Understanding the Anointing pt 10
We’re going to continue teaching on “FLOWING IN THE ANOINTING.”
I) One of the most important things that we need to understand is that we are anointed.
A) John said in (1 John 2:20), “But ye have an unction from the Holy One.”
1) The word “UNCTION” would be better translated “ANOINTING.”
(a) The NIV translation words it this way, “But you have an anointing from the Holy One.”
2) But John doesn’t end right there. He goes on to say in (1 John 2:27) “But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth (or dwells) in you.”
(a) Before you ever flow in the anointing of God to any degree you have to know that you are anointed.
B) Now there are some specific anointings where God only anoints certain ones to fulfill His purpose. The Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastors and Teacher would fall under that category, and there are others that are called and anointed for a certain job.
1) But we all have anointing for victory.
(a) (2 Corinthians 2:14) Says, “Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ.”
(b) (1 Corinthians 15:57) Says, “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” KJV
(i) We have an anointing for victory in our lives.
C) Quite often people get confused about the anointing and they ask is “What is the anointing?” Very simply, it is the power of God in operation in your live to bring victory to the situation at hand.
1) It’s God’s power, it’s the HS in operation, it’s God’s Grace, it’s His Ability, it’s His favor working in your life to cause you to overcome the obstacles and works of the enemy that you face.
II) Now that you know that you are anointed and that the anointing of God will work in your own personal life to bring you victory, HOW DO WE WALK IN THAT ANOINTING?
A) For the last few weeks we’ve been teaching on “PAYING THE PRICE FOR THE ANOINTING.”
1) The 1st thing that we mentioned is that “YOU NEED TO BE SITTING UNDER THE ANOINTED TEACHING and PREACHING OF THE WORD OF GOD.”
2) 2nd develop a PRAYER LIFE.
3) 3rd you need A FRESH INFILLING OF THE SPIRIT EVERY DAY.” And you do that by DAILY spending time with the Lord.
4) The 4th step was to REPENT from sin.
5) # 5 listen to the voice of the HS and follow his leadings.
6) # 6 don’t be flaky, but have some CONSISTENCY in your life. Do what God told you to do and stick with it.
(a) If you look throughout the Word of God, when someone was called by God to do something, they did it for many years. They didn’t jump around from 1 thing to another.
B) But if you really want the anointing of God in your life you have to go further than that.
1) If you thirst for that anointing bad enough, you will spend hours in fervent prayer, seeking God’s face, and you’ll press into the things of God.
(a) You’ll seek God for the anointing. Then you’ll begin to stir up the anointing by giving TESTIMONY OF WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE.
C) One of the most powerful tools that you have that will cause you to flow in the anointing is to fast and pray.
1) Fasting does not have to be for a long time. It’s better to live a fasted life. In other word don’t let the Flesh have control of your life. Let the spirit of God control your flesh.
III) GAL 5:16-17
A) If you want the anointing of God in your life you have to make a decision to “Walk in the Spirit.”
1) The opposite of walking in the spirit is “WALKING ACCORDING TO THE THINGS OF THE FLESH.”
2) Walking in the FLESH is going to severely hinder the anointing of God from flowing in you life.
B) Notice GAL 5:17 again
1) The Spirit, where the anointing comes from, is contrary to the flesh.
(a) In other words, they are going to try to stop each other.
(b) If the flesh wins out, it is going to stop the spirit and the anointing from flowing in your life.
2) It is so important that we walk in holiness.
(a) If we want the anointing of God, we have to crucify the flesh with its lusts and cravings, and put Jesus on the throne of your heart.
3) In (V 19) Paul begins to give a list of the works of the flesh. I’m not going to read them all, but I do want to look at GAL 5:21.
(a) 1st of all Paul says in (V 21) “Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like…”
(i) The words “AND SUCH LIKE” mean that this is not a complete list of the works of the flesh, but just an example.
(b) But notice what Paul said in the very last part of this V, “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
(i) Jesus said in (Luke 17:21) “The kingdom of God is within you.” KJV
(c) Part of God Kingdom is God Power, God’s Anointing, God’s Ability and God’s Grace.
(i) But those that are walking in the flesh shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
(ii) In other words they will not walk in God’s Power, Ability, and Anointing.
(d) The Lord says in (LEV 11:44) “Ye shall be holy; for I am holy.”
(i) If you want the anointing of God to flow, there has to be a connection with God.
(ii) Sin, the works of the flesh, and unholyness breaks that connection, it breaks fellowship with God.
IV) Now if we are really walking in the spirit, we will not be fulfilling the deeds of the flesh, but instead we’ll be walking in the FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT.
A) We’ve been taking up the FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT on Thursday nights, so I’m not going to get into it in much detail here, but I want to look at it for just a moment.
1) GAL 5:22-23
2) Those 9 characteristics, which we call the fruit of the spirit, are the very character of the Father, and the Holy Ghost.
3) But they are also the character of Jesus.
(a) Jesus walked in the fruit of the spirit at all times.
(b) You can say that when you’re walking in the fruit of the spirit you’re walking in the “IMAGE” of Jesus.
(c) The more we’re walking in the fruit of the spirit, the more we’re becoming like Jesus.
4) Look at ROM 8:29
(a) God has predestinated us to be like Jesus, and we are to walk in spirit and the Fruit of the spirit like Jesus did.
B) The Fruit of the spirit is a by-product of us yielding to the HS.
1) When you’re walking in the fruit of the Spirit, the anointing that comes from the Holy Ghost will begin to flow.
2) When you’re walking in the fruit of the spirit, the fruit will give you victory.
(a) Love is going to give you victory over hatred and all the defeat that hatred will bring.
(b) Joy will give you victory over depression.
(c) PEACE will give you victory over WORRY and FEAR.
3) When you begin to walk in the Fruit of the spirit, you begin to walk in the anointing for victory.
WOLCC Sunday, August 31, 1997