Colossians# 21 3-1 thru 3-3
I. COL 3:1
A. Back in (Col 2:20) it talks about us being dead with Christ from this world, in COL 3:1 it says that we are risen with Christ.
1. Starting in Chapter 3 Paul seems to change his line of thinking.
a) Chapters 1 & 2 Paul deals more with correction from the errors that were being taught by the false teachers.
b) Chapter 3 and the 1st ½ of chapter 4 Paul begins to teach on who we are in Christ and putting on the new man.
2. Verse 1 starts of with us being raised from the dead with Christ.
a) What does it mean to be raise with Christ? (Life)
b) What does it mean to have died with Christ. ROM 6:8-11.
(1) We are dead to sin and the ways of this world, but because we are dead to this world, we are raised together with Him to live in the newness and fullness of this life.
3. Next Paul says, “seek those things which are above.”
a) The Bible is filled with scriptures that tells us to seek 1st the Kingdom of God.
b) The NIV says, “Set your hearts on things above.”
c) The AMP says, “aim at and seek the [rich, eternal treasures] that are above,
4. He ends with “where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.”
a) There are many (about dozen) scriptures that say that He is seated at the right hand of God.
B.There is some discussion that the THRONE might be figurative.
1. I believe this to be real but also somewhat symbolic.
a) How could God who is everywhere at once be confined to a chair (throne).
b) It’s really beyond our comprehension.
2. This verse says that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God.
a) Wherever His throne is, however He sits upon it; it is a place of authority.
b) Look at 1 Peter 3:22
(1) The God’s Word Translation says, “Christ has gone to heaven where he has the highest position that God gives. Angels, rulers, and powers have been placed under his authority.”
(2) I like how the Message Translation says it. The message Bible is more of a thought-by-thought translation in modern day understanding.
(3) It says, “Jesus has the last word on everything and everyone, from angels to armies. He’s standing right alongside God, and what he says goes.”
II. Col 3:2
A. Very simply was saying, “Concentrate your concern on the eternal, not the temporal.” 
1. Paul is basically completing his thought from verse 1.
2. In other words, Paul is saying that we should be more concerned on the eternal things and less concerned with earthly things.
a) Paul said a very similar thing in (2 COR 4:18) “While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
3. So what Paul is saying is that we need to place the emphasis on the unseen world, especially on the kingdom of God and accomplishing His will on earth. And we need to be less concerned about the things that we can see, the material world.
B. Paul was not joining himself together with asceticism; he had just condemned in( Col 2:20-23 ).
1. He was saying that life in this world will be better if it is lived by a power beyond this world, the power of the resurrected, ascended, glorified Christ and through the power of the Spirit.
2. That is the only way that we can live life to the fullest, to the abundant life.
a) But again the secret to living a victorious life is by putting the Kingdom of God 1st.
b) Turn to 1 COR 15:57.
(1) But now look at Verse 58 (Therefore)
(2) Any time you see a “Therefore” you need to stop to see what it’s there for.
(3) Next he says “forasmuch” = “because.”
(4) Your labors are important.
(a) Because we need to do works? We always need to do good works.
c) Your labors are important because if you’re putting the Kingdom of God 1st, then you will do the works of the Kingdom.
III. COL 3:3-4
A. At the moment a person is born-again, they died to the flesh, the sin nature.
1. Look at what Paul said in Rom 6:3-8.
2. Our life is now hidden with Christ in God.
a) “Hid” or “Hidden” implies both concealment and safety
3. We are now found IN Christ.
B. Again verse 4.
1. There is coming a day when He will appear and we shall appear with Him in all of His glory.
WOLCC Thurs. 7/9/2003
The amplified Bible, containing the amplified Old Testament and the amplified New Testament. 1987 (Col 3:1). La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.
God's Word. 1996, c1995 (1 Pe 3:22). Grand Rapids: World Publishing.
Peterson, E. H. (2003). The Message : The Bible in contemporary language (1 Pe 3:22). Colorado Springs, Colo.: NavPress.
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-c1985). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Col 3:2). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-c1985). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Col 3:3). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.