’t mean that God doesn’t hear us or hasn’t sent the answer.
B) Turn with me to 1JOHN 5:14.
1) Notice in (verse 14) he says, “IF WE ASK ANYTHING ACCORDING TO HIS WILL.”
a) If we want God to hear us and to answer our prayers we have to pray according to His will.
(i) That’s why it’s important to read the Word of God, so that you’ll know His will.
2) But there is one way to pray the Will of God without ever knowing God’s will.
a) We read it in (Romans 8:27), which tells us, when we pray in the Spirit (tongues) we are praying according to the perfect will of God.
C) Look at JOHN 5:14-15 again.
1) When we pray in ENGLISH according to the Will of God or when we PRAY IN THE SPIRIT, GOD does HEAR US and He does send the ANSWER, but many times it DOESN’T GET THROUGH immediately.
a) Daniel had that problem when a powerful evil spirit did battle against the angel of God to stop the answer from getting through.
b) (Ephesians 6:12) says, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but we do wrestle against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
(i) There is a spiritual battle going on.
c) That’s why we can’t give up when the attacks of the enemy come in, like DEPRESSION, FINANCIAL PROBLEMS, SICKNESS, and ATTACKS AGAINST YOUR CHILDREN, just to name a few.
(i) You have to keep doing battle in the Spirit to overcome these attacks and to gain the victory.
d) If you give up Satan will gain a STRONGHOLD in your life and that stronghold will turn into BONDAGE and that bondage into DEFEAT.
D) Turn with me to 2COR 10:4.
1) The NIV translation says, “The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power TO DEMOLISH STRONGHOLDS.”
2) Paul used the most powerful weapons that exist and they are PRAYER, FAITH and THE WORD OF GOD.
3) That’s why Paul said in the next verse, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God.”
a) We can’t side in with the enemy with thoughts of defeat, failure and giving up; we have to continue to do battle in the Spirit.
b) And when we do we will DEMOLISH THE ENEMIES STRONGHOLDS.
4) In (Matthew 17) the disciples could not get rid of an evil Spirit that was tormenting a boy.
a) After the boy was brought to Jesus and delivered, the disciples asked Jesus why they could not cast out the Spirit.
(i) 1st Jesus said it was because of their unbelief, but then he added that this kind of Spirit only goes out by prayer and fasting.
b) FAITH, PRAYER AND INTERCESSION along WITH THE WORD OF GOD are going to be necessary for you to walk in absolute victory.
(i) We need to use prayer to drive out the enemy.
III) Now how are we supposed to pray?
A) That all depends on the situation, what the problem is.
1) But the FIRST RULE to prayer is to PRAY IN FAITH.
2) Look at James 1:6-8. (Asking is prayer.)
a) That’s why we need to cast down every thought and imagination that is against the Word of God, which is the opposite of faith.
b) And we need to start believing God’s Word and praying according to His Word.
IV) Before we go on I want to look at some SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES OF INTERCESSION. Turn with me to GEN 18:16.
A) In this chapter the Lord appeared with 3 angels (GEN 18:1).
1) Something that the Lord said in Genesis 18:17-18 blessed me. (Read it)
2) The Lord was going to reveal to Abraham what was going to happen to Sodom and Gomorrah that He wasn’t going to reveal to the rest of the world.
a) Because Abraham was committed to God and that he would commission his children and his household to follow after the Lord, and as (James 2:23) puts it, he was a friend of God, God was going to reveal it to him.
(i) I want God to be able to trust me and reveal things to me.
B) Lets go on reading with GEN 18:20-22.
1) In (GEN 18:22) it says, “And went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.”
a) THIS IS THE ROLE OF AN INTERCESSOR, TO STAND BETWEEN THE LORD AND ANOTHER SITUATION.
(i) What Abraham began to do was to plead the case of another. And that is a powerful position.
2) Let’s look at what happened. Genesis 18:23-33.
a) Unfortunately there were not 10 righteous in the city, but the Lord still spared the righteous.
V) Now turn with me to Exodus 32.
A) In this story Moses was up on the mountain with God where he just receive the tablets of stone written with the finger of God.
1) Moses was upon the mountain for some time and the people began to think that Moses was not going to return. That’s when they began to make the golden calf.
