Renewing the Mind #1c
I know they get an end his in I We started teaching on “Renewing the Mind” the few weeks ago. And we’re going to pick up from there.
I) Our opening text and we've been using for the series is (Romans 8:6) which says, "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."
A) The words “CARNALLY MINDED” mean “FLESHLY MINDED,” or “FLESH RULED” or A MIND THAT IS STAYED ON FLESHLY THINGS.
1) For us to become spiritually minded our thought process has to change.
a) We cannot we think according to the course of this world or as the world thinks and still be spiritually minded.
(i) We have to get ourselves so saturated in the Word of God so that we begin to think according to God’s Word.
(ii) The only way that our thought process is going to change is for us to get our minds renewed to the Word of God. We have to begin to think in line with God’s Word.
B) According to the verse we just read in Romans, Paul says, to be carnally minded, fleshly minded or just natural minded, thinking as the world thinks, is death. It leads to DEFEAT or will bring about FAILURE.
II) Turn with me to Colossians 3:10.
A) The part that I wanted you to see in that verse is that Paul says PUT ON THE NEW MAN, WHICH IS RENEWED IN KNOWLEDGE.
B) Now that knowledge isn't worldly knowledge but it's a knowledge of Him.
1) The Barclays’ translation says, “And you have clothed yourselves with the new nature, which is PROGRESSIVELY RENEWED, until it reaches fuller and fuller knowledge of God.”
2) There’s something that I found very interesting in this verse. When it’s talking about the “NEW MAN” it’s talking about the “BORN-AGAIN SPIRIT.”
a) This verse says the BORN-AGAIN SPIRIT IS RENEWED.
(i) The word “RENEWED” literally means, “TO GROW UP, NEW STRENGTH AND VIGOR.”
(ii) As we GET A KNOWLEDGE OF GOD, we are GROWING UP SPIRITUALLY and we’re getting a NEW STRENGTH on the INSIDE.
(iii) We are being transformed more and more into the image of God.
(iv) The Word of God renews that new nature, which is on the inside of us.
3) Without renewing our minds to the Word, we can fall back to that old nature, that carnal, fleshly nature.
C) The 1st thing that we need to do is for us to read, study, and meditate on the Word of God.
1) Another thing that we need to do in renewing our minds is to Cast down imaginations.
2) Turn to 2COR 10:4-5.
a) Imaginations take place in our mind. But we have a weapon that can stop those imaginations and that is the Word of God.
b) We need to stop thinking on failure and start thinking on the Word of God.
c) When our minds are renewed to the Word of God you'll begin to think the way God thinks.
3) Paul said in (Romans 8:6), “To be spiritually minded is life and peace.”
a) The spiritually minded person always agrees with the Word of God and the Spirit of God.
(i) For example, if you have a FINANCIAL PROBLEM, you probably sit down and think about what you should do.
(ii) Right away your spirits says, “Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give unto your bosom.” (Luke 6:38).
(iii) But then the natural mind tries to kick in by saying, “Give money away, I’ll have less money to pay the bills and even worse off.”
b) But then your spirits says, “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mind house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground.”
c) The spiritually minded person, the person that has their mind renewed to the Word of God, will side in with the Word of God.
(i) But the naturally minded person will override the spirit and reject the Word of God.
(ii) The spiritually minded person is going to act on the Word of God, whether they understand it or not.
4) The Bible says, “By whose stripes ye were healed,” then think that you’re healed and act like you’re healed.
5) The Bible says, “I can do all things through Christ.” Then think and act like you can.
6) The Bible says, “My God shall supply all my needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” And it also says, “Give and it shall be given unto you.”
a) Then think that you’re prosperous and act on the Word.
b) The Christian that has their mind renewed to the Word of God is going to act on it no matter what and when they do the blessings of God will begin to come upon you and even overtake you.
c) When our minds are renewed to the Word of God we’re going to start seeing the move of God in our lives.
III) Turn to Ephesians 2:8-9.
A) Your spirit is saved by grace through faith, and we can't improve on that it's complete.
1) But you also have a soul and a body, and those are not saved in the same manner.
2) In (Romans chapter 12) Paul was writing to Christians who were already saved when he said "BE NOT CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD BUT BE YE TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND."
a) Paul is telling the Christians that something now has to be done with their mind. (Already received salvation.)
B) Turn to Hebrews 10:38-39.
1) Paul says that BELIEVING is ABLE TO SAVE YOUR SOUL.
a) Your soul is your mind, your will, your motions, and your intellect.
b) He says that BELIEVING is able to save your soul.
(i) Believing or faith only comes from the Word of God. That means that the Word of God and faith in his Word will save your soul.
2) Turn to 1st Peter 1:9.
a) The end result of your faith, which is based on the Word of God, is the salvation of your soul or mind.
b) The Word "SALVATION" means "DELIVERANCE, SOUNDNESS OF MIND, AND SAFETY" just to name a few.
(i) The Word of God is going to set your mind free from bondages, torment, or depression and replace it with the peace of God, joy in your life and a sound mind.
C) Turn with me to James 1:21.
1) The "ENGRAFTED WORD" is the Word of God, and God's Word is able to save your soul.
2) The word "SAVE" in this verse is the Greek word “Sozo” which refers to all of God's promises, but in reference to the mind it means, "TO MAKE WELL, HEAL, RESTORE TO HEALTH, and it also means, TO DELIVER FROM EVIL."
3) But this Word "SAVE" also refers to VICTORY OVER THE ENEMY.
a) We need to go on from being born-again, spirit filled Christians, to being transformed by renewing our minds.
b) OUR FIRST STEP IN HAVING VICTORY in our lives begins by renewing our minds to God's Word. That renewed mind to Word of God will produce faith in your heart.
c) John said in (1st John 5:4) "THIS IS THE VICTORY THAT OVERCOMETH THE WORLD, EVEN A FAITH."
(i) When you get your minds renewed to the Word of God it will produce faith in your heart and make you an overcomer in this world.
June 30, 1990 TFC Sunday AM From the book “Renewing the Mind” By Casey Treat. Pg. 15-25 and WOLCC Sun AM 1/1/95 Sunday, September 13, 1998. Also preached on Sunday, September 20, 1998. This is the same message as "Renewing the Mind #2" but more was added to this message. Sunday, September 27, 1998. W. O. L. C. C. Sunday, April 21, 2002