Romans # 22 Rom 12-6 thru 12-13
We’re going to be continuing on the book of Romans. Last time we ended with (ROM 12:1-5) I just want to briefly go back through some of that so that it can refresh our memory.
I. Starting in (ROM 12:3) Paul starts teaching about Pride and everyone has been given the measure of faith.
A. We can learn a lot about Pride and Faith from this V, but the main point that Paul is trying to bring out is that we are all equal.
1. As Paul goes on to say in the next few Vs, we are the same body, each of us have a different function in the body.
a. 1 may do 1 thing and someone does something else, whether in the church or out of the church.
b. No matter what part you are, you are an important part.
i. When 1 part suffers the whole body hurts.
B. The thing that Paul is trying to do is bring unity to the body of Christ.
1. (Psalm 133:1-2) Says, “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! 2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments.”
a. Unity will allow the anointing of God to flow.
2. How many times have you seen fighting and bickering going on in churches?
a. Far too often, and when you have that going on in the church the anointing of God is severely hindered.
b. Many times the church will even seem dead.
C. Look at MARK 5:23-24
1. Why should we make things right 1st with our brother, before we go to the Alter of God?
a. Disharmony and discord will stop the flow of God.
2. Look at MARK 11:23-25
a. These Vs teach us so much on the subject of Faith, Confession, Prayer, Doubt, but it also tell us that if we have ought against anyone we need to forgive them 1st.
b. Other wise, we’re going to stop the flow of God’s blessings.
II. Let’s go on to ROM 12:6-8
A. In (V 6) Paul is still talking about us being 1 body, but many members.
1. Each member has a different gift.
a. The word “Gifts” in this V is the Greek word “Charisma” which means “A Grace Gift.”
b. Each of us have a God given Gift, Function or Ministry.
2. He goes on to list some of them, but by no means is this a complete list.
a. 1st he says Prophesy, 2nd ministry, which could be a minister of the Word to a severer in the church, 3rd he says Teaching, 4th Exhortation, 5th Giving, 6th Ruleth (Leadership) and 7th Mercy.
b. There are so many areas that God can use you. Don’t feel that you’re not doing anything for the Lord.
i. You’re probable already doing it and you don’t even know it.
B. ROM 8:9-10
1. 1st of all, Paul says, “Let love be without dissimulation.”
a. “Dissimulation” means “Sincere, without Hypocrisy.”
i. All too often people have a love that is not Sincere, or they show their love with ulterior motives.
2. He goes on in (V 10) to expound on Love.
a. We should love one another with brotherly love, and in honor preferring one another.
b. The NIV says, “Honor one another above yourselves.”
i. The word “Honor” can also be translated “Value.”
ii. Value one another above yourselves.
C. ROM 12:11-12
1. Paul continues with his exhortation.
2. The main clause here is found at the end of (V 11), “Serving the Lord.”
a. We will serve the Lord better if we are “Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer.”
b. When Paul says “Fervent in Spirit.”
i. The word “Fervent” means “To boil with heat, be hot, (metaphor) zeal.”
ii. He’s saying “Have a zeal for God, be on fire for the Lord.”
c. He also tells us to “be patient in tribulation.”
i. There are going to be those storms in life, but be Patient in them.
ii. Through faith and patience we’ll inherit the promises.
d. He adds to that thought by saying, “Continuing instant in prayer.”
i. Prayer, along with faith is going to get you out of those storms.
ii. Now prayer should not be just for yourselves.
iii. (1 Timothy 2:1-2) Says, “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; (2) For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.”
III. ROM 12:13
A. In this V Paul makes mention of Christians helping out those in the body that are in need. That’s part of giving alms.
1. But I must say that you need to be led of the Lord when doing this.
a. There are many that go from church to church looking for someone to give them something. (Stories)
2. Paul goes on in this same V to say that Christians should be “given to hospitality.”
a. That literally means, “pursuing friendliness to strangers.”
i. I’m not saying that you should make them your best friend or invite them into your house to live with you.
ii. But you should show the love of Jesus to those that you don’t even know.
iii. Sometimes people walk into the church, not knowing anyone. We need to reach out to them, showing yourself friendly.
b. Paul under the inspiration of the HS said we need to do this.
i. We’re going to win many to Christ by showing Hospitality.
WOLCC Thurs. 12/14/95