Colossians #6 1-12 thru 1-13
I. Col 1:8-13
A. Verses 8 thru 11 we already covered.
1. At the end of V 11 Paul uses the Word Joyfulness “;” Giving thanks.
a) Giving thanks to the Father.
(1) This is where we have to be.
(2) Look at EPH 5:20 and 1 Thess 5:18
(a) We may not necessarily give thanks for everything (works of darkness)
(b) But we most definitely canned give thanks in the midst of everything.
2. The 2nd ½ of verse 12 says, “which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:”
a) The NIV translation says, “giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.”
(1) Eph 1:11 Says, “In whom also we have obtained an inheritance,”
(2) Eph 1:14 Talks about the HS being the earnest of our inheritance. Verse 18 says, “that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,”
(3) Turn to 1 Peter 1:3-4.
(a) There is laid up for us an inheritance and a CROWN.
(b) (2 Tim 4:7-8) Says, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”
II. Col 1:13
A. The word “POWER” in this verse is the Greek word “ἐξουσία” which literally means, “POWER OF AUTHORITY or POWER TO ACT.”
1. There was one time that we were under the control of Satan.
a) Jesus said in (John 8:44) “Ye are of your father the devil,”
b) At one time we were of the kingdom, but now we are of the kingdom of light. Read V 13
B. Listen to the NIV translation, “For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,”
1. In Gen 1:28, God said, “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
a) God created us to have dominion, but thru Adam’s sin, Satan gained dominion.
b) But now thru the work of Christ, we have been delivered from the dominion of Satan AND brought into His kingdom.
2. Eph 1:19-23.
WOLCC Thursday, February 06, 2003 Thursday, February 27, 2003
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (Col 1:13). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.