We’re going to continue on the message that I started last week entitled “Be Strong in the Word.”
I. Turn with me to 2COR 2:11
A. 1 of the things that he’s talking about here is “Unforgiveness.”
1. If a person has unforgiveness in their heart, Satan can get an advantage over them.
a. But let me ask you this, How do you know that unforgiveness will cause problems?
i. Because you know the Word tells us to forgive.
2. If you do not know the Word, Satan can get an advantage over us.
B. Turn to MARK 4:14-20 (This is the parable that Jesus told which is about a sower sowing seed.) He explains it in these passages.
1. In (V 15) we see that Satan came immediately to steal the Word.
a. These are people that have heard the Word.
2. In (Vs 16 and 17) These people also heard the Word, but they received it with gladness and began to walk in the Word.
a. But when the storms or persecution came they were offended or fell away (into sin).
i. Again Satan came to steal the Word.
3. The 3rd group also had the Word, but the Worries of life, the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things, entered in and stole the Word.
4. The 4th group also heard the Word, but they kept walking in the things of the Lord, in spite of the Storms, persecution, riches, and they were not overcome by the temptations of the lust of other things and worries.
C. The point that I’m trying to make is Satan knows the power of the Word, and he tries to steal it.
1. Even you and I are not immune from Satan’s attacks of trying to steal the Word from us.
a. It might come through Storms, persecutions, worries, worldly things, or doubt.
b. He doesn’t want us to walk in the Word or put our faith in God’s Word.
i. That’s where we can do him the most harm.
ii. So he will try to steal the Word from even you and me.
2. It’s so important that hold on to God’s Word and never let go of it know matter what.
a. Peter said in (1 Peter 1:23) “The Word of God liveth and abideth for ever.” (KJV)
i. Jesus said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.” (Matthew 24:35) (KJV)
ii. It says in (Isaiah 55:11) “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.” (KJV)
iii. There is power in God’s Word and it will not return void in your life if you believe it.
II. MARK 4:35-40
A. What Jesus was saying is that you didn’t have to run and get me. All you needed was faith.
1. But faith is only based on the Word.
a. Jesus knew that. He already gave them the Word.
i. Jesus said to them in (V35) “Let’s go to the other side.”
B. This could be a storm that you’re going through.
1. You don’t need to run and panic or operate in fear like the disciples did.
a. You too have the Word of God.
b. If you know what God’s Word says, you can say to the Devil, “Devil, God’s Word says that I am the head and not the tail.” God’s Word says that I am healed. God’s Word says that I am blessed and that He is prospering me. God’s Word says, “I’m going through that storm.” God’s Word says, “I’m going to the other side.”
2. HEB 4:12
a. What Paul was saying is that the Word of God was more powerful than any other weapon.
i. More powerful than the atomic bomb.
ii. More powerful than the works of the Devil.
III. MATT 8:5-10
A. Who was it that caused this sickness? Satan
1. How was this boy healed? ?Through the Word?
a. Not really.
2. The servant was healed because the centurion had faith in the Word of God.
a. Jesus said that this man had great faith. (MAT 8:10)
b. What was his faith based on?
i. Look at MATT 8:8 again.
ii. He was saying, “All I need is the Word of God on the subject and my servant will be healed.”
B. Sometimes people say that Jesus heals because of His compassion or His mercy.
1. There may be those times that Jesus does move with compassion and heal the sick or work in a person’s life.
a. But that’s not always the case.
b. What about the person at the gate of the temple called beautiful?
c. The Word says he was at the temple daily.
i. Jesus went to the temple often.
ii. Why didn’t Jesus heal him? Healing doesn’t always come through the Lord’s compassion or His mercy. (ACTS 3:2)
2. But the Bible does says that it’s through faith (faith in His Word) that we’ll always see the answer.
a. MAR 9:23
b. He said all things are possible to him that believeth.
i. Remember, “Believing” is another word for “Faith,” and faith is always based on the Word.
c. MAR 11:24
d. What Jesus is saying is, “According to your faith so be it unto you.”
e. It’s faith in the Lord, faith in His promise, and faith in His Word that’s going to get the job done.
IV. HEB 10:38
A. If we draw back from what? From faith.
1. We could say this, “If we live by faith, we are pleasing to the Lord.”
a. If we live by faith we are doing what is right in the eyes of God.
2. 2THESS 3:13
a. If we’re walking in faith then we’re doing what is right. (well doing)
b. The point that I’m trying to make and what the Word says is, don’t get weary in your walk of faith, because it is pleasing to God and you’ll receive your answer.
c. GAL 6:9
i. Taylor Paraphrased translation says, “And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up.”
ii. “Doing what is right” here can mean 2 things. It can mean doing good deeds. You’ll receive a reward for your good deeds.
iii. But “Doing what is right” also means “Living by faith.”
3. In (1 Timothy 6:12) Paul said “Fight the good fight of faith.”
B. EPH 6:13-14a
1. Sometimes it does seem like a fight to stand in faith.
2. But he’s telling us when you’ve done all to stand, keep standing!
i. Be as bullheaded as an old bull when it comes to the Promised of God.
ii. Don’t turn to the left, don’t turn to the right, stand your ground without wavering.
C. When Israel was wandering in the wilderness, they came to the promise land. (12 spies 10 evil report 2 good report) Joshua and Caleb stood on the Word of God, no matter what the majority said.
1. 1COR 1:18
a. The “Preaching of the cross” is the Word of God and Paul says that it is the “Power of God.”
2. EPH 6:10
a. 1 of the definition of the phrase “The power of God” or as this V puts it “The power of His might” is “the Word of God.”
b. Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His Word.
WOLCC SUN AM 11/15/92 and 8/6/95 Sun AM In part form Kenneth Hagin’s book “What To Do When Faith Seems Weak and Victory Lost,” Chapter 1