The Holy Spirit and Our Weakness (Part 1) Romans 8:26-27, God for Us Series
Outline of Romans 8 using 5 simple words:
1. Liberation, 8:1-11
2. Obligation, 8:12-17
3. Glorification, 8:18-25
4. Provision, 8:26-30
5. Protection, 8:31-39
God’s Provision, 8:26-30.
The ____________of the Spirit toward us, vv. 26-27.
The _______________of the Father, vv. 28-30
The Power of the Spirit, vv. 26-27.
The Spirit helps our infirmities (weaknesses)
• “Likewise”—he has been dealing with suffering and groaning and now he will deal with the ____________________that we have.
• “Weakness”—this is plural in translation but it is _____________plural.
• “Weakness” is not _____________; it is occasion for ___________.
• “The” weakness (specific)—we still live with the sin_______and with a __________body.
• “Help”—this is the idea of _________________and teamwork (ex., Luke 10:40).
• The focus is on our ______________in prayer.
• “Should”—this is the word used for absolute necessity (John 3—you must (same word) be
• Do we always know the exact right thing to ask God for?_________
• “But”—we do not but _______________does.
• “Groanings which cannot be uttered” (too deep for words).
o We don’t understand.
o God does.
Principle: Always distinguish between _______________need and _____________need.
Observation: It is perfectly legitimate to see a need and pray for what we think needs to happen.
At the same time you can relax because the Spirit will catch it and handle it.