Healing of the Lord # 7
We're going to continue our teaching on THE HEALING OF THE LORD. I want to pick up were we left off last time and clarify a few points from last week's message.
I) One of the 1st things that we need to do in order to walk in divine health and receive our healing is to remind ourselves of the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ.
A) We have been redeemed from Satan's kingdom and Satan's control over our lives. He is no longer our master and he no longer has any rights over us.
1) Satan is the author of sickness and disease and he no longer has the right to bring afflictions on the body Christ.
2) When Jesus went to that cross not only did he pay for our sins, but he also paid for our sicknesses and diseases.
a) Both, our sins and sicknesses were placed on the Lord Jesus and he paid the price for them by being crucified and descending into the lower parts of the earth.
b) And our covenant rights of health and healing, and the washing away of our sins have been sealed forever by the precious blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.
B) Satan no longer has the authority over your body, but if you're not aware of your covenant rights or if you're not walking in faith to what God has promised than Satan can creep in and sell you the bag of lies.
1) Turn with me to 1st Peter 5:8.
a) Notice the words "MAY DEVOUR."
b) The word "DEVOUR" can also be translated "DESTROY."
(i) Jesus said about Satan in (John 10:10) that the thief (Satan) comes to steal, kill, and destroy.
(ii) Sickness is one of the tactics Satan uses to destroy one's health, one's life, and even one's finances.
c) But according to (John 10:10) Jesus didn't leave us in Satan's grip. In that same verse it says that Jesus came to give us life and to give us life more abundantly.
(i) In that verse it says that Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy; Jesus came to defeat and destroy the works of the Devil.
(ii) When SATAN comes to STEAL, JESUS came to BRING GOD'S SUPERNATURAL PROVISION and PROSPERITY.
(iii) When SATAN comes TO KILL, JESUS came to give us the GOD KIND OF LIFE, LIFE IN THE FULLNESS.
(iv) When SATAN comes to DESTROY, JESUS came to LIFT US UP AND DELIVER US FROM SATAN'S WORKS.
(v) Jesus came to bring us those things and that we would walk in them in abundance.
C) Now go back with me to 1st Peter 5:8.
1) Satan doesn't have all right to bring sickness upon you: just like a person does not have a right to break into your house and steal your goods.
a) This verse says that Satan is walking about seeking whom he MAY devour.
(i) Just like a burglar who is seeking someone that he can steal from.
(ii) If you're not ready for that burglar he may be able to break in.
2) If we're not ready for Satan's attacks he may be able to get in and bring sickness.
D) Well, the Word of God tells us how we can be ready for the attacks of the enemy.
1) In 1st Peter 5:9a it says, "Whom resist steadfast in the faith."
2) One of the steps that you need to take in overcoming sickness and disease and walking in divine health is to "RESIST."
a) The word "RESIST" from the dictionary means, "TO EXERT FORCE IN OPPOSITION."
b) The Strong's concordance took me to the root word of "RESIST" and it says its meaning is, "TO STAND IMMOVABLE, STAND FIRM."
(i) (James 4:7) says, "Resist the Devil and he will flee."
3) Well, we come down to the question, "How do we resist the Devil?"
a) Well, that brings us back to (1st Peter 5:9) which says, "Whom resist steadfast in the faith."
(i) The NIV translation says, "Resist him, standing firm in the faith."
4) The way we're going to gain victory over Satan in his attacks of sickness and disease IS TO STAND FIRM ON THE WORD of God IN FAITH.
II) The Bible tells us that we get the faith, which is needed to overcome Satan's attacks by HEARING THE WORD OF GOD.
A) (Romans 10:17) says, "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."
1) But just hearing the Word of God a few times is not going to be good enough in most cases.
a) Your whole thought process has to begin to change.
2) Turn with me to Romans 12:2.
a) The person that gets their mind so renewed to the Word of God so that their thought process changes, they begin to think in line with the Word. They'll begin to act like the Word of God is true.
(i) This person's faith will cause them to inherit (receive) the promises of God.
W. O. L. C. C. Sunday, January 24, 1999