Victory through Prayer # 2
We’re going to continue our teaching on the subject of “ABSOLUTE VICTORY.” Last week we were teaching on “VICTORY THROUGH PRAYER.” Today we’re going to continue teaching along those same lines.
I) Last time I read to you (ROMANS 15:4) which says that the OLD TESTAMENT was WRITTEN FOR OUR LEARNING. We also found out from (HEBREWS 10:1) that the OLD TESTAMENT CONTAINS TYPES AND SHADOWS of what pertains to us today.
A) The LAND that was promised to the Israelites is a TYPE of the PROMISES OF GOD that belong to us.
1) What is the land that belongs to us today?
a) It would be HEALING, PROSPERITY, DELIVERANCE, SOUNDNESS OF MIND, FREEDOM FROM BONDAGES, AND VICTORY.
B) The INHABITANTS IN THE LAND, which was promised to Israel, are a TYPE AND SHADOW OF THE PRINCIPALITIES AND POWERS that we do BATTLE AGAINST.
1) (Ephesians 6:12) says, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
a) Our battles are not against people, but it’s against Satan and his demonic host.
2) Let’s turn over to Ephesians 6:12-18.
a) Notice that one of the most powerful weapons that we have against the enemy is found in (verse 18), which says, “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit.”
(i) The NIV translation says, “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.”
b) Notice that both of these translations say “PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT.”
c) And both of these translations also reveal to us that there is MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF PRAYER.
3) What we’re going to be looking at today is PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT WITH INTERCESSION.
C) According to (Numbers 33:55), if we do not drive out the inhabitants in the land (for us that would be the demonic forces) they will VEX you or HARASS YOU and BRING YOU INTO BONDAGE.
1) Now turn with me to Daniel 10:2-3.
a) The Word “MOURNING” in (verse 2) can also be translated “WEEP.”
b) But WEEPING can also refer to PRAYER and even more specifically INTERCESSION.
2) We know that he’s TALKING ABOUT PRAYER AND INTERCESSION in this verse because of what’s found in VERSE 12. (Read it Daniel 10:12).
a) Jesus said in (Luke 6:21) “Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.”
(i) This weeping has to do with intercession and through intercession our weeping will be turned into joy.
(ii) This JOY refers to the ANSWER to our prayer.
3) Turn with me to JOHN 16:20.
a) Again the Word “WEEP” and the Word “LAMENT” refers to “PRAYER, INTERCESSION, AND TRAVAIL.”
b) Let’s go on to VERSE 21.
(i) When we go into PRAYER, INTERCESSION, and TRAVAIL that WEEPING AND ANGUISH will be TURNED INTO JOY because the thing that we’ve been praying for will be BIRTHED INTO EXISTENCE.
II) Now turn with me over to ROM 8:22-23.
A) In (V 23) it tells us that ALL OF US who have the Spirit can ENTER INTO GROANINGS, INTERCESSION and TRAVAILING.
1) Let’s go down to V 26-27. (This is still talking about the same thing, INTERCESSION.)
a) 1st we see that the H.S. HELPS US TO PRAY for the things that we know not, and he also helps us to pray when we run out of words in English.
b) The word “HELPETH” in (V 26) does not do justice to what the Greek says.
(i) The Greek says it means “TO TAKE HOLD TOGETHER WITH AGAINST.”
(ii) The H.S. takes hold with us AGAINST THE POWERS OF DARKNESS.
B) Some have MISUNDERSTOOD the phrase in (VERSE 26) which says, “GROANINGS WHICH CANNOT BE UTTERED.”
1) THE THEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY OF NEW TESTAMENT WORDS says that this phrase means, “THE SPIRIT SIGHS IN HIS INTERCESSION FOR US, WHICH CANNOT BE EXPRESSED OR GRASPED IN HUMAN WORDS, BUT WHICH GOD UNDERSTANDS.”
a) This verse does not say that the Holy Spirit will pray apart from us, but it does say that the HOLY SPIRIT WILL HELP US PRAY IN GROANINGS OR SOUNDS THAT CANNOT BE EXPRESSED IN HUMAN WORDS, but God understands.
(i) That sounds very SIMILAR to (1st Corinthians 14:14) which says, “For if I pray in unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.”
(ii) And in (1st Corinthians 14:2) it says, “For he that speaketh in unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God.”
2) Look at Romans 8:27.
a) This verse is still talking about us PRAYING IN TONGUES or PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT with the help of the Holy Spirit; and when we do we’re praying according to THE PERFECT WILL OF GOD.
C) In the one chapter book written by JUDE we’re told in verse 20 to BUILD UP OURSELVES BY PRAYING IN THE HOLY GHOST.
1) If you want to be built up, edified, and strengthened you need to pray in the Holy Ghost.
2) When we begin to PRAY IN THE HOLY GHOST we are DOING BATTLE IN THE SPIRIT and praying in the perfect will God.
III) Turn back with me to DAN 10:10‑13.
A) Notice that the angel was not sent from heaven to Daniel with the message UNTIL DANIEL PRAYED.
1) God sent the message on the 1st day. But the answer was 21 days in getting there.
a) Sometimes when we pray, the answer doesn’t get through instantly.
b) That doesn’t mean that God doesn’t hear us or hasn’t sent the answer.
(i) Keep your finger there in Daniel, and turn with me to 1JOHN 5:14‑15.
c) When we pray GOD does HEAR US and He does send the ANSWER, but many times it DOESN’T GET THROUGH.
2) Daniel 10:13 EXPLAINS WHY, so let’s read it.
a) This is not talking about a physical person.
b) It’s talking about an angel of God and the evil spirit that he had to do battle against.
3) In the story this evil spirit, called the prince of Persia, didn’t want the angel to get through with the answer to Daniel’s prayers.
a) When the prince of Persia withstood the angel, God sent another angel, and finally, on the 21st day, he got through to Daniel with the message.
B) 2COR 10:4.
1) I like how the NIV translates this verse, it says, “The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.”
2) We do have weapons, but our weapons are not carnal, but they are mighty through God which will DEMOLISH STRONGHOLDS.
a) WHAT ARE OUR WEAPONS?
b) 1st we have the WORD OF GOD. We can use that weapon against the evil forces that we’re dealing with.
c) 2nd we have PRAYER AND INTERCESSION. This weapon of prayer needs to be used to drive out the wicked spirits we come in contact with.
(i) We have a scriptural reference to that in (Matthew 17) where the disciples could not get rid of an evil Spirit that was tormenting a boy.
(ii) After the boy was brought to Jesus and delivered, the disciples asked Jesus why they could not cast out the Spirit.
(iii) 1st Jesus said it was because of their unbelief, but then he added that this kind of Spirit only goes out by prayer and fasting.
(iv) Faith, prayer and intercession are going to be necessary for you to walk in absolute victory.
(v) We need to use prayer to drive out the enemy.
C) Now how are we supposed to pray?
1) That all depends on the situation, what the problem is.
2) It’s been said many times that God cannot do anything on this earth, unless a man asks.
a) We need to start asking.
b) Pray that the Will of the Father would be done here on earth as it is in heaven.
c) Pray that God would begin to move and manifest himself.
d) Pray for rain of the HS, the latter and former rain.
3) When God comes on the seen and begins to manifest himself, darkness flees.
a) When the light comes on the darkness goes.
b) As you begin to pray and intercede you’re going to see Satan’s kingdom begin to be defeated in your life and victory will begin to manifest, but we’re going to have to pray. You’re the key.
WOLCC SUN 6/28/92 and Sunday, June 14, 1998 this message was taken from a sermon called Intercede.Doc.