Healing # 11
We’re going to continue teaching on the subject of healing today. We have seen many people through the Word of God get healed and we have seen people receiving their healing as they come up for prayer. We know that divine healing is a reality, but all to often we ask the question, “Will God heal me?” There is no way to know weather God will heal you or not unless you know it from the Word of God.
The Bible reveals the will of God. As we study the scriptures we must conclude that it is the will of God to heal his children.
I. In the book of (Exodus 15:26) God says, “For I am the LORD that healeth thee.”
A. This is part of the covenant that God set up between His people and Himself.
1. HEB 8:6
a. Not only was healing part of the Old Covenant, but it’s also part of the New Covenant.
b. According to this V we just read it’s established upon better promises.
2. The word “Established” in (HEB 8:6) literally means from the Greek “To enact laws.”
a. You could read this V like this, (Hebrews 8:6) “But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which enacted the law of better promises.”
i. The covenant promises that we have from the Word of God are a spiritual laws.
ii. We never have to wonder “will God heal us” God is obligated to keep His Word. It’s a spiritual law.
B. In the NT or the New Covenant we see healing even more prevalent.
1. MATT 12:15
a. This is just 1 example, but we see this same thing throughout the Word of God.
C. Many have said that the work that Jesus did on the earth was to prove that He was God, God the Son.
1. Not only did He prove that He was the Son of God, but He also came revealing the will of God the Father.
a. HEB 10:7 (This is in reference to the Lord Jesus Christ.)
b. Look at HEB 10:9
i. In (John 4:34) Jesus said, “My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.”
2. Jesus did the will of God and He healed all that came to Him.
a. (Hebrews 13:8) Says, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
D. Jesus commissioned the 12 to heal the sick.
1. MATT 10:5-8
2. Then later He commissioned the 70.
a. LUKE 10:1-5, 9
3. Then Jesus said to all the believers in (Mark 16:17-18) “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”
II. From the beginning to the present we see healing. God has provided healing through Christ’s redemptive work.
A. Turn to ISA 53:4-5
1. In (V 4) where it says, “Surely he hath borne our grief’s, and carried our sorrows.”
a. The word “Grief’s” Literally means from the Hebrew “Sickness or disease.”
b. And the word “Sorrows” means “pains either physical or mental.”
2. When Jesus went to that cross He paid not only our sins, but also for our sicknesses, diseases, and our physical and mental pains.
a. Then He adds in (V 5) “And with his stripes we are healed.”
B. There are many healings that took place in the OT through types and shadows of Christ’s redemptive work.
1. The cleansing of the lepers in (LEV 14).
2. The healing of the plague in (NUM 16).
3. The Brazen Serpent in (NUM 21).
4. The healing of Job in (JOB 33). and many more.
C. Turn to PSA 103:3
1. Sin and sickness are very closely related.
a. Sickness would not have ever come into the world if it wasn’t for Adam’s sin.
b. Remember the man that was impotent in his feet that would lie at the pool of Bethesda?
i. Jesus said to him in (John 5:14) “Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.”
ii. Jesus told him to sin no more or he could get worse.
a. Sin deteriorates the body. (Sexual sin)
2. Look at 1PET 2:24. Notice how closely sin and sickness are related in this V.
a. We have redemption from sin and sickness by the shed blood of Jesus and by the stripes that He borne.
i. I don’t want to make it sound like I’m saying that if you are sick it’s because you have sinned.
ii. Some times that might be true, but it’s not always the reason.
iii. There is an adversary out there, Satan who seeks to kill, steal, and destroy. (sickness)
b. But everyone that seeks Jesus as Lord and savior receives redemption from their sins, but at the same time healing is made available to them.
i. It’s theirs, they may not apply the healing power of God to their lives, but it’s theirs, it’s part of your covenant.
c. Turn to ROMANS 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
i. The word “SAVED” means “Salvation”, but it also means “Healed.”
ii. Who is the “whosoever” that this V is talking about?
iii. It’s whosoever will meet the conditions and believe His Word.
3. We can no longer say “If God is willing.”
a. He left no one out. He said “Whosoever will call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Healed)
i. Acts 10:34 “God is no respecter of persons.”
III. Some might feel that they just are not good enough to be healed.
A. Maybe you’re feeling inadequate because you don’t pray enough or there is something else that is lacking in you life that makes you feel unworthy, even though you are still serving the Lord.
1. Look at PSA 105:37.
a. This is talking about the children of Israel when they were set free from the Egyptians.
b. Did you notice that it says there was not one feeble among them.
i. Some say that there was as many as 4 million of them and not 1 sickly.
2. You might think that you're sick and can’t receive your healing because you have some flaws and you’re not perfect.
a. Aren’t you glad we don’t receive God’s promises bases on our own righteous.
b. We receive everything based on the righteousness of Jesus.
i. In the multitude of the 4 million Israelites, there were many that were not perfect, yet they walked in divine health.
ii. Don’t let the Devil tell you that you are not worthy. You are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.
c. The covenant that we are under is a far greater covenant. If they were healed under the Old Covenant how much more is healing made available to us.
i. By Jesus stripes you are healed.
SUN AM WOLCC 5/15/94 From T. L. Osborn’s book “Healing the Sick.” Chapter 3 page 27