B) Let’s pick up the story here with Exodus 32:7-10.
1) Because of their wickedness, God refused to even call them HIS PEOPLE and he would not even take credit for delivering them out of Egypt.
a) In (verse 7) the Lord said to Moses that they’re your people, which you brought out Egypt.
2) But look what Moses said to God in Exodus 32:11. (Thy people which you brought out of Egypt).
C) Let’s go on reading with Exodus 32:12-14.
1) Again we see someone standing in the gap between the Lord and another.
a) Moses began to plead his case before the Lord for the children of Israel. And the Lord honored that intercession.
(i) It says in (verse 14) that the Lord repented of the evil, which he thought to do unto his people.
b) Sometimes we have a hard time with the phrase “THE LORD REPENTED OF THE EVIL.”
c) Let me give you a definition from the Hebrew of the words that are used here.
2) First the Word “REPENTED” here means, “TO BE SORRY, BE MOVED WITH PITY, OR HAD COMPASSION.”
a) The Lord had compassion on the people and felt sorry for them.
3) The word “EVIL” doesn’t mean SIN, but it means “HURT OR HARM.”
a) Because of Moses’ intercession the people were spared the judgment and penalty of sin.
D) Can you see how important intercession is? We need to PRAY AND INTERCEDE FOR OUR CHILDREN. Intercession can change the entire direction someone is going.
1) Now sometimes people will question this verse and say that it sounds like the LORD CHANGED HIS MIND, and in (Malachi 3:6) It says, “I am the Lord thy change not.”
2) Let me give you a further definition of the word “REPENTED” in (verse 14).
a) It also means, “RELIEVED OR COMFORTED.” THE LORD WAS RELIEVED AND COMFORTED that HE DID NOT HAVE TO CARRY OUT THE JUDGMENT OF SIN.
VI) In (Numbers chapter 12) Moses interceded for Miriam’s healing.
A) In (Deuteronomy 9:25) Moses again interceded for Israel.
1) Israel is a TYPE OF THE CHURCH. You need to pray and INTERCEDE FOR THIS CHURCH and for the body of Christ.
B) In (1st Chronicles 21:16) DAVID BEGAN TO SEE SOMETHING IN THE SPIRIT. He saw the angel of the Lord standing over Jerusalem with his sword drawn in his hand, ready to destroy Jerusalem, but David interceded for Jerusalem and the city was spared.
1) What I wanted you to see about that verse is that sometimes INTERCESSORS WILL SEE SOMETHING IN THE SPIRIT.
a) When you do, it means pray and intercede. Don’t worry about what it means. Don’t go around talking about what you saw. The Lord gave you all that you need to know and he wants you to pray.
C) There’s so many references to intercession that we can’t go into them all, but in (Psalms 20) THE PEOPLE PRAYED AND INTERCEDED FOR VICTORY and the king received assurance that the victory was there’s.
VII) Turn to Ezekiel 22:30.
A) STANDING IN THE GAP is the role of an intercessor and an intercessor can stop destruction or problems even before they began.
1) The Word “HEDGE” in this verse refers TO WALL OF PROTECTION.
a) You can pray and intercede; building up THAT WALL OF PROTECTION that will keep the enemy out.
b) There is power in intercession and if you want to see VICTORY IN YOUR LIFE, in your CHILDREN, in your SPOUSE, in your CHURCH, in your SITUATION and in our NATION you have to PRESS IN AND INTERCEDE.
VIII) It’s been said many times that God cannot do anything on this earth, unless a man asks.
1) We need to start asking.
2) Pray that the Will of the Father would be done here on earth as it is in heaven.
a) Pray that God would begin to move and manifest himself.
b) Pray for rain of the HS, the latter and former rain.
3) When God comes on the seen and begins to manifest himself, darkness flees.
a) As you begin to pray and intercede you’re going to see Satan’s kingdom begin to be defeated in your life and victory will begin to manifest, but we’re going to have to pray.
WOLCC SUN 6/28/92 and Sunday, June 14, 1998, June 21, 1998 this message was taken from a sermon called Intercede.Doc. And July 5, 1998 different things were added to this Doc. this message was not preached unto Sunday July 19, 1998.