Ephesians # 27 Eph 5-22 thru 5-27
All right, we’re still on the book of Ephesians, and we’re going to pick up right where we left off last time.
I. EPH 5:22
A. Submission is 1 of the most misunderstood words in the Word of God.
1. There is a difference between “Submission” and “obedience.”
a. Submission is an attitude and Obedience in an act.
b. Wives are told to Submit, not necessarily to obey.
i. When a husband tells the wife to submit, he usually is telling her to obey.
ii. The husband has turned into a dictator, and that is not scriptural.
iii. Jesus is never a dictator.
2. If the husband demands that the wife not go to church, she should still go.
a. In love, she should respectfully decline.
b. No matter what the husband asks of the wife, if it is not in line with what the word says, the wife should not do it.
3. What does it mean to submit or to have a submissive attitude?
a. Maybe I can best explain it this way, Rebellion is an unsubmissive attitude in a person, even though they may obey. They may be forced to.
i. I remember a story of a child that was told to sit down.
ii. The child finally sat down, but said, “I might be sitting down on the outside, but I’m standing on the inside.”
b. A submissive attitude says, I am willing to listen and if you are right I will do it.
B. In reference to God, the Bible tells us in (Isaiah 1:19) “If ye be willing (submissive) and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land.” KJV
1. The reason that we should be willing (Submissive) and Obedient to the Lord without question, is that the Lord is always right.
a. Men are not always right.
i. Men listen to your wives more often and don’t be so stubborn, your wife might have some fantastic wisdom and spiritual insight.
b. Ladies, you can be hold accountable to God for doing something that your husband told you to do if it is not pleasing to the Lord.
C. The best marriage exists when the husband does not violate God’s Word in his headship of the home.
1. Many husbands do not give their wives any thing to respect, which makes it difficult to submit.
2. The husband’s main responsibility in the home is to love, protect, and to provide for his wife, as Jesus does the church.
3. Men, you’re never told to make your submit, that is the wives responsibility.
II. EPH 5:22-23
A. I have to keep talking to the men, because that is where much of the problem is.
1. Even though the husband may be the head of the family, our example is the Lord Jesus Christ.
a. Jesus never demands us to do things, He leads, He doesn’t demand and drive.
B. EPH 5:24
1. Again submission is a commandment in the Word.
a. Men are not to use this V to abuse their wife.
2.Ladies, this V is NOT talking about OBEDIENCE IN EVERYTHING, BUT SUBMISSION.
a. The wife is to maintain a correct attitude of submission, which may or may not mean obedience, depending on the situation.
C. EPH 5:25
1. Both times the word “Love” is used here, it comes from the Greek word “Agape.”
a. Agape is an unconditional love. It does not depend on what someone does or does not do.
2. Again the husbands example is to be the Lord Jesus Christ.
a. As Jesus gave Himself for the church, the husband is to give himself for the wife.
b. That means he is to provide Love, Protection, Finances, Comfort, Companionship, and Conversation.
3. The Bible says that I am a JOINT HEIR with the Lord Jesus Christ.
a. “Joint” means “Equal.”
b. Everything that belongs to the husband also belongs to the wife and vise versa.
III. EPH 5:26 This V is talking about Jesus and the church, but it’s in context with the husband and wife relationship.
A. The word “IT” in this V can be just as easily translated “HER” and should be.
1. The husband should speak words to edify the wife and encourage her.
a. When she is encouraged for her strengths, it much easier for her to have that submissive attitude.
2. Love making begins with words. Edification during the day brings satisfaction at night.
3. Jesus brings Words of encouragement to us and that word brings a satisfaction.
B. EPH 5:27
1. Again this is a reference to Jesus and the Church, but it’s in context with the husband - wife relationship.
2. Spots and wrinkles are a break down of the body.
a. The Word of God removes the spiritual spots and wrinkles.
b. In the marriage relationship when communication and fellowship stop the marriage begins to break down.
3. In this V Jesus says that He wants a glorious church and it will come through the washing of water by the word.
a. In our relationship with the Lord, we praise Him and tell Him how good He is, how loving He is, how kind and gentle He is, He also tells us How much He Loves us, and He brings many other words of encouragement.
i. As the Husband tells his wife how he loves her and encourages her, AND as the wife tells the Husband how good he is, how loving he is, how kind and gentle he is, IT’S GOING TO PRODUCE A GLORIOUS RELATIONSHIP.
WOLCC Thurs. 10/10/96