Understanding the Anointing pt 9
We’re still on the subject of “Paying the Price for the Anointing.”
I) Last week we had everybody turn to ISA 55:1 so let’s turn there again.
A) Water is a representation of the Holy Ghost.
1) If you’re thirsty for the anointing of the Holy Ghost, you must go to the WATER and BUY.
(a) But the word “BUY” does not refer to “MONEY.” But there still has to be an exchange.
(i) You have to exchange 1 thing to get another.
(ii) If you thirst for the anointing of God bad enough you’re going to give up some of your time; it might be time watching TV, spending time with your friends or giving up some of your time that you spend on your hobby; and spend it with the Lord.
(iii) When you do you’re going to see the power of God beginning to work in your life, in your family, in your body and in your adverse situations.
(b) To whatever degree you’re willing to spend time with the Lord, on a daily basis, is the same degree that the anointing will increase.
B) Once you’re willing to pay the price (Zechariah 10:1) Says, “Ask ye of the LORD rain in the time of the latter rain; so the LORD shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.” KJV
1) RAIN just as it is WATER refers to the Holy Ghost.
(a) Zechariah says, you have to ask for it.
(b) Once you’ve pressed into the things of God and spent time in His presence, you have to ask for the anointing. (You have not, because you ask not.) (JAMES 4:2)
C) Now that you’ve asked, you need to stir up the anointing.
1) You stir it up by giving THANKSGIVING, PRAISE and TESTIMONY.
(a) You THANK Him and PRAISE him not only for the things that He has done, but also for the thinks that HE WILL DO, things that you are believing Him for.
2) But by giving TESTIMONY of what the Lord has done is also going to stir up the anointing.
(a) (Psalm 77:10-11) Says, “And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High. (11) I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.” KJV
(b) By you remembering what the Lord has done for you in the past, stirs that boldness and that power on the inside. What you’re doing is stirring up that anointing.
(i) Be like David when he said, “I have killed the lion and the bear, Who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?
(c) Testimonies of what the Lord has done for you is going to stir up the anointing to give you victory in your current situation.
(i) (Revelation 12:11) Says, “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.” KJV
II) Turn with me to MATT 17:19-20.
A) From these 2 Vs we can see that faith as a lot to do with casting out demons.
1) But look at V 21.
(a) “HOWBEIT” or “BUT” Jesus was giving specific instructions on how to deal with this demon.
(i) I don’t believe that this demon was any different than all the rest.
2) 1 of the most power and effective ways a believer can pay the price for the anointing is through FASTING and PRAYER.
B) 1 Thing that we have to remember is that Fasting does not move of change God.
1) It moves you and it changes you.
2) God does not benefit by you fasting. You will.
(a) But fasting alone is not enough, many people fast, either through a diet or to clean out their digestive system.
(b) But when you put PRAYER together with your fast something fantastic happens. The power and anointing of God begins to flow.
3) Look at Psa 69:10
(a) When the word “CHASTEN” is used in the word of God it means “To give direction and to lead in the right path.”
(i) Fasting helps you to find God’s direction, His PLAN and His path.
(ii) Whenever you find God’s PLAN, you have the anointing of God to go with it.
C) David said in (Psalm 35:13) “I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.” KJV
1) Remember we said that HUMILITY or the act of being HUMBLE is a prerequisite for the anointing.
2) When you fast you humble your soul, but when you put prayer with it, your prayers will come back full of answers and victory, BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE ANOINTING, the power to get results.
III) Turn with me to EZRA 8:21-22
A) The Jews were about to return to Jerusalem after years of exile in Babylon.
1) When they were about to be attacked they could not go back to the king of Babylon to ask for help because Ezra assured him that God would take care of them.
(a) What were they to do?
2) Ezra proclaimed a fast.
3) Look what happened in EZRA 8:31
(a) The hand of the God, which is used in this V, is symbolic of God’s power and His anointing.
(i) They got result and victory because of the power and anointing that came into their lives through fasting and praying.
B) In the book of Joel the inhabitants of Judah were once again in trouble.
1) They needed the anointing to bring victory, so they paid the price. They brought everyone together to fast and pray.
2) JOEL 2:12-13, 15, 18-19, 23
(a) In response to their fast God gave them a promise – RAIN.
(b) Again RAIN is symbolic of the anointing.
3) In this RAIN or ANOINTING, God was guaranteeing them the power to overcome the problem that they were facing.
(a) The next 6 or 7 Vs describe how they would be blessed, But I want you to look at JOEL 2:25.
(i) Everything would be restored to them through this anointing to get results.
(b) But what was it that triggered this victory; what was it that caused them to tap into this anointing? It was FASTING and PRAYER.
C) You probably remember the story of Esther and her uncle Mordecai.
1) 1 of the king’s aides named Haman had a plan to kill Mordecai and all the Jews. So Esther called a fast.
(a) When she went in to see the king she found favor in his sight. (That’s part of the anointing.)
(b) Not only were the Jews delivered, but the gallows that were intended for Mordecai were used to execute Haman. And Mordecai was promoted.
2) When the anointing of God is upon you, the evil things that the enemy plans against you will come upon them.
D) Mordecai and Esther paid the price and because of it the anointing of God and the power of God operated in their lives.
1) If you’re going through something in your life in which you need direction, make a quality decision to PRAY, FAST, and TO SEEK THE LORD.
(a) When you do you’re guaranteed to receive the anointing and all the benefits that come with it.
WOLCC Sunday, August 23, 1997