Galatians # 10 Gal 4-1 thru 4-5
We’re going to continue teaching on the book of Galatians. Going through a book of the Bible verse by verse is 1 of the best ways to study the Word of God. It’s good to study the Word of God by subjects, like healing, deliverance, prosperity, and that God answers prayer. But sometimes people will take things out of context by doing that. So it’s also needful for us to study the Word verse by verse so that we can clearly understand what the Word of God says.
I) GAL 4:1-3
A) In (V 1) Paul is talking about a child that is born from the head of the house, an heir to that household.
1) These churches at Galatia were made up of JEWS, ROMANS, and GREEKS.
(a) They had the custom of placing the children under guardians who would watch over them and guard their estate.
(b) When this child was still under this guardian, he ranked no higher than a slave did in that household.
2) In V2 Paul says, (read)
(a) At a certain age, a time appointed by the father, the son received the full right of manhood.
B) In (V 3) Paul says, “Even so we.”
1) Paul likens us to 1 of these children that were under a guardian.
(a) The last ½ of (V 3) says, “Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.”
(i) The Word “ELEMENTS” in this V would be a little clearer if it was translated “PRINCIPALS.”
2) So what Paul is saying is that BEFORE we received CHRIST we were in BONDAGE to the PRINCIPALS OF THIS WORLD.
(a) Paul calls Satan the GOD OF THIS WORLD in (2COR 4:4).
(b) Before we received Jesus as our Lord and Saviour we were under the bondage of Satan and he was a hard taskmaster. (EGYPT)
(i) A “TASKMASTER” would drive you to do things that you would not want to do.
II) GAL 4:4
A) I like the 1st part of that V.
1) You could reword this sentence just a little bit and it would still be just as correct.
2) You could word it this way, “But God, when the fullness of the time was come sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.” (Galatians 4:4)
B) OF course, this refers to the Lord Jesus Christ.
1) So often in the Word of God, when something bad was happening God intervened.
(a) The Word of God WOULD usually say, “This or that was happening, BUT GOD.”
2) In this V it says that we were under Satan, BUT GOD.
(a) God sent forth His Son to redeem us. SALVATION
(i) Life in California today is usually very stressful.
(ii) 1 of the biggest areas of stress is MONEY.
(a) Everything in CA. seems to cost so much.
(b) If you have many things you need more money to keep them, which is stressful.
(c) If your not making much money, it’s stressful just to pay the bills.
(iii) Look at PHIL 4:19
(b) Go back to GAL 4:4 when Paul used the words, “Made of a woman” its in reference to the VIRGIN BIRTH.
(c) Then Paul says that Jesus was “Made under the Law.”
(i) Jesus was born, lived His life, was crucified, died, was buried, was resurrected, and ascended into heaven – all under the dispensation of the LAW.
(ii) The NEW DISPENSATION the CHURCH AGE, the AGE OF GRACE did not begin until AFTER Jesus ASCENSION, when he offered His blood in the heavenly Holy of Holies.
(iii) Jesus shed blood paid the price for our salvation.
III) GAL 4:5
A) I like how the NIV puts this, the NIV says, “To redeem those under law, that we might receive the full RIGHTS OF SONS.” NIV (Galatians 4:5)
1) The word “REDEEM” here means, “PAID THE PRICE TO COVER THE COST.”
2) Jesus came and paid the price, freeing us from the dominion of the Mosaic Law, by His death.
B) When the KJV says, “the adoption of sons,” it means “The placing of a son into the family with full right as a family member.”
1) Now you are of the family of God, with God being our Father, and we are heirs of God and Joint heirs with the Lord Jesus Christ.
2) The promises of God and the blessings of God belong to us.
Galatians #10 Gal 4:1-4:5.docx
WOLCC Thursday 5/15/97