We've been teaching on t ministry of t H.S. In t last few weeks we've been on t gifts of t Spirit. 2 weeks ago we took up Prophecy. Last weak we took up t subject of praying in tongues, Tongues for devotional use, for praying to God, for edification or building yourself up. Today I want to cover t Gift of Tongues & t Interpretation of Tongues.
I. 1COR 12:10
A. T word "divers" is italicized in t KJV of t Bible, which means it was added by t translators.
1. Actually, this V reads "to another kinds of tongues."
2. But in another place (1CO 12:28) Paul said that "God hath set in the church diversities of tongues." (KJV)
a. It's fine to say divers kinds of tongues, or different kinds of tongues, because of (1COR 12:28).
B. Divers kinds of tongues is a supernatural utterance by t H.S. in languages never learned by t speaker & not understood by t mind of t speaker & it is not normally understood by t hearer.
1. I have heard of a few cases where t person spoke in tongues & it was in a foreign language, where someone understood it & told what was said.
2. ACTS 2:4‑8
a. Now there are a few different possibilities of what happened here. 1st it could be that t H.S. opened t ears of these men so that they all thought that they were hearing in there own language.
b. Look again w/ me to V 6. Notice t word "them."
c. I belive that all t disciples were speaking, all of them in a difference language.
i. Whether they all spoke at t same time in a different direction or whether they took turns speaking it doesn't matter.
ii. T point is that there are those rare occasion where t tongues that are spoken are understood by t hearer.
3. Speaking in tongues has nothing to do w/ LINGUISTIC ability.
a. It has nothing to do w/ t mind or t intellect of man.
b. It's a vocal miracle.
C. Of t 3 vocal gifts, or as we have referred to them before as t gifts of utterance or inspiration, which are t gift of Prophecy, divers kinds of tongues & t interpretation of tongues, T gift of Tongues is t most prominent.
1. That doesn't mean it's t best, just t most wildly used.
2. T reason for that is that tongues for public use is t least of t gifts, because of that it is t most widely distributed by t H.S.
3. T 2nd reason is that it takes less faith to give a tongue to be interpreted.
a. It's a gift that easy to use.
II. God will use some people in t public utterance of tongues, but it is not intended for everybody.
A. This is t mistake that t Corinthians were making & sometimes it is a mistake that our churches today are making.
1. 1COR 14:26
a. There was excess in that Church.
b. Everyone can be used in t gift of tongues, but not at t same service.
i. T H.S. has given us some definite guide lines on t subject of tongues & t interpretation of tongues.
2. V 27‑28
a. In t Greek t words "TWO or THREE" are personal pronouns which refer to people.
b. We should have no more then 2 or 3 people give a word in a service.
III. Let's go on to t interpretation of tongues.
A. T interpretation of tongues is t supernatural showing forth by t Spirit t meaning of an utterance of tongues.
1. T interpretation of tongues is not a translation of t tongues that was spoken, it in an interpretation.
a. That is t reason that a tongue may be short but t interpretation is rather lengthy.
b. Interpretation of tongues does not operate unless tongues for public use has been in operation.
c. T interpretation of tongues is to let t hearer understand what was said by t gift of Tongues.
d. T purpose of t interpretation of tongues is for edifying t body.
i. 1COR 14:5
ii. Either t 1 gift of Prophecy or t 2 other gifts of utterance are all for edifying t body of Christ.
2. Now God does speak to us in other ways, He has given to t
church Prophecy, Tongues, & t interpretation of tongues to speak to us.
a. But what are some of t other ways?
b. He speaks to us thru His Word.
c. He does speak thru teaching & preaching t Word of God.
d. T Bible teaches us that He will also speaks to us thru t H.S. to our spirits.
i. But He will not speak to us thru FLEECES. ‑‑‑‑
B. On a different note, I found a quote from Dr. Kenneth Hagin which said, "T minute one speaks forth prophecy he has a higher authority w/ it. T words take on more authority & have a greater anointing. In other words, there is more inspiration to it &_everybody is blessed more."
1. 1COR 14:1
2. I think this is why Paul said, "But rather that ye may prophesy".
C. In 1CO 14:27 Which says...
1. That does not say that there cannot be 4, 5 or even 6 utterances in tongues.
a. But what it does say is that only 2 or at t most 3 people should give those utterance.
b. If you're t 4th person & you feel that you just must give something, t Word of God says don't.
i. If it is t Lord one of t other 3 will give it.
2. One of t other questions that is at times brought up is when someone gives a tongue & that very person interprets
a. There is nothing w/ that. It is not unscriptural.
b. T Bible says that there should not be a tongue if there is no interpreter.
i. As long as there is an interpreter everything is fine.
D. Now in V 33, Paul says...
1. Paul also said in (EPH 4:30) "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God."
2. Confusion in t church will grieve t H.S.
a. There are times that t gifts of utterances are in confusion.
b. Look at what Paul said in, 1COR 14:40.
VI. I'm going to end w/ something Paul said in (V. 26) "Let all things be done unto edifying." (KJV) SUN AM 9/16/90