Diligence in the Word #5a
God is speaking to Joshua and saying to him: “Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be dismayed, but go and prosper.” The key to doing this is found in the V. we just read. The key is to meditate on the Word daily. This doesn’t just mean to think on it. God is telling Joshua to put the Word 1st, be zealous about it, be diligent with it. Then results will come.
I) ACTS 20:32.
A) According to this Verse, the Word will build you up and strengthen you. It will rise up within you and cause you to possess the inheritance that God has given you. (It's the Amplified translation that says, "The Word is able to build you up and give you your rightful inheritance.")
1) You will have good success because knowing God’s Word will give you the faith to receive the promises of God.
a) (Hebrews 6:12) says that it's through faith and patience we'll inherit the promises.
2) But the Word also gives you the ability to deal wisely in the affairs of life.
3) Jesus is the greatest success to ever walk on this earth.
a) He did it by being attentive to His Father’s Word.
b) He put His Father’s Word 1st. He only spoke His Father’s Words.
c) He was successful in every detail and there never has been any wiser.
4) Did you know that the Word says that we have the mind of Christ?
a) It’s been promised to us.
B) Turn to LUKE 2:42-52 Notice what it says in V 46.
1) Jesus was putting the Word of God 1st.
a) When His parents said they were seeking him, Jesus was amazed.
b) They should have known where he would be.
c) They wasted their time searching for Jesus; all they had to do was to look in the obvious places.
d) Jesus said in (V. 49) “Wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?”
e) Jesus was putting the Word 1st.
2) The results are found in (V. 52) it says, “And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”
a) One translation says, “And Jesus increased in the WORD OF GOD and age.”
b) Jesus was diligent in the Word of God.
II) Many times we see people that are man-pleasers, and there are times when we might even be a man-pleaser without even knowing it.
A) But Jesus was a Father-pleaser.
1) JOHN 8:29.
a) Then Jesus said in (V. 28), “I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.”
2) Jesus was successful in the most important event that ever took place.
a) The mission of DYING FOR OUR SINS and RESURRECTION FOR OUR JUSTIFICATION.
b) That again was Jesus acting on his Father’s Word.
c) JOHN 10:17-18.
3) Putting the Word 1st place is diligence on your behalf to give God the Father his rightful place in your life.
a) Then success comes.
III) A few weeks ago we we’re talking about making a quality decision to be diligent in God’s Word.
A) That’s exactly what the Psalmist did.
1) PSA 119:60.
a) Notice, the WILL is involved here; he said, “I made haste.” He made the decision for the Word.”
2) Look at PSA 119:15-16.
a) The will is involved.
b) The Psalmist said, “I will meditate in thy precepts, I have respect unto thy ways, I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.”
c) He’s putting God’s Word 1st.
3) (PSA 119:11) “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
a) We should learn to listen to the Word of God that is stored in our hearts.
B) Lets look at Jesus again. MARK 5:22-23.
1) On the way to Jairus house they were stopped by the woman with the issue of blood, and Jesus healed her. But Jairus received a message.
2) Look at Vs. 35-36.
a) Jesus made a statement that he only did what he learned of the Father.
b) The Word was in Him in abundance.
3) For Jairus, in the midst of the worst possible news, Jesus spoke the Words of His Father out of His own spirit.
a) Listen to what the (ASV) says about (V 36) “But Jesus, not heeding the word spoken, saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Fear not, only believe.” (ASV)
b) The AMP says ‘Ignoring what they said’.
c) The Williams says, Jesus paid no attention to what was said.
d) Jesus ignored man’s word as the final authority, and spoke God’s Word as the final authority.
4) God’s Word will change any situation or circumstance, but it has to be in your heart.
a) Be diligent in the Word of God!
WOLCC DILIGEN5.DOC SUN AM 8/18/91 and Sunday, December 26, 1999 and TFC.